Author Topic: God's Plane - The 205  (Read 1553 times)

Offline kj714

• Silver Member
God's Plane - The 205
« on: February 10, 2004, 05:46:46 PM »
Love that desert camo'd tiger. I am always surprised I don't see it more often. Why is it so unpopular? Fuel consumption is the only real weakness I see.

Also been riding P-51B a lot lately, very fun plane, just gotta get the hang of the flaps so I quit augering. It seems to like to flip the other way pretty easily for me. Any flap tips?

Offline GODO

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s/fw190.htm
Re: God's Plane - The 205
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2004, 06:39:26 PM »
Originally posted by kj714
Fuel consumption is the only real weakness I see.

A very important weakness for most maps, but I agree with you, C205 is an excelent fighter. We can add crappy views to the fuel issue.

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
God's Plane - The 205
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2004, 06:48:31 PM »
Sweet ride. My first choice for field defense. Short legs make it of limited value in other rolls.
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline kj714

• Silver Member
God's Plane - The 205
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2004, 06:54:57 PM »
I just add that extra quarter tank, the speed and firepower make up for it I think. I got my squad flying it more, they all seem to like it too.

I tend to manuever around to see behind me all the time anyway so thats not that big a deal for me either.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
Re: God's Plane - The 205
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2004, 08:05:16 AM »
Originally posted by kj714
Also been riding P-51B a lot lately, very fun plane, just gotta get the hang of the flaps so I quit augering. It seems to like to flip the other way pretty easily for me. Any flap tips?

Ah! One of the better undiscovered rides.  I've been racking up some pretty good scores in it.

In a nutshell, if you go nose down for more than 5 seconds, reduce throttle to half.  If you go nose down for more than 10 seconds, reduce throttle completely and drop a notch of flaps (25%).  

Keep an ear open for the "wind" sound effect. If you hear it, then you should be alert to your airspeed and be cautious about the airframe buffeting.  If the airframe starts to buffet, reduce throttle and level out or go into a climb.

I set my convergence to 450 in the P-51B.  Any farther out than that and I can't see the target well enough to aim anyway.

Remember, the P-51B will pwn the P-51D in a turnfight.  The B-stang is lighter, climbs better, rolls better, and seems to turn better.  But - make sure you have a shot before you squeeze the trigger.  You can take snapshots but expect to land only a few shells in each pass.  A few shells might be enough to weaken the airframe of the targeted D-stang enough that it will snap its wings if the other pilot pulls too hard on the stick (I've seen in happen).

Offline FDutchmn

• Silver Member
God's Plane - The 205
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2004, 08:49:08 AM »
me favorite plane :D I get most kills out of this one...

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
God's Plane - The 205
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2004, 09:02:56 AM »
My ONLY complaint with this plane is the views.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
God's Plane - The 205
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2004, 01:21:23 PM »
Thats two for views... I don't get it?  I have no problem setting the views to my liking.  I roll from side to side to see below and rarely use the deadsix view (cause nobody makes it to my six in a 205 :D)   I hope you aren't using the default head positions :)
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
God's Plane - The 205
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2004, 01:40:10 PM »
The views are my only problem with the plane too.  I can look around the side bars, but the two mammoth ones right in front of you make tracking and high-deflection shots extremely difficult.

Offline Sway

• Nickel Member
God's Plane - The 205
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2004, 01:40:31 PM »
I hate breadsticks... :D

Offline kj714

• Silver Member
God's Plane - The 205
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2004, 01:50:17 PM »
How does the 51-b compare with the Spit 9 on turning, anybody done that engagement? That B has some good armor I think. I've taken some pretty good hits in it and kept on going.

Of course the 205 is great on perkie generation too. Not unusual to come back with close to 10 perkies for 3 kills. Not that I ever fly perk planes anyway. 1023 perkies, maybe I should take up a 262 tonight?

Offline Joker312

• Nickel Member
God's Plane - The 205
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2004, 03:35:13 PM »
The 51-b can hang with a Spit V for 1 or 2 turns using 1 notch of flaps depending on speed. Usually if the speed is high (320+) you will have a good chance of gettin in the killing shot. Once the speed drops to 270 or less the spit V becomes the better turning arcraft. Ofcourse the #'s increase above 15k.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 05:31:27 PM by Joker312 »
Joker
80th FS "Headhunters"
FSO Squad 412th FNVG

Offline simshell

• Nickel Member
God's Plane - The 205
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2004, 03:49:04 PM »
people will fly a 109 with the crapy view but not a 205 :rolleyes:

there is a big mis understanding  about the P51B the D is better in almost everway the only being turn rate and better at holding E due to it being lighter

the D has a better climb rate look up the charts

the D has 6 guns vs 4 meaning snap shots are more deadly

D has way better cockpit then the B

i tend to think the B see's alot of use because its green and looks cool
known as Arctic in the main

Offline Zaphod

• Copper Member
God's Plane - The 205
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2004, 12:33:57 PM »
I love the Green Weanie....ain't been in it much due to being gone and trying to learn the 38.  It's great for working on marksmanship, gotta be careful with your shots and conserve ammo.  

Zap

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
God's Plane - The 205
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2004, 01:05:46 PM »
Originally posted by Joker312
The 51-b can hang with a Spit V for 1 or 2 turns using 1 notch of flaps depending on speed. Usually if the speed is high (320+) you will have a good chance of gettin in the killing shot.

So can the D ;)