Author Topic: Nice! but lose the walking...  (Read 1693 times)

Offline stimpy

• Zinc Member
Nice! but lose the walking...
« on: September 29, 1999, 10:15:00 AM »
Pretty nice for v.33 beta...  Good job.  I like the micro-management in the game.  But one thing, lose the walking sequences, it drove me mad last night waiting those few seconds...

stimpy

Starky

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 1999, 10:45:00 AM »

Really? I think this few seconds walking time is a good idea. If replaning is just a click, we will have many more QuakeAces(tm) here, especially when defending fields.

I like that it takes some time to replane, this is a step away from a game and a step into a simulation.

-Starky-

Papu

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 1999, 11:45:00 AM »
Nice point Starky, but I agree with Stimpy. The walk was cool at first, but quickly got too annoying for me.

Perhaps this could be made an option, with the default being set to "walk" so the new guys can see and say "cool". Then when "enough is enough" they'll find and uncheck the walk option  

Pooh

------------------
Papu "pooh" Tafao
WB: VMF-214 "The Blacksheep" (MAG-11)
www.tafao.com/vmf214

Offline stimpy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 1999, 11:48:00 AM »
Same way I felt.  It was pretty neat at first, but soon became monotonous.  Everything else is showing some very nice promise.  Flying around the cliffs dogfighting, then trying to climb back above them was a pretty cool feeling.  The fuel managment was fun.  For once I actually had to care about it, even with tanks and 100% load internal.  WB was just load and forget, unless you somehow put in 15% by mistake...

stimpy

-blk--

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 1999, 11:50:00 AM »
  I dunno.  At first (earlier int he alpha), I felt the same way about the walk.  First, it was cool, then it was annoying.

But after spending a bunch o time with AH, I don't mind it at all.  in fact, I like it, cause I can get a quick glimpse of what's going on at the field when I click "Hangar."  

I dunno, it's really an unsubstantiated feeling, but I like the walks (even though they were annoying for me at one point...)

blk

Offline Sharky

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.31stfightergroup.com
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 1999, 12:10:00 PM »
Hi all,

Lose the walk hell!  In fact slow it down!  Make it look as if your actually walking to the plane.

Additionally put the plane at the edge of the field an make pilots taxi to the apron.  Look with a free beta and when it goes pay with a flat rate there is no reason to rush to the nearest furball or to getting every second of an hour in the air.

Things like this add to the atmosphere of the game and will contribute to the strat of field defense.  OK for field defense you should be able to run to the plane  

Oh one last thing.  You know that unless you want to change something all you have to do is type fly and away you go in the same A/C with the same ammo and fuel as last sortie.

Back to your normally scheduled program.
Sharky

Offline dracon

• Nickel Member
      • http://myweb.cableone.net/decon14/
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 1999, 01:15:00 PM »
AGREED!!!  I hate the walking.  I'd rather it pause and flip there.

------------------

funked

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 1999, 02:37:00 PM »
The walking is good, and so is the engine warmup.  Keeps people from replaning every 5 seconds.  If you want instant respawn, try http://www.idsoftware.com/quake2/index.html.

I'd like to see a 5 minute minimum between replanes.

dole

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 1999, 02:46:00 PM »
If you press escape while walking you skip it...

Ozymandias_KoK

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 1999, 04:17:00 PM »
Ozagrees with blk, in that oz doesn't even notice it anymore.  And it does serve to keep people from instantly replaning, but doesn't at the same time really slow things down too much.  We're not on the clock anymore people.    Definitely tho think that 5 mins would be way too long.  5 mins is a heck of a long time to be staring at a computer screen waiting for something to happen.

------------------
TKoKFKA-OZDS-

Offline dracon

• Nickel Member
      • http://myweb.cableone.net/decon14/
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 1999, 08:53:00 PM »
Fine!  Instant replanning prolly isn't cool but the walk isn't either.  Hope for a happy medium....that doesn't drive us buggy :-)

------------------

Offline lakc

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.concentric.net/~lakec
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 1999, 10:04:00 PM »
Keep the walking guys, sometime in the future we will be able to shoot the pilot before getting to the plane.   Something else to vultch is never bad, think of the hate as you run for 15 seconds only to get sliced in half by a spit with 8x.303.

------------------
Lake City
-lakc-

-floo-

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 1999, 10:12:00 PM »
Oh yeah? Well last night after I downloaded the sim I WALKED back to the base after I drifted down gently from my plane. I just wanted to see how a bailout would look...and after I touched the ground I found I could move!!

I walked up to round-cows, I walked up to factories and junk. I was pretty impressed, but I wouldn't recommend it to all you impatient hurry-up-and-respawn types  

------------------
333rd Red Dawgs
JG 5 Eismeer

Brick

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 1999, 10:14:00 PM »
Hahahaha... were you the one calling "Someone SHOOT ME?" over the common channel?  I was laughin pretty hard at that point.  

-Andy

majikul

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 1999, 01:02:00 AM »
dole - are you sure about Esc? I don't think that works. Maybe you meant another key?

I'm in the slightly annoyed stage, but i think a quick zoom to the destination would be OK. Maybe even a clean edit would be just as well.