Author Topic: ideas to twart dual account spies..  (Read 2018 times)

Offline WhiteHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
ideas to twart dual account spies..
« on: February 15, 2004, 09:35:11 AM »
Below dar means below dar, for nme as well as friendlies.  There is no need to have friends on dar wherever they may be.
  Wingman by permission, or at least alert the pilot that they are bering wingmanned and by whom.  My success ratio as a goon driver when NOT announcing it is at least 20 times greater then when I do announce it, particularly during prime time.
  I believe when a guy says '<---goon for 184', a spy can wingman this guy and track him to death.
  Introduce some sort of inteligence aspect of for the game, for example, if a spy can parachute near an nme base and sneak into the map room without being killed or captured, he can see the radar of the country whose map room he is in.  Maybe a bad example, but u get the idea.  
  or camera loadouts for planes that act as low range radar stations for that particular country.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2004, 02:52:26 PM »
It should be possible for HTC to disallow multiple logins from the same IP address.

Offline Sundowner

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2004, 09:37:49 PM »
It should be possible for HTC to disallow multiple logins from the same IP address.

Don't look for this to happen anytime soon I think.
If for example I held a subscription and my son held a subscription I dont think it would go over well if we wanted to play at the same time and couldnt.
Also
HTC is in the buisness of selling subscriptions.
To limit the number of subscriptions from the same IP address would be counterproductive to the buisness.

Sun
Freedom implies risk. Less freedom implies more risk.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2004, 11:24:57 PM »
My nephew and I play over the same IP address and this would definitely cost them business.

Before you ask, we are in the same country in the the same squad.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Blammo

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2004, 09:42:15 AM »
While I agree "spying" is a problem, I don't believe the is a good solution.  If people lack character to the point where they will use multiple accounts to cheat and get kills, then there is very little that people with integrity can do.

However, what can be done is this: if you know someone that is doing this, let everyone know, refuse to fly with them and if they are in your squad, ask them to stop or kick them out.  If they are in a squad other than yours, let the CO of that squad know.  If the CO refuses to do anything about that sort of spying, then we can advertise that fact too.

Ultimately, the community will be the great determiner of whether this is acceptable or not.  I personally will not fly with anyone I know is using multiple accounts for spying and I will not be apart of a squad (even for a single mission) that I know is doing that.  May sound "high and mighty" to me, but that is part of my character.  To me, it is more fun to take the game as it is.  If I want easy kills, I'll play offline...the drones don't even try to evade or fire back.
BLAMM0 - FACTA, NON VERBA!

Offline WhiteHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2004, 10:21:40 AM »
Problem is, its such an effective way to defeat the opponent, that if it exists for one side, it necessarily needs to exist for the other.  To leave the situation up to the honest folks to shun the dishonest, much like real life, is  a bit over optimistic.

Offline sonofagun

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2004, 05:41:36 AM »
RJO's a bigger problem than spying...for us knights, that is.:mad:

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2004, 06:11:50 AM »
Just make the pilots "enlist" to a country in the MA on a monthly/Tour basis.

At the start of each new tour, new log-on, the pilot will be prompted to choose his/her country.

And for the duration of the Tour, his/her allegiance will be solely tied to the country he/she enlisted to. No side changing will be possible.

If possible, maybe the HTC home page can keep track of who,  how many people, enlisted to a certain country - it can serve another purpose of numbers balancing.

Ofcourse, that's not gonna stop people dual-accounts. But then again, it's just a game. If someone's so obsessed to set up a dual account and run two games at the same time, just to become a peeping-Tom, heck, he probably deserves to be a spy. It's not easy to become a mental pervert.

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2004, 07:29:35 AM »
Originally posted by beet1e

I have a NAT enabled routing hub and both myself and my son play............... and hope to in the future.
Ludere Vincere

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2004, 07:41:07 AM »
Spies are not trustworthy people......... they are not honourable people............. they are not people I would want to associate with (WGAF).

They are "spoilers" but I do not see an "in game" mechanism that HTC can apply.

