Author Topic: How to make Wild Wednesday....  (Read 665 times)

Offline Apache

• Silver Member
How to make Wild Wednesday....
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2001, 01:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by sling322:

I answered your question Apache....see above.    :)

As far as an alt cap goes, I might be in favor of the wind thing. But for right now I would like to get the new map in and see what you guys think before we start adding in alt cap rules.  The map we have under consideration is a little different than the one we have now because the fields are set at 8k alt and there are rings of hills around them that go up to almost 30k at the outer edge.  Its like a giant bowl.    :)

Hopefully we can get this one approved and up for use ASAP.

I feel so stupid.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2001, 01:15:00 PM »
One thing is you're missing one of the rules that the original AW KOTH event had and that was :

Once IN IN IN is called **ALL** pilots must be actively engaged in fighting.

Another was:

Alt limit is 5K when not engaged. 8K is max manuevering limit.

These eliminated the guys that would just tool around the arena waiting for the crowd to get culled by everyone else. Regardless its still an honor system thing.

Remember guys--its supposed to be a pilot thing not a strategy thing. What if everyone just did laps around the arena? Heck you'd run out of time! Wouldn't be a very exciting event.

Another thing I don't like is that the same plane is used round after round. In AW we let whoever won the round select the plane for the NEXT round. Theoretically there'd be a different plane EVERY round and there usually was. Ya just never knew what you'd be flying ;). That way you get a good cross section of good pilots period not just good spit drivers or pony drivers or 109 drivers etc.

My thoughts anyway.

Drano

Gotta move this thing to Friday night and make it open ended too! Wednesday's a killer for me--kids etc. Hike up the challenge to 3 rounds won too and you've got something!

Originally posted by Midnight:
Less of a "I'll stay high until there are only a couple guys left to kill" event.

Fuel Limiters. Limit the fuel to 50% or whatever will give about 15 minutes or so per round.

If the object is that the winner is determined by the most kills per round, I would say this would prevent a lot of "stratiegic attack positioning" and get everyone into the fight quickly.

I've only been in one Wild Wednesday, and I spent the majority of the first round trying to catch Fester as he climbed and climbed. I finally got tired of it and went in after the 4 guys brawling under me.

If we all had fuel limits or something to prevent people from staying out of the fights, Wild Wednesday might get a lot more interesting.

[ 12-07-2001: Message edited by: Drano ]
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Rotorian

• Nickel Member
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2001, 01:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by Drano:
the original AW KOTH event  

SACRILIGE!!!

I dare you mention such things.  Ban him to the dungeon  :D

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2001, 03:29:00 PM »
My my aren't we the bitter one, Rotor! Hehe. I got yer Sac-rilige right here! : )

Seriously tho, I was only pointing out that WW isn't a "new" event at all--its something that was "borrowed" from AW--KOTH. Fact. New to the AH guys--sure. For some reason that's not yet clear to me the AH team has only adopted *some* of the ruleset to the AW/KOTH event. There's no reason to re-invent the wheel here. We flew this event for quite a long while and the rules were developed *over time* for certain reasons. These reasons are now becoming clearer to some (Midnight for example) but not others <shrug>.

Why waste time coming to the same conclusions that we came to long ago over in AW? That's pretty much where I'm comin from here. This has all been done already folks. Which sim its in simply isn't relevant.

Drano

"If everybody's thinking the same thing, then nobody's thinking!"---Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf

Originally posted by Rotorian:

SACRILIGE!!!

I dare you mention such things.  Ban him to the dungeon    :D

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Rotorian

• Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2001, 04:15:00 PM »
Originally posted by Drano:
My my aren't we the bitter one, Rotor! Hehe. I got yer Sac-rilige right here! : )

Damn it, I hate being countertrolled :P

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2001, 05:10:00 PM »
New to the AH guys--sure. For some reason that's not yet clear to me the AH team has only adopted *some* of the ruleset to the AW/KOTH event.
You can blame me for that. Please keep in mind what the AW folks enjoyed may not be what the AH crowd would. Now, by no choice of our own we are one.  :) WW is an idea from AW, and a good one.  TOD is an idea from WB, again a good one. TOD is not the S3's and WW is not KOTH. What worked well in WB or AW may not here. The community is different, the AC are different, the CM tools are different. Don't make the mistake of thinking it worked there so it should work here.

The players from AW have a lot to offer and WW is just one of those items. WW might end up identical to KOTH, but the road we use to get there IMHO needs to be our own.
---------------
CM C.O.daddog
Weekly Events
332nd Flying Mongrels
Noses in the wind since 1997
Snapshots & TOD!

