Author Topic: How to get a high rank  (Read 28163 times)

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #180 on: January 07, 2004, 08:13:53 PM »
Hehehe.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Rank means bugger all.
« Reply #181 on: January 07, 2004, 08:31:01 PM »
I have just made one of my rare checks of the online roster. I remember fighting against one of the guys who is currently ranked in the top 10. And he was a total HO dweeb. I filmed him trying to force the HO in his Hurr-2 against my F6F. Thought he was a dweeb, but seems he's a high ranking dweeb. I don't think I'll bother checking rank any more.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
How to get a high rank
« Reply #182 on: January 07, 2004, 08:53:59 PM »
Originally posted by Dead Man Flying

My point in this thread has been that rank does not necessarily provide an accurate measure for skill, though I recognize that in a game sense it provides an accurate measure of how successfully people engage in activities that, on the whole, increase fighter rank.  Think of it this way... if Tiger Woods brings all of his clubs and a GPS device, he's going to defeat a lesser-skilled player who does the same.  He will succeed.  If the no-name player brings all of the clubs and the GPS device but Woods does not, then the no-name player succeeds.  If Woods and the no-name player both bring all of their clubs and a GPS device with them, Woods wins.  If Woods plays against someone of exactly the same skill level and uses all of his clubs and a GPS device while the other player does not, he will succeed in winning the tournament.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Dude, if Tiger brought all his clubs and nothing else, and was playing to win, he would always beat the no name.  If he was playing aginst another top golfer who was using the advantages of his coice, it would be Tigers to lose.  By which I mean he only loses when he makes mistakes.  He posesses the skill needed to win, regardless of what the other players are doing.

Which goes to the point I was making.  A skilled AH player (meaning the aspects you would look to) can rank to a position matching to their abilities at will just by playing the whole game.  

I think the misunderstood part you elude to, is not as great as you might think.  If we all showed up at that golf tourney, we would know who the most skilled golfers were before it ever started.  There are alot of commers and goers in AH, does it really matter what they think before they are schooled?  The core group, the 'regulars' know who the most skilled players are.  Anyone who ranks #1 fighter, and #1 overall in a tour has been around long enough to still know what players would either a) still kick their butt or b) be a real challenge to them 1v1.  Of course some are cockey, and would have to be shown, but they know.  In any event it does not detract from their own acomplishment.

Lower down in the ranks Im sure it does get muddled a bit with so-so players and top notch players that dont give a rats posterior.  What I have been trying to point to is that above a certian level it is a competition of skills, and the most skilled players competing will rise to the top.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2004, 08:57:07 PM by Murdr »

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #183 on: January 07, 2004, 09:48:29 PM »
Originally posted by Murdr
I think the misunderstood part you elude to, is not as great as you might think.  If we all showed up at that golf tourney, we would know who the most skilled golfers were before it ever started.  There are alot of commers and goers in AH, does it really matter what they think before they are schooled?  The core group, the 'regulars' know who the most skilled players are.  Anyone who ranks #1 fighter, and #1 overall in a tour has been around long enough to still know what players would either a) still kick their butt or b) be a real challenge to them 1v1.  Of course some are cockey, and would have to be shown, but they know.  In any event it does not detract from their own acomplishment.
[/B]

This really is what I've been trying to say all along.  Ultimately, players create short lists in their heads of players whom they feel deserve their respect or fear or whatever.  Often this sort of personal ranking may not coincide with fighter rankings because it qualitatively measures relative skill rather than quantitatively measuring success.  Hence, fighter rank does not necessarily provide the best guage of skill where, say, experience and context might provide that instead.  

Lower down in the ranks Im sure it does get muddled a bit with so-so players and top notch players that dont give a rats posterior.  What I have been trying to point to is that above a certian level it is a competition of skills, and the most skilled players competing will rise to the top.

