Author Topic: World gone mad!  (Read 413 times)

Offline Sundiver

• Copper Member
World gone mad!
« on: November 15, 2003, 11:55:18 PM »
WARNING LONG POST, LINK BELOW.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/local/7270210.htm

Woman defends sex-toys sale
By Ben Tinsley
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

A Burleson woman arrested after selling two sex toys to undercover police officers is preparing to challenge what she characterizes as a narrow and unfair application of a state obscenity law.

"I have not sold an obscene device; this is a device used to enhance a couple's relationship," said Joanne Webb, 42. Webb, a former fifth-grade teacher, is an executive board member for the Burleson Chamber of Commerce. "We are trying to bring romance back into the relationship."

Webb, who had never been arrested before, distributes Passion Parties products. They are sold to women in gatherings similar to Tupperware parties. The parties are for women only, and no one younger than 18 is allowed, Webb said.

On Thursday, the mother of three surrendered to authorities at the Cleburne Jail, posted $1,500 bail and was released.

Burleson police Capt. Doug Sandifer said his department dispatched undercover officers to buy the sex toys after receiving a tip about sales of illegal sexual devices. He said his department sent two undercover officers last month to Webb's husband's office, which has a Passion Parties logo on the window.

The officers, a man and a woman, purchased two sex toys for $63.11, Sandifer said. The toys are considered obscene under Penal Code Section 43:23, he said. Their sale is a Class A misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in jail and a $4,000 fine, he said.

"They walked in and engaged her in conversation and told her what they wanted, and she sold it to them," he said.

Johnson County Attorney Bill Moore, who authorized prosecuting Webb, could not be reached to comment Friday evening.

Webb said she had never before sold the toys from her husband's office.

"I don't keep any products at the office, and that's what I told this couple when they came in," she said. "I told them we could have a party, but she wanted to buy them then and there."

Webb said that she knew Burleson had ordinances prohibiting sexually oriented businesses but that the law she is accused of violating is the state penal code.

Webb's attorney, BeAnn Sisemore of Fort Worth, said she intends to challenge the law, which she called unconstitutional. The statute quoted by authorities addresses wholesale rather than retail sales of such products, she said. Furthermore, neither she nor her client considers the toys obscene, she said.

"Is it obscene to educate women how to communicate with men in their relationships?" Sisemore asked.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
Re: World gone mad!
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2003, 12:08:04 AM »
Originally posted by Sundiver
.....The toys are considered obscene under Penal Code Section 43:23, he said. Their sale is a Class A misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in jail and a $4,000 fine, he said.....

[Beavis & Butthead voice] He said 'penal' he he [/Beavis & Butthead voice]

This arrest is due to the justice department's flagrant misuse of the Patriot Act. Dam that Ascroft...
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
World gone mad!
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2003, 12:12:40 AM »
passion parties....

my buddy's wife went to one of these, a co-worker went to one...

this is the new big thing, like Avon or mary kay.

what i'd give to have a secter vid cam watching a bunch of these women (95% who go are women)mtest and demonstrate the "products" LOL

imagine what they talk about let alone "demonstrate"

if it was me i would NEVER let my wife go to one of these. just imagine they have a product on the table about 6.5-7" in size.. next to it a 8-10" unit. then nearby a 5-6" unit. your wife picks up one other then the big one and says "this is about what my husband is".

now every woman in that room knows the approxmate size of your unit (big or small why would you want all those socail friends knowing and next time you see then they snicker good or bad).

just too much problems arizing IMHO from these "parties"
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
World gone mad!
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2003, 04:37:56 AM »
Jesus christ, isn't there anything more worthwhile to spend our tax dollars on?

Offline lord dolf vader

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
World gone mad!
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2003, 08:27:11 AM »
compasionate conservatisme in action.

thanks republicans the new order has begun (circa 1000 ad)

Offline Heater

• Silver Member
World gone mad!
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2003, 08:52:18 AM »
Only in Texas,

You can buy a gun in five minutes,

But you can not have a dildo!
HiTech is a DWEEB-PUTZ!
I have multiple personalities and none of them like you !!!

Offline Rutilant

• Silver Member
World gone mad!
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2003, 08:56:36 AM »
Originally posted by Heater
Only in Texas,

:rofl

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
World gone mad!
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2003, 11:29:07 AM »
Originally posted by Heater
Only in Texas,

Guns are ok, have no use for a dildo. :cool:
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.