Author Topic: Last days of Luftwaffe setup.  (Read 2209 times)

Offline Jester

• Gold Member
Last days of Luftwaffe setup.
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2003, 01:57:34 AM »
Before you guys get "TOO" wound up - the 262's, 234's, 163's (If any) and Tempests will be limited as there weren't that many flying in country at the time. You can say "HISTORICAL" can't you? I knew you could.  :D But we will spread them a little thicker than last set-up to avoid any ulsers.

There is NO WAY to have 3 sides in the CT. First thing you will have some dweebs log-on in here and everything will go to HELL in a handbasket and we will have two MA's open. However, we CAN have two fronts - they will just both be the same figure on the chessboard. Sorry, try the MA if you want 3 sides. Be a pain in the kazoo to set up but can be done.

As for armor, Tigers will be available around certain key fields and pathways for the Germans. The Ruskies will also have the Tiger available in limited numbers to represent the "Guards" units with IS-2 heavy tanks & ISU special purpose guns. The US/BRITS will have to make out with the Panzer IV to represent the Sherman and depend more on their air power to take turff.

As for "Perk Points" I still believe it is the best way to regulate the rides to represent the availablility of the real models during WW2 but some out there have have this problem with "Perk Point Envy" so we may not use it this time. Still deciding on that.
Lt. JESTER
VF-10 "GRIM REAPERS"

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2003, 05:46:40 AM »
Ok looking good - to have 3 fronts vs 2 countries.

Still I against perks in this setup because it should be different from last setup and I'd like to see changing of game ballance when both forces are getting closer to central part of the map.

Tempest - I do not know what numbers of Tempest was at the end of the war so? I think you can limit it on some rear bases - but it still can not be compared to LW jets.
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline scJazz

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2003, 07:55:34 AM »
It isn't Perk Point envy Jester. Simply put your erasing perks for each setup with perk planes causes the Law of Unintended Consequences to rear its' ugly head.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2003, 10:44:30 AM »
"As for "Perk Points" I still believe it is the best way to regulate the rides to represent the availablility of the real models during WW2 but some out there have have this problem with "Perk Point Envy" so we may not use it this time. Still deciding on that.
"
well your wrong. and dragging it up here in an inuslting way just shows how poor your judgement is in other issues.

Last days of the LW should have no bombers on LW side. A russian medium and full heavies in the west but with half strenght guns.
No base capture and ALL flack including high alt field ack at 300 % effectivness.

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2003, 11:18:38 AM »
I have yet to see a good argument as to why we should leave perk points untouched other than "cuz I want it".

If you want all the planes available then dont perk them to begin with.

If you need to limit certain rides, then reset to 0 and set a value.

I DO agree that in the last setup we needed more bases for the perked rides. One North, one in the Center, and one South would be a suggestion.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2003, 11:24:01 AM by Squire »
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2003, 11:45:08 AM »
Originally posted by Squire

Hard to quibble with that logic.

- oldman

Offline scJazz

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2003, 11:56:32 AM »
Originally posted by Squire
I have yet to see a good argument as to why we should leave perk points untouched other than "cuz I want it".

If you need to limit certain rides, then reset to 0 and set a value.

I DO agree that in the last setup we needed more bases for the perked rides. One North, one in the Center, and one South would be a suggestion.

Ok the more bases thing and attendant N/S/Center thing is my suggestion. Please credit your (my) ideas.

To repeat myself yet again...

Resetting perk points does not limit the number of perk planes in any appreciable way.

Within an hour on Day1 of the Drive scenario I earned enough to start flying perk planes. By the end of Day 1 I had enough perk points to fly perk planes exclusively if that is what I wanted to do. For people who flew CT rarely, either because they are MA players or just get limited stick time, the comments were the same... "Where did my perk points go?!?". Followed almost immediately by said person leaving the CT. The rare CT flyers will not have the time to earn the perks to fly the perk planes after a reset. Those of us who fly regularly in the CT will have enough by middle of Day 2. Even those who had the perks to fly perk planes consistently did not do so. Obviously the cost of the perk plane and the availability of perks was not the limiting factor. The limiting factor was player choice. So getting back to the Law of Unintended Consequences (sometimes referred to as The Butterfly Effect in Chaos Theory) instead of limiting the number of perk planes the reset limited the number of pilots.

Perk vehicles and aircraft in every setup and the massive piles of perk points that everyone is worried about ceases to exist. The only reason we have this problem is because for weeks on end we have nothing to spend them on. Why is this I wonder? Well as far as I can remember Brady never has perked aircraft in his setups. Why not? Buggered if I know the answer to that. Perk points are a part of AH. Brady is doing something that goes contrary to AH setup and gameplay. Massive piles of perks accrue. Then CMs feel they have to reset them to even things out. The CMs themselves are therefore perpetuating the self-reinforcing screwup.