I'm not so sure that I agree that above a certain level it's all about skill, not unless everyone brings the same cards to the table.  There are, shall we say, some methods for increasing success that require less skill than others.  I would, for example, consider a high ranking player who employs conservative flying and BnZ 75% of the time as more skilled than someone who spends 75% of the time in fighters scoring vulching missions as fighter sorties.  Both are perfectly acceptable techniques for maximizing fighter rank, but one requires relatively more skill and patience.  If two players pursue rank in identical ways, then skill becomes the determining factor rather than strategy.

It's all good.  :)

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
Re: Rank means bugger all.
« Reply #184 on: January 07, 2004, 09:49:34 PM »
Originally posted by beet1e
I have just made one of my rare checks of the online roster. I remember fighting against one of the guys who is currently ranked in the top 10. And he was a total HO dweeb. I filmed him trying to force the HO in his Hurr-2 against my F6F. Thought he was a dweeb, but seems he's a high ranking dweeb. I don't think I'll bother checking rank any more.

It is what? Week 1 of the tour?  Paraphrasing a NASCAR related quote...Nobody ever remembers who led lap 1, or at the half-way point.  Everybody remembers who led the lap when the checkered flag waved.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #185 on: January 07, 2004, 10:16:19 PM »

This really is what I've been trying to say all along.  Ultimately, players create short lists in their heads of players whom they feel deserve their respect or fear or whatever.  Often this sort of personal ranking may not coincide with fighter rankings because it qualitatively measures relative skill rather than quantitatively measuring success.  Hence, fighter rank does not necessarily provide the best guage of skill where, say, experience and context might provide that instead.

Then WTF we arguing about?  LOL  

I'm not so sure that I agree that above a certain level it's all about skill, not unless everyone brings the same cards to the table.  There are, shall we say, some methods for increasing success that require less skill than others.  I would, for example, consider a high ranking player who employs conservative flying and BnZ 75% of the time as more skilled than someone who spends 75% of the time in fighters scoring vulching missions as fighter sorties.  Both are perfectly acceptable techniques for maximizing fighter rank, but one requires relatively more skill and patience.  If two players pursue rank in identical ways, then skill becomes the determining factor rather than strategy.

It's all good.  :)

-- Todd/Leviathn

If you think it is easy to find vulching, I may just have to follow you around so I can be there too :)  
How many times have you seen this?  
Too many friendlies, no uppers.  
Too many friendlies, 1 upper, 20 friendlies to race against.
Ineffective friendlies (they all eventually died) too many uppers.
Ineffective friendlies, leave ack and vh up, get low and slow turnfighting next to the airfield.  
Efective enemy, leave 2 bait guys while 20 are otw from the next field.
;)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2004, 10:19:31 PM by Murdr »

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #186 on: January 07, 2004, 10:24:08 PM »
If you think it is easy to find vulching, I may just have to follow you around so I can be there too :)

:D  It's really easy to find vulches from carriers.  Just wait until everyone in the area achieves local air superiority (and maybe even help out while flying in attack mode).  Then grab an F4U-1C in fighter mode and let the fun begin.  The worst that can usually happen in this situation is nothing... nobody comes up.  At best you're looking at a substantial number of kills in a very short period of time with a high hit percentage.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #187 on: January 07, 2004, 11:19:39 PM »
LMAO, I just do that for fun.  You mean you get paid too?  Ahh the wonderful thing AH is :) (The worst that can happen is CV gets sunk and one of the previously stated situations develop)  At the very least you need good stratigic SA for that i suppose.  Sounds like a player deciding whether he can make the tough shot to set for the eagle, or just lay up and settle for a birdie.  Eagle will still win the hole ;)

Ultimately, players create short lists in their heads of players whom they feel deserve their respect or fear or whatever.  
-- Todd/Leviathn [/B]

Levi...you say fear...that reminds me of a story.
:rolleyes: It goes back to AW days, so ya all lurkers can just scroll on by :rolleyes:
I was in BigPac one night and there was a mass boot.  All but 6 of us were booted.  There was no marker within 5 sectors, so I landed my pj on the carrier, and upped it at the fightertown atol.  After grabbing for a minute a dot comes into vis about 3k higher (great :( )

unnamedplayer: who is the cz pj that just upped at FT?
Murdr: )

Dot moves into vis.  High spit. :(

unnamedplayer: oh no...

