Author Topic: How many feel that their countries gun laws are too strict...  (Read 2982 times)

Offline ravells

• Silver Member
How many feel that their countries gun laws are too strict...
« Reply #120 on: February 10, 2004, 07:07:30 AM »
Hi Dead,

I think Singaporeans have to do compulsory military service, but obtaining a license for a firearm is very difficult. The penalty for owning an illegal firearm or ammunition is death in Malayisa, I believe Singapore has the same law, but I'm not sure.

Then again, Singapore is a very small and prosperous country so one wouldn't expect much crime there anyway.

Ravs

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #121 on: February 10, 2004, 08:28:11 AM »
I guess, like beetle, I could declare that the poll was a success ant that most people who responded felt that their countries firearms laws were too strict.   Of course.... the poll was a lot more fair than his..

As for england and inerant rights... england predates firearms but it allways felt that being armed was a right... this right was taken away from time to time by various tyrants but it was never for, nor did it ever, increase the safety of the populace when said tyrants removed these inherant rights.... since women have been allowed to vote things have changed...  it is a different tyrant who is taking away your freedoms now.

The U.S. allways had firearms so they were "arms" as seen by our constitutton..  the U.S. constitution owes a lot to england and it's rule of law... we took the best parts and threw out the baggage that comes with being a royalist, imperialist nation.

The right to defend yourself is an inherant right.

lazs

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #122 on: February 10, 2004, 08:32:50 AM »
I don't have time right now, but as Beetle did so maybe you could too...please tabulate your results.  I think you will find that the results are pretty much the same as his.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #123 on: February 10, 2004, 08:47:41 AM »
well curval... up to page two...

About 13 people feel that their laws ar too strict in some way or another..   a couple of those felt that while being too strict in some ways they were just right in most things.

about 8 people felt that their laws were just right...

only two people felt that the laws weren't strict enough in their country.

a lot of people didnt say say one way or the other but argues against the not strict enough crowd.

seems most like to have the freedom to decide how they defend themselves.

lazs

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #124 on: February 10, 2004, 09:01:31 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
About 13 people feel that their laws ar too strict in some way or another..   a couple of those felt that while being too strict in some ways they were just right in most things.

Well lazs...I will do some checking later, but even a casual glance at your results have a great deal of subjective information which we can argue about.

"some way or another"?  "most things"?

Strange but Beetle's poll had distinctively less interpretation or subjective answers.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #125 on: February 10, 2004, 02:24:53 PM »
Hardly.... I was giving the benifiet of the doubt... if it was black and white too strict/not strict enough.... then we could just leave it at that... say for instance...the guy said his were fine except some things were too strict...  

that would mean by anyones interpretation that he felt his countries laws were too strict... if he said they were fine but a couple od things needed to be stricter.... that would mean that they felt the laws were not strict enough..

I was just giving aditional data.

some... like rip... don't really make it clear how they feel.. they didn't answer the question.

lazs

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #126 on: February 10, 2004, 05:15:52 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
I guess, like beetle, I could declare that the poll was a success ant that most people who responded felt that their countries firearms laws were too strict.  
You would be declaring your poll to be a success based on the result rather than the number and diversity of the participants. That just shows what we knew all along: that you started it with a preconceived agenda that you wanted to fulfil, ie. you asked your subjective questions with a view to getting the answers you wanted rather than conducting an objective poll to achieve a balanced view. Curval was quick to spot what you were up to. But that's OK, Lazs. You are well known on this board as the resident spin merchant; we expected nothing less from you, and nothing more. But don't feel bad; within the T&C of the BBS, you're allowed to ask whatever you like.

I don't believe I declared my poll "a success", though indeed it was in terms of the number and diversity of respondents - replies from at least 15 countries, plus a few unsolicited replies from the USA.

Spin away, Lazs! Spin it one more time...

Offline Dune

• Silver Member
      • http://www.352ndfightergroup.com/
« Reply #127 on: February 10, 2004, 05:37:07 PM »
Originally posted by beet1e

Dune! How's life in America's 6th largest city? :p:lol

6th?  

The Arizona Republic
July 10, 2003
Judy Nichols

Phoenix may be only months from becoming the nation's fifth-largest city, muscling out Philadelphia.

Mesa is bigger than Atlanta.

And Gilbert is the fastest-growing town in America.

Population estimates released today by the Census Bureau continue to show unchecked growth in Arizona's cities and those in other Western states. Valley officials and growth experts aren't surprised. But Philadelphians are confronting their imminent fall from the top five with Rocky-like groans of "Yo, Adrian."

Phoenix's population grew 3.8 percent since 2000, faster than any other top 10 city, to a new estimated total of 1.37 million, census data showed.

That's a mere 120,271 people behind Philadelphia, the nation's fifth-largest city for decades.

But not for much longer.

A University of Pennsylvania demographer did some figuring and decided that Phoenix will actually knock Philly out of the No. 5 slot by next May.

Only for another month or three.

:aok

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #128 on: February 10, 2004, 05:47:04 PM »
Dune - Phoenix will become #5 on the same day as AH2 goes live. ;)

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #129 on: February 10, 2004, 05:59:10 PM »
beetle it matters not what I wanted the results to be or what my preconcieved notions were.   What matters is that my poll question was fair and offered people the opportunity to answer   It was a success because it got fair answers from a lot of people...

yours on the other hand was in the "do you still beat your wife?" category so far as poll questions go.

lazs

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #130 on: February 10, 2004, 06:07:26 PM »
Lazs, I don't give a flying crap what you think of my poll. It was intended only for non-Americans. Everyone understood it perfectly. Except you. Well there's a big freaking surprise. :rolleyes: I'm free to post whatever poll I want. And there's nothing you can do about it, so get over it already.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #131 on: February 11, 2004, 08:42:18 AM »
You are speaking for "everyone" now?   or maybe you took a "how many undestood my poll" poll?

If you did I missed it but it would most likely be...

"did you understand my poll and are you intelligent with the ability to understand things that you read and do you think reading should be taught in school?"

a simple yes or no will suffice.

lazs

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #132 on: February 11, 2004, 11:17:12 AM »
What are you saying? That I'm not allowed to ask questions on this BBS, without having some nanny figure acting as adjudicator to tell me whether what I asked was "fair"? Don't you come from that last bastion of freedom, land of free speech? And yet here you are, telling me how I should/should not pose questions to the other BBS subscribers.

Sometimes, one is not enough... :rolleyes::rolleyes: