Author Topic: An Ironic Trend in Online Gaming - Political Correctness at its Worst  (Read 2881 times)

Offline Lance

• Silver Member
An Ironic Trend in Online Gaming - Political Correctness at its Worst
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2000, 01:12:00 PM »

There are so many people nowadays who are offended by things, I would say that its impossible to put the burden on the speaker. It is the listener who should have to take care of themselves..just like in real life.

BotaBing, you aren't the villain some are portraying you to be, you've just missed out on a couple of points.

With all rights come responsibilities.  You have a right to bear arms, but does that mean you can fire a gun in the air anywhere you want indiscriminantly?  Nope, of course not.  Likewise, given your right to free speech, does that mean you can say anything you want wherever you want?  Again, the answer is no.  In both cases you have a responsibility for what occurs as a result of your actions.

When you are in the arena, you aren't talking on the steps of your state capitol, you are communicating in someones privately owned business.  That business has every right to establish and maintain standards of behavior.  

In real life, burdens of conduct, speech, appearance, etc... are continually placed on people in public.  Can you stand up and recite the declaration of independence at the top of your lungs in a movie theater?  Can you go to a black-tie restaurant in a pair of speedos?  Ever see a "no shirt-no shoes-no service" sign?  How about a "no-loitering" sign?  All of these are examples of ways that business control the environments their customers find themselves in by controlling the conduct of their customers.  That is all that HTC is doing, and they have every legal, ethical and moral right to do it.  The effectiveness of their methods is a seperate issue that you raise valid points on.

Gordo

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2000, 03:27:00 PM »
Make fun of me Kilt and your a dead man

Acccccccccccccccccchhhh...tha t ain't oatmeal.

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2000, 04:32:00 PM »
LOL Torque!!

StSanta.. I grew up and went to school in Southern Califonia. I'm a 'Valley Boy'. The family next door was Japanese, down the block we had an African American couple, across the street two Hispanic families. The house behind ours was owned by an Italian. Our mailman was polish, the milkman was swedish, and our school principal was so damn german nobody could understand him.

We had some great block parties.

And there; in the San Fernando valley, in a little town called Reseda; cupcake; wop; spic, jap, pollack, kraut, square-head, etc were fightin words.

Maybe in europe; they take it diffrently.. that's ok. But I was raised to show respect for my fellow citizens.. and the above slurs were considered a major fopah in my town, and we tend to keep the counsel or our social conditioning. Even though I now live and work 3,000 miles from where I was raised, I do not address a Japanese person as "Hey; you there.. yah, you; the JAP; hey; you got the time?"

Hang
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

dudedog

« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2000, 06:35:00 PM »
So what's the racial slur for us americans, "cans"? Or better yet, I'm from california so I must be a "freakin' 'fornian"   Ugh sorry  

But truthfully, ya'll can call me any foul mouthed thing you can think, It's the CONTEXT that matters. My friends call me biatch, but being called "stupid" can be the worst if it's in an insulting manner. Dig? Filters are not the answer.