3k alt advantage with a spit over a pj!  He turned and ran!  I chased him down and killed him, but I couldnt believe it. Fear?  I had no idea.  LOL too funny.  Being an average dweeb here is also fun though ;)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2004, 11:27:21 PM by Murdr »

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #188 on: January 07, 2004, 11:33:12 PM »
LMAO, I just do that for fun.  You mean you get paid too?  Ahh the wonderful thing AH is :) (The worst that can happen is CV gets sunk and one of the previously stated situations develop)  At the very least you need good stratigic SA for that i suppose.  Sounds like a player deciding whether he can make the tough shot to set for the eagle, or just lay up and settle for a birdie.  Eagle will still win the hole ;)
[/b]

hehe Well, in a situation where your side enjoys local air superiority, the probability that someone would sink the carrier is pretty low to non-existent.  Let the vulch commence!

Levi...you say fear...that reminds me of a story.

It's intriguing, but fear is definitely one of the emotions that people feel in this game.  NathBDP was the master of creating fear and anger, all of which were really just his way of making opponents fly against him at less than their potentials.  I've seen perfectly excellent pilots do really stupid things when blinded by anger or self-doubt in this silly little online game.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #189 on: January 07, 2004, 11:54:57 PM »

hehe Well, in a situation where your side enjoys local air superiority, the probability that someone would sink the carrier is pretty low to non-existent.  Let the vulch commence!

He says as the 20k lancs are flying over the CV, and everyone dumbly looks at each other while someone is voxing "We need ord for that SB.  Who has ord?"

Psycology is one of the funnest parts of the game.  Its required for roping.  Even little things like 'I know you are going to be out of range in a second, so I am gonna spite ping you to make you panic and evade some of that E off to reel ya in'.  It is intriguing...wait...dam...I agree with you again :rolleyes: well there goes the thread...we were almost to 200 too :(

g'nite :)

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #190 on: January 08, 2004, 12:08:20 AM »
Originally posted by Urchin
Dude, I have NEVER heard of that show... EVER.  Hell, I thought shane was talking about South Park.. which I don't watch but I have least heard of.  When was this other show on TV?  I figured I was at least as old as Shane....  

My guess (without doing a google) would be around 1973-1977.  Bell bottoms and all.  Somewhere in that range, I was pretty young then.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
How to get a high rank
« Reply #191 on: January 08, 2004, 01:28:29 AM »
I was in kindergarten when it first started, so that would have to be around '75 and I think ended in '80 or maybe the year before.  As a kid I thought that was the funniest shows and then a few months ago watched a rerun of it and thought, this is one stupid show.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #192 on: January 08, 2004, 01:45:32 AM »
He says as the 20k lancs are flying over the CV, and everyone dumbly looks at each other while someone is voxing "We need ord for that SB.  Who has ord?"
[/B]

But that would indicate a lack of local air superiority.  :)

Psycology is one of the funnest parts of the game.  Its required for roping.  Even little things like 'I know you are going to be out of range in a second, so I am gonna spite ping you to make you panic and evade some of that E off to reel ya in'.  It is intriguing...wait...dam...I agree with you again :rolleyes: well there goes the thread...we were almost to 200 too :(
[/b]

We're not so different, you and I.

Now if only we could get HiTech onboard.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #193 on: January 08, 2004, 01:47:36 AM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
I was in kindergarten when it first started,

Dang, I thought he was going follow that sentence with something like... he used to crawl up real high on the jungle gym and jump on some unsuspecting kindergartener.  Or when there was a playground fight he would kidney punch the one that had their back turned.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #194 on: January 08, 2004, 01:48:41 AM »
You guys are old.

This doesn't prevent you from using technology however.  Here is the IMDB link to "Welcome Back, Kotter."  It ran from 1975 to 1979.

-- Todd/Leviathn