Author Topic: War  (Read 6055 times)

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
War
« on: December 30, 2003, 02:29:24 AM »
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed."
President Dwight D. Eisenhower
April 16, 1953

"A billion here, a billion there. Pretty soon it starts to add up to some real money."
Credited to Everett M. Dirksen

What is 87 billion?

What is the significance of 87 billion?

Cheerfully brought to you by a middle of the road independent.

curly

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
War
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2003, 02:30:56 AM »
Very good post.

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
War
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2003, 02:34:36 AM »
very good post.

incase you missed the post last week on the book "war is a racket" you might want to check it out.  it adds further weight to your apoint from an author that the pro-war types have a hard time dis-crediting.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
War
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2003, 02:41:50 AM »
Originally posted by Animal
Very good post.

Translation:

I like this post very much because it fits in really well with my preconceptions and irrational hatred of Bush.

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
War
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2003, 02:46:00 AM »
I like this post very much because it fits in really well with my preconceptions and irrational hatred of Bush.

Translation:

I am gay.
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
War
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2003, 02:51:56 AM »
Originally posted by Maniac
Translation:

I am gay.

Another brilliant contribution by Maniac...  But thats ok, I know the Saddam capture hit you pretty hard and you are still recovering your full facilities.. Perhaps you could hit the bottle some more, or watch another cheerful Disney family cartoon...

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
War
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2003, 03:02:26 AM »
Another brilliant contribution by Maniac... But thats ok, I know the Saddam capture hit you pretty hard and you are still recovering your full facilities.. Perhaps you could hit the bottle some more, or watch another cheerful Disney family cartoon...

Translation:

I do not know how to make insults.

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
War
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2003, 03:05:05 AM »
During the Vietnam war, Lyndon B. Johnson said (paraphrase) "He wanted to electrify Vietnam -- he wanted to dam the rivers so people away from the urban centers could enjoy the benefits of modern life."

I'm confident a lot of his phrases were grist for the political mill, but make no mistake, LBJ was a serious social reformer.

LBJ made one serious error.  He didn't understand the culture of Vietnam.  He didn't understand they didn't want a version of American culture brought to their country.  The war in Vietnam was never about communism versus other forms of government.  The North Vietnamese used the Soviets/USA friction point to fund their war.  To be sure, North Vietnamese were token communists, but the war was never about the form of their government!  It was about getting the French/American influence out of Vietnam.

GB is making the same error in Iraq.  The lens in his microscope focuses on Western European/North American values.  That is a horrible error.  GB assumes the average Iraqi feels the same horror he feels when a "Warrior of God" pulls the cord on 2 pounds of semtex strapped to his chest.  Major error!

It's not that I don't have sympathy for the ordinary citizen in Iraq, for I do.  But I recognize that I am clueless when it comes to assessing what is important to the Iraqi citizen.

What will $87 billion buy you?  Go read Toad's thread on Ozkansas.  How many of you have lost someone you loved to cancer?   Would $87 billion cure cancer?  Hell, I dunno, but I would rather spend my money on a cause where the folks involved will be appreciative.

curly

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
War
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2003, 03:09:59 AM »
Originally posted by Maniac

I do not know how to make insults.

Correct.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
War
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2003, 03:15:40 AM »
Originally posted by AKcurly

1)  GB is making the same error in Iraq.  The lens in his microscope focuses on Western European/North American values.  That is a horrible error.  GB assumes the average Iraqi feels the same horror he feels when a "Warrior of God" pulls the cord on 2 pounds of semtex strapped to his chest.  Major error!

2) But I recognize that I am clueless when it comes to assessing what is important to the Iraqi citizen.

Statements 1 and 2 that you made above are in direct contradiction.

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
War
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2003, 03:27:18 AM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ
Statements 1 and 2 that you made above are in direct contradiction.

Incorrect Grun.  While I am clueless about Iraqi motivations, I'm ok with understanding American motivations.

Read for content Grun and stop the mindless buzzing. :)

curly

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
War
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2003, 03:31:10 AM »
Incorrect Grun. While I am clueless about Iraqi motivations, I'm ok with understanding American motivations.

Translation in Grunīs mind:

Akcurly is a Bush hater.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
War
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2003, 03:31:20 AM »
No Curly.

To make the first staement you must assume some knowledge of Iraqi values, otherwise how could you say that US policy towards Iraqi people was wrong? Horrible Error! Major Error! etc.

But then you say you have no idea whats important to Iraqis. So if you have no idea of whats important to iraqis how can you say that the USA is not providing it?

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
War
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2003, 03:39:16 AM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ
Translation:

Wrong. Bush or the current administation did not cross my mind when I read Curly's post. The only one with preconceptions here is yourself.

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
War
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2003, 03:40:58 AM »
Do not wear a blue hat... or you will be dubbed "Bush Hater" by Grunherz...

Is he REALY your mentor Grun ? C'mon...
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.