I abhore the witch hunt mentality in the MA now...... ficticious accusations of cheating by defeated players are all over channel 1 and add nothing to the game............ same for the spy accusations.

If you believe a player/players are spying then mail your evidence to HTC. They can probably do nothing about it except record the complaint  for future reference.

A nod is as good as a wink to a blind man.........(unless of course you tell him what your doing)
Ludere Vincere

Offline WhiteHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2004, 04:59:26 PM »
Originally posted by Kweassa

Ofcourse, that's not gonna stop people dual-accounts. But then again, it's just a game. If someone's so obsessed to set up a dual account and run two games at the same time, just to become a peeping-Tom, heck, he probably deserves to be a spy. It's not easy to become a mental pervert.

Yea, but it gets real old having an m16 waiting for your NOE assault, and its the same one who got you 4 times last week.
  I hate getting beat by mental perverts:mad:

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2004, 05:07:28 PM »
How about a dot command to turn your green dot on or off for friendly dar? Possibly you could still be seen within the radar range circle of friendly fields, but not outside. In RL most WW2 aircraft had an IFF set which friendly (and sometimes unfriendly) radar operators could interrogate to find whose side you were on. IIRC this IFF box could be switched on or off.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2004, 05:26:27 PM »
Whitehawk, normally, a mentally healthy person would think that if something goes wrong with their plan, it's because the plan sucked. Not because there is a spy waiting at every corner of the alley.

Tilt is 100% right. It's a witch hunt claim, finding someone to accuse with no grounds behind the accusation. I've seen numerous spy claims and yet, have nobody ever come up with any proof so far.

Ofcourse, that doesn't mean that I think there are no spies in the game. There probably are. But the odds are, people who are so pathetic are hardly welcomed by anyside. I've seen some people rant and chat "hey the Knits are doing XXX" or "hey the Bish are YYY" before. None of them were welcomed by anyone - they were shunned from the community. They usually don't last a month.

All the "real" spy thingies happening are mostly associated CV locations. When you see someone who is high in Player rank suddenly come your side and seize the control of the CV and head it towards its doom, you know lame things are happening.

Other than that, assuming that there's someone who reports your activity everytime for everu mission undetaken is plain paranoid. I've been playing AH for about three years now. I know when an NOE is coming. I can usually feel it by looking at the radar counters and how they change with time. It's a tactical judgement from experience, and I'm not the only one who's capable of making such judgements.

The odds are, if you fail a NOE mission, someone either anticipated it, or the defense was quick to respond. It's not because somebody was necessarily watching your team.

On a clear sky condition w/o clouds, I can usually spot a NOE the moment the first con shows over the horizon - especially if the cons are coming over the sea. About 3 minutes before their arrival to the target destination. When I holler for help, people know that NOE planes are easy meat. They usually respond very quickly, and intercept most of the planes before they reach the target.

IMO the limiting the number of accounts on a single IP is a plain overkill.

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2004, 06:21:58 PM »
I ended up having to open a fourth account.

At first I just had the one I flew on.  But I got annoyed not knowing what the knits were doing, so I opened the second.  Then I was intrigued with the goings on over in bish land and had to have the third account.

All this spying got very confusing.  Sometimes I would get so involved with being a spy that I would forget what I was doing.  

So I opend the fourth to spy on myself.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2004, 12:06:42 AM »
Just another Facet of the game. kinda makes it more realistic LOL
We've all benifited form spies as well as been hurt by them.

but By and large from what I have seen is they pretty much have minimal effect on the over all game.
Most missions/plans that I have seen go wrong  for both sides friendly and enemy were due to either a poor plan,and/or execution, someone screwing up and popping up obove dar or more frequently because someone was heads up enough to take notice and give  warning and others were wise enough to take heed to those warnings and take action.

Almost as frequently the reason alot of missions suceed  even when discovered is because people dont take heed.
I know whats hapened with me numerous times where I've seen and repetedly reported  X force at X alt headed in X direction and for X base to watch out only to have my warnings ignored untill it was too late.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty