Author Topic: P51 flight model  (Read 1577 times)

Offline TweetyBird

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
P51 flight model
« on: December 10, 2003, 06:05:59 PM »
If this stays as is, the P51 is going to be a much more attractive plane. Online, it seemed the p51  I was fighting was zooming incredibly. I tested one off line. I took 75% fuel and nothing else.I leveled off at 15k and let it get to full speed at full throttle - no wep. Went into a 45 degree dive to the point of compression ( shaking and  - supposedly losing E) which was about 5k. I then went into a 2g 45 degree climb and got back to 15k with no problem. The plane lost no e, exept instead or 350knts (or whatever its top level speed is at 15k), it was 120knts at the top of the zoom. That is incredibly e efficient. I don't think a hog could do that.

It also seems it climbs at 175knts, about 2.8, which is DARN close to a spit.

Granted, I haven't tested it a lot, but at first glance it seems the climb aspect of the p51 has been supercharged. I always knew it dove like a brick, but it used to climb like a brick as well and not very e- efficient. I thought the nickname runstang came from the fact is they were more capable of "extending" than zooming.

I'm new, and going back to old fm of WWII planes and their characteristics. But I didn't see much difference here as most p51's were "extending" and not zooming, so I assumed the characteristics of the plane is not that much different from what I know.

Well in AHII, zooming is a definite option of the p51.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
P51 flight model
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2003, 07:17:15 PM »
The P51 definately feels more pleasant at low speeds in AH2.
In RL th climbing was ok, P51's even chased and caught 190's "uphill"
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
Re: P51 flight model
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2003, 07:23:57 PM »
Originally said by Some WWII Vet on TV
What a Spit could do for 45 minutes, the P51 could do for hours more

Offline TweetyBird

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
P51 flight model
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2003, 08:31:53 PM »
I've been playing with the p51D model of AH offline, and it ( even though the climb rate is slightly less than the AHII model), is very e efficient. I just remember the old AW model. It dove great but wasn't very e efficient. I do a simple test - climb to 15k dive 45 degrees to compression and do a 2g climb back to the top. If I get all the way back, I figure its pretty e efficient. The test I remember from the AW days was you'd be about 2k short at the top. In AH you get back to 15k with no sweat. Obviously its true, no two sims will be the same. I'm not ready to comit to it, but I think I'll spend a lot more time offline playing with it.

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
P51 flight model
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2003, 03:55:19 AM »
Yes, but the Spit did it 2 years earlier...:)
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
P51 flight model
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2003, 10:23:57 AM »
Just fooled around with the G10 for about 3 minutes; all the time I have right now.

From takeoff roll up into a few loops and rolls (then I had to auger) it "felt" much better than AH1.

I think this is going to be really good.

It's still a bit too squirrley right at the beginning of t/o roll; I think the wing rocking is a bit over pronounced. However, after getting up in the 40-50 mph range, it's the closest I've felt to taking off in a taildragger in any game so far.

Just my initial off the cuff impression. I'm interested in fooling with all the planes in 2 a lot more now. The rolls and pulls "felt" better too.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Reaper5

• Zinc Member
P51 flight model
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2003, 04:12:32 PM »
Originally posted by Squire
Yes, but the Spit did it 2 years earlier...:)

Yeah, but weren't new spit models still coming out when the P-51d first showed itself?  And they still weren't a match for the Mustang.

Offline mold

• Copper Member
P51 flight model
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2003, 07:48:09 AM »
Originally posted by Reaper5
Yeah, but weren't new spit models still coming out when the P-51d first showed itself?  And they still weren't a match for the Mustang.

Maybe in things like range.  In a 1v1 fight, SpitXIV beats P51D easily.

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
P51 flight model
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2003, 07:55:52 AM »
Depends on pilot

Offline mold

• Copper Member
P51 flight model
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2003, 09:24:33 AM »
Naturally it depends on the pilots, it always does...  Equal decent pilots, I say XIV wins easily.

Offline save

• Gold Member
P51 flight model
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2003, 09:44:39 AM »
Remember that the p51 excelled in RANGE more than dogfighting.

Without that plane the war would probably have been prolonged to 1946.

spitfire compared was a pointdefense fighter - and a good one.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
P51 flight model
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2003, 11:36:29 AM »
Originally posted by Reaper5

idiot, Spit 14 can outperform P51 in virtually every respect except range.  And it entered service before P-51D.

Spitfire Mk XIV ... 1-44!; The Spitfire entered service with 610 Squadron on January 3rd, 1944. 3-44 is the date of the first kill (a Ju88), but it was operational and on patrols prior to that.

P51D ... 5-44?; The P-51D entered production in 2-44, so it clearly did not enter service in 1-44. I have looked and looked for a service entry date or a theatre arrival date for the P-51D, but have not (shockingly so given the aircraft's fame), been able to find even a hind. I am guestimating a 3 month lag between entering production and entering service.

P-51 IS DA PLANE DAT WON DA WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEST PLANE EVA!!!!11 :rolleyes:

from http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=100989&highlight=date+into+service
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
P51 flight model
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2003, 11:42:53 AM »
Also take note that they did not push their planes as hard as we do, they of course had more to risk.

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
P51 flight model
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2003, 11:46:55 AM »
Originally posted by Furball
P-51 IS DA PLANE DAT WON DA WAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEST PLANE EVA!!!!11 :rolleyes:

Dont you think that role belongs to the B-29 with big man and little boy;)

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
P51 flight model
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2003, 01:52:16 PM »
The war was already over by the time the big bombs were dropped. Japan was ready to surrender.

I don't think any of the bomber operations were significant in strategic value, except maybe the continuous pounding after March, 1945.