Author Topic: WWIIOL is finally worth the money  (Read 3014 times)

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
WWIIOL is finally worth the money
« on: November 07, 2003, 09:05:11 AM »
With the introduction of v1.10, I feel that this game is where it should've been during it's initial release.

With my new system, I can play it @1280x1024x32 with 4x AA and 16x AF, and my fps range between the 60's and my monitor's vertical refresh rate of 85.

There has been a lot of ex-Warbirds people signing up for WWIIOL recently. Myself and some other current AH'ers have joined up in a squad called No.66 Commando, which is primarily an infantry squad. This squad consists of a mixed group of WB and AH players, and we're having a ball so far.

I know there was a lot of bad blood between AH and WWIIOL on this forum, but if you have even the slightest interest in the progress of the game, I would say now it's finally safe to rejoin.

I had a great gaming night last night, flying AH for an hour, followed up by an hour ground pounding in WWIIOL.

Both accounts cost me a total of $26.98 each month. That's a pretty small price to pay for the amount of fun I'm having.

Offline MC_Honky

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2003, 09:22:12 AM »
Its soo hard to get into the game for a Newbie.  The interface is not intuitive.  AH was easy for me.

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2003, 09:23:06 AM »
What processor/vid card is in your new system?

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2003, 09:30:28 AM »
Interested, but fearful of giving CC info to that company. I've heard too many horror stories.

If they did a 2 week free trial, no CC needed, that would get a ton of new players.

I'm taking an AH vacation right now, so I would most certainly try it...but...

Offline TPIguy

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2003, 09:39:22 AM »
I just signed up after not playing for over a year. Its better, but theres still alot of annoying bugs that have been there from the start.

the biggest problem IMO is the 32 limit, its extremely annoying and the cause of much frustration.

The addition of LMGs and smoke grenades have added alot to the infantry aspect, but its still lacking alot. In all its fun, especially if you're on top of a depot with a bren when an opel full of troops rolls up. The flight model is still a joke though.

Hey banana what time is your squad usually on?

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2003, 10:14:56 AM »
Mickey- I have an Intel P2.4 OC'd to 3.0 ghz, 1 GB RAM and Radeon 9800 Pro.

Muckmaw- I've opened and closed my account with CRS four times now as the game has progressed over the last two years, and have never had any problems either re-joining or closing it again.

TPIguy- The guys in my squad told me the current limit is 64 in one area, not 32. I'm still learning how to play again, too, so I'm sure there are still bugs. All I'm saying is that, for me, it's worth the money now.

My squad has organized missions on Tues & Saturday nights starting at about 9:00 Eastern.

I'm not going to become the next Hardcase around here, but I thought it was ok to post one little thread expressing my enjoyment of the latest incarnation of the game.

Offline TPIguy

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2003, 10:19:07 AM »
I've been reading the wwiionline forums, apparently it tracks 64, but displays a max of 32 at any one time. Thats why in big battles people, tanks etc... keep popping in and out of view.

Whats your handle ingame? I'll try to get ahold of you. Maybe we can blow up some germans or french.

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2003, 10:22:13 AM »
Originally posted by muckmaw
Interested, but fearful of giving CC info to that company. I've heard too many horror stories.

If they did a 2 week free trial, no CC needed, that would get a ton of new players.

I keep one CC at $350 for online stuff.
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2003, 11:54:52 AM »
Originally posted by muckmaw

WWIIOL does have 'quite often' those free trial times when you can play for certain period of time for free and without CC #, albeit not the kind of system like in AH.

Which leads me to remember my 2 weeks trial period in AH...
When I used my '2 weeks' to play AH, I got told by the admins about abusing the 2 weeks, who claimed I had made more than one accounts to play get benefit of the '2 week' trials... which I had not done.
Very nice huh?

(I played in open beta, but a few days before the end of it, I got bored of AH and returned only few months later - in open beta I did have three accounts, but that wasnt illegal, it was all free play and accounts obviously went to 0-bin after it)

Offline Czech

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2003, 06:22:37 PM »
The limit has always been 64 visible units, right from the start

Trouble with things popping in and out is that more often than not there are substantially more vehicles, troops and planes in any given battle than just 64.

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2003, 06:32:50 PM »
Show me a pic with 64 units, because I now believe it is 32 or less.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2003, 07:26:58 PM »
Originally posted by Czech
The limit has always been 64 visible units, right from the start

Trouble with things popping in and out is that more often than not there are substantially more vehicles, troops and planes in any given battle than just 64.

The limit was never 64 visible at the start.

At its not 64 visible right now either. Nobody knows for sure, but the theory is its 32 visible, 32 non-visible, with sort of biasing. At the end of the day we've had a squad form up at a rear town (ie no enemy near) and only been able to see up to about 12 friendly vehicles. Others would disappear with 50-100 metres range.

Offline lord dolf vader

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2003, 08:12:12 PM »
fish i was in the beta (i was towd and called you foot alot)and as i remeber we got no 2 week period, when the beta ended we got asked for card, is how i remember it.no trail for beta memebers.

perhaps you made a new account to get the two week trial not knowing that they meant for you not to get one at all because you were in the beta.

just a thought.

Offline Habu

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2003, 08:15:31 PM »
Hey banana glad to see you are having fun in there. I will look for you. What is your ingame handle?

I find that except for when you are flying over a big battle you rarely experience the 64 limit. I mostly fly over the smaller battles where my squad in fighting and so I don't see the limit as much. I am not into big furball type like fights, I prefer one on one knife fights or blasting through a 4 man formation and taking out one.

Because the planes are limited if you want to hold on to your 109E or D520 you really have to fly defensively and forego an extra kill sometimes to make sure you can get back and land your mission points.

On the ground I like to use the P-2 tank mostly. It has thin armour and it a sitting duck for allied tanks but you can pick off inf and planes are you are immune to MG bullets. When an enemy tank appears if it is a Mattie you run but sometimes you can take out an A13.

Great game now in this version. AH and WW2OL are the only two I follow anymore. I think most AH players with a positive ratio would be in the top 10% of the pilots in WW2OL. Often the pilots in that game are trying to take out ground targets that are threatening an attack and do not really fly for the sake of air to air fights. Sometimes they will totally ignore an attacking enemy plane in order to kill a tank that is shutting down a depot for example.

Bigger squads will set up an air defense over an attack that is well coordinated and very good. It is great to post a mission and get on the radio and organize a group to try to wrest air superiority from them. The big picture more than makes up for some minor bugs or irritants.

Offline ZOSO

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2003, 11:51:53 PM »
"64" limit has got to go.  Then it will be worth the money.  Whether they're friendlies or enemies, people popping in and out almost completely ruins the experience for me.