Life is ten percent what you make it and ninety percent how you take it
Irving Berlin
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2001, 08:26:00 PM »
lazs making suggestions to an event he has never attended?

nice
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2001, 10:35:00 PM »
Fester making suggestions to an event he's never lost?  :)

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2001, 10:46:00 PM »
I should do these wild wednesdays, they sound like fun.  :D

However it seems the winner is always the one one who just sits back high and waits for
others to die, run out of gas, or run out of ammo.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2001, 07:58:00 AM »
They are fun, Grun. Don't let the discussion on a point ruin it for you. Best to get in and try, then you can make an informed observation. The "run and wait" strategy must have been noticed by more than me given the amount of discussion on it, but it seems to me there are plenty of useful suggestions for addressing the point. It will all get sorted out.

At any rate you owe it to yourself to try at least once.

Offline lazs1

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2001, 09:05:00 AM »
festabria... I guess my suggestion wouldn't sit well with you.  No surprise there eh?

No. I have not attended but I have been brought into this thing quite a bit.  Or, My handle has.  I feel I can mention what I think would make for a good event especially if it is as simple and obvious a one as I have stated.  Right now it seems custom tailored to festabria.   You have a good combination of skill and "strategic" self preservbation.   Not a bad thing but I would like to see more of a free for all.  less use of long range strategy.

See kieran for translation of above if there is any confusion.
lazs

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2001, 11:03:00 PM »
so why dont you try flying on wild wed lazs

the issue of the alt monkey is a lot less of an issue than people make it out to be till the very very end of the frame when you have to wait out some looser b&zing the other remaining player and everyone is getting impatient for the next frame.

after the initial climb that everyone does I and most others are at 5000 feet or less dogging. now if you call that strategic planning your wrong.  its more fighting people co e and avoiding the one guy up at 20k waiting for the end of the frame.

Ive only found one gross sick instance of alt monkey disease. and that was when f5bomber stayed up at 20k after everyone else was dead and I was at 2k. he stayed up there for a good 5 minutes before he finally died doing some wierd zoom in front of my guns.

as for strategy the only time I start strategizing is when a group organizes to kill me, breaks the rules of the so called free for all and basically wings up with eachother for the specific mission to shoot me down at all costs. i drag them in a big circle around the center of the arena at low altitude wait for mistakes and reverse on them when some "alt dweeb" dives on them.

in the la5 ww (which I did not win) I made 3 people auger one after the other after the bounced me from above, on top of that gained 5 more kills from a disadvantage before being blown to hell by a "player with speed and alt" (i was at sea level) while in a desperate low speed scissors with tac.

so the event is what you make it. and I think you would like it a lot lazs. come try it out it is best event AH has going now.

only suggestion I would make is to have a designated ww terrain without walls but with an out of bounds circle which once crossed player is out of the frame and must auger or be booted by the ref. like football and stuff  :)
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2001, 08:49:00 AM »
But tell me, what is wrong with the "whoever has the most kills at the end of the time limit" idea? Seems to me it would force people to engage, which is the point, right?

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2001, 09:10:00 AM »
"But tell me, what is wrong with the "whoever has the most kills at the end of the time limit" idea? "

Just a far-fetched scenario, but if I saw Levi and Cit engageing each other, I could probably clean up a couple of guys in the back ground, score more kills then either of them, and still suck....

I'm looking forward to the new map. It sounds like there'll be no place for any potential accountants to hide.....

Offline lazs1

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2001, 09:16:00 AM »
I got nothing against WW.. Like I said, I will go there if I am not having fun in the main and if I don't have to wait around.  It's simply not important to me one way or the other.   Why?

Well.. I fight like that in the main anyway but can do it with a friend or two on RW. With no start times or rules.   I come in at medium alt to a big fur... There are people co (or reasonably so) alt and people below me and guys people alt monkeying around the fur.  In the main.. wussies being clever have little or no effect on me.  They are in their own game.  I don't have to participate.  It makes no difference if I fly, kill, die, reup 10 times while they are off playing sky accountant.   How would WW be better than that?

the time limit would at least make all styles play under the same handicap and would determine who was the best (and/or luckiest)in a fur not.. Who was the most consevative or cleverest.  Clever has never been cute to me.  furvballs would seem to be about fighting... "Wild" would seem to be about chaotic not clever.  Even one dufus at 20k would kinda spoil it I would think.
lazs
lazs