(Brady used as example in above paragraph)

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2003, 12:14:46 PM »
Perks arent earned over a series of setups. The CT CMs used to assign ENY values to certain planes in combination with perk values.

It took pyro to come in and set those values. Instead of going through pyro every week to reset eny values its easier just to contact him when perk planes will be used. It's also fair to have all perks reset to 0 for set ups running perk planes. Not only because of the issue with the eny values but some folks simply don't fly regularly in the ct.

So during setups where there are no perked rides just consider eny values and perks to be set to 0 that way you don't feel "cheated".

You can't possibly think you "earned" those perks when there has been no adjustment to the eny values to reflect plane useage like in the main. For it to be fair the CT CMs would have evaluate each set up and assign eny values so Pyro could set them. It's too much work for to little gain.

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2003, 12:22:33 PM »
I have no problems with perks - but in this setup I'd like to see the balance of the game as function of Allied forced distance to center of the map. When they will come close - LW shoud be able to drop them back and when too far Allies limited planes will give an advantege.

I see no reason to make double limiting perks and rear bases - otherwise it will be too similar to "Dive on the Rieh" setup.

We should limit jets but in one way - not double.

Offline Squire

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2003, 12:22:51 PM »
"Ok the more bases thing and attendant N/S/Center thing is my suggestion. Please credit your (my) ideas. "

Cripes I just said I agreed with it, I didnt think I had to quote the source like a book report from High School :)

The whole "people logged in, saw they had no perks and left" argument holds no water. CT setups that are popular have #s, and personally, I dont care if a few leave over it. It does not justify the vast majority of CT players with huge ammounts of perk points rendering the whole system futile to start with. If you had enough for the last setup...then be happy with that and dont worry about it.

...oh yes, one last thing, dont make the mistake of assuming these issues have not been raised before. They have. The bases, the perks, the perks being reset. Fair enough?
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
      • http://personal.jax.bellsouth.net/jax/t/y/tyr88/JG2main.html
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2003, 12:27:38 PM »
I have used perks on ocashion in the past but in General I dont care to make use of them in my set up's, in part because I rarely run set up's that would require them, I havent run any late war Europe set up's since we first had the Rhine map last year. I also dont care for their use in limiting planes for a Number of reasion's some of Which Batz points out above.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2003, 12:40:55 PM »
I took it as insulting because it was meant to be insulting.

Offline Squire

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2003, 01:38:29 PM »
Well in the last two setups that used them, things seemed to go just fine. Im not advocating their use in every setup...thats not required.

I would rather see some setups with them than the constant "we cant add plane x" because its 25mph faster arguements we always get.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2003, 03:32:56 PM »
Storch, that's the best way to approach it.

If you understand the eny values then you see that these would need to be adjusted in each set up.

This would mean every week they need to be readjusted. This of its self would start numerous arguements "How dare you give the 109 an eny value of xx you biased allied farm boi" etc...

I think requiring perk planes in the ct should only be necessary when its clear a given plane would upset the balance. Even then they should be given a low perk value.

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
Re: Last days of Luftwaffe setup.
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2003, 04:21:43 PM »
So lets make some conclutions:

Western forces:

USAF and RAF
  • P-51D
  • P-47D30
  • P-38L
  • Spitfire Mk XIV
  • Typhoon
  • Tempest Mk V - from rear bases only
  • Mosquito Mk VI
  • B-17
  • B-26
  • C-47
  • M-3, M-8, M-16, Panzer

Central Map forces

LW
  • 109G-6
  • 109G-10
  • 190D-9
  • 190F-8
  • 190A-8
  • Ta-152
  • Me 262 *
  • Me 163 *
  • Ar 234 *
  • Ju-88
  • Bf 110G-2
  • Ju-52 (C-47)
  • M3, Panzer, Ostwind, Tiger

* from 3 bases on in center one at north and one at south.

Eastern Forces
VVS
  • La-7
  • Yak-9U
  • Yak-9T
  • Il-2
  • C-47
  • M3, M-16, T-34 (Panzer), Tiger

The map is Ruhr - when the western part is UASF and  RAF, estern is VVS and the central is LW when Jets are avialable only at 3 bases - nothing is perked.

Fuel burn raitio is 2.0.

Did I miss something?

When could it be run?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2003, 01:16:37 AM by artik »