Author Topic: Hi - newbie help questions - need a plan  (Read 1665 times)

Offline TweetyBird

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Hi - newbie help questions - need a plan
« on: November 09, 2003, 04:01:12 PM »
Hi,

I'm a complete newbie to Aces high. I played the old wwII sim (you know the one with the big furball between a,b & c), but this seems a lot different. There's so many options just in the setup I'm still working on that.

Can someone give me a brief plan to learning this? I tried to fly in the main arena but was completely lost (I didn't have enough points for a spit?).

Any pointers to files or newbie training classes would be appreciated.
I have the voice thing working, so I imagine that would help greatly in training.

And hi to any old friends or foes who flew in those furballs between a,b & c :)

Tweety (Etch, 1911 etc.)

Edit : Hope I don't appear lazy. I am working through the help files, but a step by step to get up and running ( and dieing) would help a me a lot. Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2003, 04:10:45 PM by TweetyBird »

Offline zmeg

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2003, 04:17:49 PM »
It's very hard to understand whats going on for a noob in the MA, try h2h for a while 1st.

Offline Heretik

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2003, 04:19:57 PM »
First off, welcome to Aces High, kiss your social life goodbye :D

Secondly, you should hit the Training Arena. The trainers are a really decent bunch and should have you up and going in no time.

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2003, 04:30:07 PM »
You can find tons of info from these links

Offline Virage

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2003, 05:21:12 PM »
since you have vox working.. I'd type a message in the MA asking for a trainer to help you.  I'm sure u will find someone willing.  Keep asking if all you get is grief from the channel 1 crowd.
JG11

Vater

Offline Gooss

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.327th.com
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2003, 08:42:16 AM »
Hammer's done some great work at http://www.netaces.org.

Excellent information and well organized.
CHICKS DIG GULLWINGS
flying and dying since Tour 19

Offline TweetyBird

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Thanks for the help
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2003, 08:49:37 AM »
Thanks for the tips and links. netaces.org was exactly what I was looking for. There's a great overall plan for absorbing the vast amount of information.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2003, 08:52:08 AM by TweetyBird »

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2003, 11:37:43 AM »
Yes, definitely take a read at netaces.org. The fact that you played "Air Warrior" or one of its kind will be beneficial, too.  

One thing I used to do when I wanted to learn about the game was to "Fly the Plane That Shot Me Down Last".  It keeps things interesting for awhile and will help you develop a good idea of what plane is capable of doing what in a given situation.

Or, you can fly the same plane for awhile until you get comfortable in it.  Don't assume that the most popular planes (Spitfire IX, N1K2, P-51D, LA-7) will be the right ones for you.  For me, the P-51D is a challenge to get kills in and I've had horrible luck in the LA-7 (though they seem to be able to kill me with ease).  On the other hand, its easy for me to get kills in the 109G10, Yak 9U, Spitfire V, and Hurricane IIc.  Its just a matter of finding a couple of planes you like and learn them well.

You'll find that the speedier planes such as the LA-7, P-51D, 190D9, and 109G10 will allow you to escape from a bad situation though you may find it harder to line up a target long enough to get off a good shot.  On the other hand, the Spitfire V and IX and the N1K2 can turn with just about any plane through its maneuvers, but it'll be harder for you to extricate yourself when you end up on the wrong side of the fight - you'll have to finish what you start and hope you're the last plane flying.

My suggestion is, for your next flight, start with a Spitfire IX with the 2x cannons and 2x .50cals gun option.  Set up your stick so that you can fire one set of guns or the other or both (which means you'll want a stick with at least 3 buttons).  Get used to the different ballistics of the weapons.  You'll find that the .50cals and hispano cannons are the better weapons out there, so you can focus on learning the flight model(s) of the airplane(s) and the various game components, like setting up your viewing angles and such.  Then, try the Spitfire V.  It'll be slower and its 4x .303s aren't as potent as the Spit IX's 2x .50cals, but it'll give you a good contrast in speed and turning of the two planes.  The Seafire II (available on land as well as carriers) is similar to the Spit V.

That'll get you started. ;)

Offline MaddogJoe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2003, 04:55:59 PM »
you might want to check out the Mafias site too....links in the signature. You may remember the 444th Air Mafia from "That other game" :) From the Mafia main page just click on the Aces High help, and dig in. Most of the stuff there was writen with making the transision from "that other game" to AH in mind.

Good Luck, and welcome to Aces High!!

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2003, 06:18:47 PM »
Welcome to Aces High Tweety.
Came from AW myself when it died. Should have came here long before that.hehe
Try the Training Arena. There is usually someone in there who will help you. Either a regular player popping in to see if anyone needs help ( and many do this) or one of the AH training Cadre.
Ren or Ghosth are 2 that come to mind.

You are right there is alot to absorb and a pretty steep learning curve, but you'll be killing in no time:)

If you see me in the MA, TA or CT feel free to give a holler. Always willing to help out.

Cheers,
RTR
The Damned

Offline TweetyBird

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2003, 08:21:11 PM »
Well, up and killing, I don't know about that :)

I played AW on and off from when it was on Geni (they about bankrupted me) till EA bought it and retired it. I never was a threat - a dang good fat bloated slow target though :)

I had to try this when I saw Hitech was behind it. Its obvious an avid WWII enthusiast designed it - the prop has torque!.

Again thanks for all the links. I'm sure I'll be improving you k/d ratio in no time :)

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2003, 07:51:08 PM »
Ah, the genie days. Where I kept a spread sheet to track my hours. Imagine...$120 was considered a cheap month! Sheesh!!!

Anyway, come on by and visit us in the TA. Since you already have some flight experience we can give you some pointers, views, performance, etc that will help you get back up to speed.

Did you fly RR or FR in the old days? If RR your learning curve may be a hair steeper but you can also adjust your control throws, like we did in the other game. You pulling hi g's and riding the blackout tunnel in no time .

Ren

Offline Herbie

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.freebirdshome.us
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2003, 11:18:51 AM »
Some good info in the links posted above.  I have played Aces High a few times in the past but now I am an official subscriber for the first time.  I look forward to seeing you all in the MA!

Go Knights!!

Offline TweetyBird

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2003, 12:36:41 PM »
Hi Ren,

I flew RR most of the time. I have some FR experience under my belt from Gamestorm (BigT and Jihad gave me a lot of individual help over there). I can *usually* control spins, but I still pull way too many g's and suck at throttle usage. My gunnery sucks - always has and I guess always will :) My acms are too stiff and predictable. (Maybe I'm a bomber trapped in a spit's body? :) )
So where I have flown FR , I was never better than below average at it.

On the plus side my long and mid range SA is pretty good, but I still get tunnel vision in furballs. I think I have a least an average understanding of entergy and converting it to angles using separation etc. Not that I do it efficiently or correctly, but I think I know what I'm *supposed* to be doing.  Oh, I can turn tail and  run like hell with the best of em :)

I'll look for you or one of the other trainers in the TA.

Thanks!

Oh and I think one of the biggest problems I'm dealing with right now is the plane set. In AW  (for most of its history anyway) there was a limited plane set . So where I know how a Ki performs with a p38 or an F6 and how an F4U stacks up against a N1K1, I have no clue how a spit matches up with a hurricane, or how a P51B fights a LA-5FN. I guess thats just going to take time.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2003, 12:54:21 PM by TweetyBird »

Offline Marco50

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2003, 02:11:25 PM »
Welcome to aces high Tweety~~ :aok  

I think u will like AH arenas etc By the way i am marco50 in in charge of the Aces High DemoTeam in the Training arena_

How r U?:cool: