Author Topic: Fly what you wanna fly  (Read 4005 times)

Offline Eaglecz

• Nickel Member
Fly what you wanna fly
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2001, 02:45:00 AM »
Originally posted by aknimitz:
Id like to see you get 11 kills in one sortie in a Yak9U - it'll never happen.

Nim

I will flim it special for you  :)

Offline Eaglecz

• Nickel Member
Fly what you wanna fly
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2001, 02:47:00 AM »
LAZER ???????? HEY LAZER
do you wanna be wingman for tiffie, whitch will kick Zyg`s a** ?  :D

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
Fly what you wanna fly
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2001, 02:52:00 AM »
I have flown the LA7 maybe twice since beta.And never once have I tried a Yak.Neither of these planes bother me much unless I'm low in a P51d(That's why I fly P51b mostly...Late war Ruskie planes are munchies if you are in the right plane).. :)
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline Pyemia

• Copper Member
      • http://No
Fly what you wanna fly
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2001, 03:02:00 AM »
Orel, you'll be a tough one for sure, but my money's still on the La7 / Yak  :)

Offline Fariz

• Silver Member
      • http://9giap.warriormage.com
Fly what you wanna fly
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2001, 05:15:00 AM »
Originally posted by aknimitz:
Id like to see you get 11 kills in one sortie in a Yak9U - it'll never happen.

Nim

Nimitz, got it once, but with vulching. Couple where over the field, other on runway.

In the air-to-air the best in one not landed sortie is 9 kills.

Though it requires both very good aim, good no rubber bullets connect, and tons of luck for so many kills in yakU, normally I have enough for 3-4-5 kills air to air, 6 in a small % of sorties, 7 few times, 8 couple of time, 9 once.

In Spit IX I could bring 6-9 kills almost regularly, for some reason in other hispano birds I have problems for many kills even vulchign though, for examply with Hogc or tiffie I run out of ammo quite fast with only 5-6 kills at most non vulching. No idea what is the reason, though, probably, I do not fly them often.

Offline Don

• Silver Member
Fly what you wanna fly
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2001, 12:37:00 PM »
Pyemia:

CC. But the Tiffie is not a turning a/c as you know. It does have certain advantages versus the Yak and La7 though  :) Because of its speed and power it can e-fight very well and those a/c will be at a disadvantage. It can be used to BnZ too and unless a mistake is made those plane types will only be able to wallow below you.
Now I prefer to E-fight, get constant angles on nme and waer him down below me. The nme will either get bored or too anxious and make a mistake. With superior E left over, you will have more opptys at a kill shot than the nme will. E fighting takes patience though, and the urge to dive in and mix it up must be controlled. Just dance on their heads above em and wait til they run out of speed below you; dive down and put em away. The Yak is slower than the Tiffie and the LA7 has speed and turn rate at lower alts so, don't fight em there  :)

Offline the_hegemon

• Copper Member
      • http://127.0.0.1
Fly what you wanna fly
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2001, 03:43:00 PM »
Alright, you name the time, i'll be there.

And when it's all over, you're gonna know what used cigarette feels like, cause i'm gonna smoke you!    :D   :p   :D

hahahaha...

Offline Don

• Silver Member
Fly what you wanna fly
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2001, 12:39:00 PM »
Alright, you name the time, i'll be there.
And when it's all over, you're gonna know what used cigarette feels like, cause i'm gonna smoke you

Hehe, I won't be naming the time and place thank you. When it happens to you, don't be surprised it's under my guns...hehe
Your response to my suggestions to Pye are just the thing I was refering to  :cool:
Just the thing to get you dead  :D
What I know is, overconfidence in your plane instead of tactics will leave the other guy above you grabbing alt, while you are way below smoking and about to become a lawndart  :p

Offline Don

• Silver Member
Fly what you wanna fly
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2001, 12:49:00 PM »
Don, ignore Animal, he's just trying to hijack my thread or something. Don't think he's intending to be racist in that context he used that word m8.

Pye:
Wasn't the point. Context is also unimportant. Simply the use of it in a situation like this is problematic. If what he wrote can be excused away, then there is potential for anything anyone says to become acceptable. Before long then, folks would be at each others throats, hell it can get pretty heated in here anyway.
IMO, better not to go there at all. This thread began well, just generating discussion, I merely wanted it to continue along those lines. This animal guy may be a good guy, I don't know. I hope he or anyone else here doesn't think I was attcking him personally but, a place like this has to have some rules to observe or, its quickly out of hand.

