Author Topic: Fly what you wanna fly  (Read 4006 times)

Offline lazs1

• Silver Member
Fly what you wanna fly
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2001, 10:44:00 AM »
well... the way the arena is now.. you can fly early planes and be happy with the knowledge that "you are doing pretty good considering"..  or you can fly mediocre mid war planes and be satisfied knowing that "yu are doing pretty good, considering" or... yu can fly the late war and uber planes and be satisfied with a good K/D ratio.

Having said that.. I am against perk or RPS.  I really Think that an "area" arena is best.. early/mid/late war areas all in the same arena.   No one is restricrted to planes they can fly.  want to fly a pee 51 or la7?  simply click on a "late war" field.

The only restriction would be that you couldn't fight say P40's with your lag or 51 unless they chose to be in the late war arena in one.
lazs

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
Fly what you wanna fly
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2001, 11:07:00 AM »
Lazs, we're getting P40's????   ;)  (I know what you meant.)   Honestly, Lazs idea is the best for parity and fairness.  I'm not promoting it as the best idea for the MA, just saying his idea is the best for what it's intended for.
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Zippatuh

• Silver Member
Fly what you wanna fly
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2001, 02:42:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rude:
The pilot makes the plane...believe anything else and you're kidding yourself.

Not to far from the truth.  If I see a yak, the pucker fact increases greatly.  The damn thing carries about 20 rounds and needs to be in the enemy’s cockpit to do any damage.  BUT, it has been my experience that the pilot’s usually flying this aircraft are already a handful to deal with by themselves, on the ground, with a .45!  Yak’s die first when arriving to a fight, if I can get the first pass at em and that’s a big IF.

As far as LA-7’s, they do seem to be a flying tank, but normally they’re not too bad to handle for me.  Most of the time though it is because of the pilot, not the plane.

Zippatuh

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
Fly what you wanna fly
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2001, 02:53:00 PM »
Heyas Zip!!!

Didn't know you were from KC...we meet every couple of months to break bread and tell lies :)

BBQ of course and Toad always buys...it's a hoot :)

Keep in touch...we will post here when the next get together is scheduled.

Offline Zippatuh

• Silver Member
Fly what you wanna fly
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2001, 03:25:00 PM »
Sounds good to me man.  I saw one this summer, or might have been spring, but wasn't able to make it.  

Always have room for beer and BBQ  :).

Zippatuh

Offline Pyemia

• Copper Member
      • http://No
Fly what you wanna fly
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2001, 05:52:00 PM »
Like I said, I'll be happy to prove my point in the DA if you want to up a P38 or Tiffie.  An idiot can kill an P38 or Tiffie in a Yak or La7 any day of the week.  Its that simple.

:(

Offline Pyemia

• Copper Member
Fly what you wanna fly
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2001, 06:08:00 PM »
Mandoble, your right, given equally skilled pilots the YaK / La7 vs P38 / Tiffie matchup will have the Yak / La7 winning every time.

The La7 fly's on Autopilot level with half its wing missing perfectly and lands nicely too.  I hit a P47 and HOed a 190 yesterday in a 2 vs 1 and killed both, 190 blew half my wing off and hit my oil.  I then saw a Lanc coalt and with half a wing made nice slashing attacks, killed the lanc, flew home and landed on the runway.  Engine never stopped running  :)

I think La7 has an improved engine over the La5, I think its heavier too.

Zygote

Offline MANDOBLE

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s
Fly what you wanna fly
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2001, 06:56:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pyemia:
Engine never stopped running
I know very well that effect  :(
Smoke of every possible colour is the only kind of damage I've been able to inflict to Las engines, but never stopped. Curious is the fact that a single forward ping kills almost always my D9 engine, if not kill, radiator or oil damage for sure.

Offline the_hegemon

• Copper Member
      • http://127.0.0.1
Fly what you wanna fly
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2001, 06:59:00 PM »
How's thursday night work for you Zyg?  Me in my P38, you can have the yak/la, best of 3.

:D

Offline Don

• Silver Member
Fly what you wanna fly
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2001, 07:42:00 PM »
Pyemia:

I intend no insult here but, you may have answered your own question here  :) Perhaps it would do you osme good to revisit acm. Here is what I mean. Once a person gets something in their head, it becomes a fixation. Kinda like beating another team your team always loses to or, competing against your best friend who seems good at everything; Oftentimes it just aint so.
The plane types you listed as being tough, aren't so tough if you go at it in a manner that is different than you have been.
So, I am suggesting you go  in for some refresher training or, have a squad mate do some sparring with you, so you can practice the situations you find you lose to the Yaks and La7s.
I dunno but, it may be worht a try to do something other than what you've been doing.

Offline Don

• Silver Member
Fly what you wanna fly
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2001, 07:45:00 PM »
nigga please..  

You have some kind of problem Animal? If you don't then check yerself, IMO the above is not appropriate for ANYONE. And don't go THERE and try and explain it, just don't do it.

Offline YardBird

• Zinc Member
Fly what you wanna fly
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2001, 08:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by Pyemia:
Like I said, I'll be happy to prove my point in the DA if you want to up a P38 or Tiffie.  An idiot can kill an P38 or Tiffie in a Yak or La7 any day of the week.  Its that simple.

:(

Wow, the La7 pilot I killed in my 38 must have been a complete moron......

;)

Offline aknimitz

• Silver Member
Fly what you wanna fly
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2001, 11:50:00 PM »
Id like to see you get 11 kills in one sortie in a Yak9U - it'll never happen.

Nim

Offline Pyemia

• Copper Member
Fly what you wanna fly
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2001, 02:37:00 AM »
Strider refresher training?

No insult taken, probably do need some BUT there really is no use trying to practice beating an opponent who can outturn, outzoom, outdive, outrun, outclimb and regain E much much better then you can in tiffie, and do all of the above bar turning against P38.  I can beat a newbie sometimes but thats about it.  I've turned D11's, Spits etc in the Tiffie but never won a similiar fight against an La or Yak.

Don, ignore Animal, he's just trying to hijack my thread or something.  Don't think he's intending to be racist in that context he used that word m8.

Darkstar, sure, 3 rounds:

1 You P38/Typh high, me La7/Yak low
2 Me La7/Yak high, you P38/Typh low
3 Coalt

All variations so no mistaking the results.  I still think in all 3, its gonna be a P38/Typh slaughterfest.  No humour intended.

Nimitz - I'll do that Yak thing for you tommorrow.

Offline Eaglecz

• Nickel Member
Fly what you wanna fly
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2001, 02:42:00 AM »
Originally posted by MANDOBLE:
Zig, I really see no way for a P38 to defeat or even survive a Yak9U or a La7, unless with very long range shots or very lucky snapshots. Yaks and Las will out-anything (except gun) you below 20k.

Not true P38 with 50 fuel is better turner at deack in low speeds then Yak