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
Fly what you wanna fly
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2001, 03:40:00 PM »
Ok I'm confused.

To win a fight, you must use an aircrafts strengths, while minimizing your weakness's. We all know that.

Complaining that a P38 has a difficult time with La7's/Yak9U's at low altitudes, is like complaining that you can't out turnfight a Zero with a Fw190.

The major strength of the P38 is its performance at altitude.  At low altitudes, its pretty mediocre compared to most of the planeset.  Its decent at all things, but it doesn't really accel at anything.

So I guess I don't see the problem.  The P38 SHOULD have a very hard time against both of those fighters if your fighting them on even terms at low altitudes.

And I'd love to see the film of that 11 kill La7 mission. I know my gunnery sucks, but you would still have to be a super sniper to kill 11 planes with the small ammo load of the La7.

FYI on the La7 guys, it has the exact same engine as the La5FN, and nearly the same weight.  Its major changes were in several aerodynamic improvements to the airframe that cleaned up alot of drag.

Offline Pyemia

• Copper Member
Fly what you wanna fly
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2001, 06:36:00 PM »
Actually Vermillion it was 16 kills, 11 after I lost my rudder and left aileron.

La7 had improved engine:

"a more extensive modification of the design resulted in the new designation La-7.  This used the new wing as well as a refined engine installation and various detail improvements which raised top speed to 680km/h."

Gunston, B (1981), The Illustrated History of Fighters, Finsbury Books

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
Fly what you wanna fly
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2001, 06:39:00 PM »
Refined engine installation does not equal upgraded engine- it most likely meant the installation was improved.

Offline Pyemia

• Copper Member
Fly what you wanna fly
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2001, 08:21:00 PM »
I never said the engine was upgraded, I said it was improved.  A standard engine when refined is no longer a standard engine.  So the La5 engine and La7 engine are not the same imo.

Think of it this way, A V8 Holden Commodore has the the same standard engine as a V8 Supercar until the engine is refined for racing, after that, even thou the original engines were the same, they no longer are.  The Supercar goes a lot faster. So does the La7.

Zygote

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
Fly what you wanna fly
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2001, 08:31:00 PM »
*sigh*

Ok here is exactly the difference in the La5FN and the La7

p.53 of Soviet Combat Aircraft of the Second World War by Yefim Gordon and Dmitri Khazanov
----------------------------------------

... differed in several notable respects from its forebears:

• Metal wing spars replaced the wooden examples
  • improved internal and external sealing of the powerplant and airframe
  • three test B-20 synchronized cannon, based upon the M Berezin 12.7mm machine gune instead of two cannon
  • the oil cooler was moved from the bottom of the engine cowling to the rear fuselage underside, and housed in a duct of improved aerodynamic configuration
  • the location and shape of the engine inlet pipe was changed (it was provided with two intakes brought out to the wing centre section leading edge, instead of having one intake placed at the top of the engine cowling

the following external features distinguished the 1944 standard production aircraft from the La5
  • improved wing/fuselage fillets
  • individual exhaust pipes for each of the engine cylinders
  • fewer engine cowling covers
  • longer landing gear shock struts and a shorter skid
  • the use of a propellor having a flapping resistant blade profile, as already tested on the La5FN
  • a metal nose over protection frame in the fixed, aft portion of the cockpit
  • an updated gunsight

------------------------------

Additionally on the data tables located on p.174

La5FN Production
Powerplant:  ASh-82FN
Power at Altitude:  1,470 hp

La7 Production
Powerplant:  ASh-82FN
Power at Altitude:  1,470 hp

Do I need to type in more data?

16 kills? Got Film?

Offline Pyemia

• Copper Member
Fly what you wanna fly
« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2001, 07:26:00 AM »
So what your saying is that, even with increased airflow into the engine and increased exhaust flow out of the engine, it did'nt produce anymore hp then the original engine?  Now i'm not a mechanic but I find that hard to believe, and given the source its more than like incorrect.  You would wonder why they even bothered?

What about thrust augmentation?

No I don't have film but really why would I make that up?  Would be pointless would it not.

Zygote