Author Topic: The most frustrating part of Aces High  (Read 525 times)

Offline BotaBing

• Copper Member
The most frustrating part of Aces High
« on: October 02, 2000, 11:01:00 AM »
I get a bit tired of hearing people whine about realism of the flight model, realism of the planes, etc when the whole time, we play in one of the most unrealistic considitons of all

- NO DAMAGE FROM FRIENDLY FIRE

Today some idiot on my own team cut right in front of me during a dogfight. I was about 600k off the tail of an enemy NIK, and this love muffin on my team tried to steal the kill by swooping in right in front of me. I was already firing, he cut right into my stream of tracers.

Guess what? Did he take damage? Oh no, I exploded.

Are we ever going to fly with realism? Are we ever going to have to deal with friendly fire?

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2000, 11:16:00 AM »
Hi

Isn't this done to dissuade the the team-killer quake amazinhunk retard types?  

thanks GRUNHERZ

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2000, 11:28:00 AM »

Originally posted by GRUNHERZ:
Hi

Isn't this done to dissuade the the team-killer quake amazinhunk retard types?    

thanks GRUNHERZ

Yep, it is, the other option is much worse.

Offline BotaBing

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2000, 11:32:00 AM »
Well, friendly fire was a part of real life, even from quake-type amazinhunk.

There were ACK operators who shot first and asked questions later. Some of our great pilots were downed by idiots who didnt know their plane profiles well enough to not shoot down their own planes.

There are accounts of people shooting their own men down in furballs.

There are lots of reasons why this should be done, not the least of which is that it would be MUCH better to have a realistic game than to continue on with this quake-type mentality.

This is a tiny community. It would be easy to bust people who shoot down their own team on purpose, and ostercize them. IT would also be easy to make a penalty for doing it.

If you shoot and damage someone on your own team, then you are unable to do anything but fly a goon for 30 minutes.

I understand now being able to ram people on your own runway, but off the field, it should be realistic

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2000, 11:36:00 AM »
The idea is to get so close to the enemy, no one can slip in between ya!!!!!

HeHe!!!!!    
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2000, 11:36:00 AM »

If you shoot and damage someone on your own team, then you are unable to do anything but fly a goon for 30 minutes.

So the next post would be how you're stuck flying a goon for 30 minutes because some idiot cut right in front of you?

------------------
Fatty
Fat Drunk Bastards
"Quit cryin in yer beer, it'll make it go flat."

[This message has been edited by Fatty (edited 10-02-2000).]

Offline BotaBing

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2000, 11:39:00 AM »
Well since goons are always needed, at least it would be helpful heh

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2000, 11:43:00 AM »
Before they model friendly fire, they need to model court-marshalls, accountability and a sense of guilt.

The only thing I get tired of in the Realism argument is that people think a simulation should be real.

AKDejaVu

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2000, 11:51:00 AM »
Hi

They dont care about being ostricized, otherwise they wouldnt do that. Anyway in RL such things were accidents. Ill bet most team-killers are in here for the 2 week trial who get their kicks by spoiling it for everyone else. Ive seen a couple of these guys in the MA, they act dumb as if they dont know who the enemy is, and continue shooting their team even after repeated messages to shoot the red guys. Then they go into a childish tirade telling everyone to diddly off because they want to do whatever pleases them. You really cant punish them, because they dont care, thats why they kill their wingmen.

thanks GRUNHERZ

Offline Trell

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2000, 11:56:00 AM »
im not sure if this still happens  bur i have gotten killed a number of times my by friendly ack  eather in base defence or by being to close the the enemys  when the 88s fired.

btw i like having friendly fire disabled  think of the new guys or morans that take off behind you and start shooting at you.

i could just see the county channel now. When some one does not get a 6 call or when someone get shot down because  no one helped him. guys will re up and go hunting to shoot down friendlys.

well it would make this more interesting  

Trell

[This message has been edited by Trell (edited 10-02-2000).]

Offline minus

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2000, 12:01:00 PM »
Ak   yeasss   a nice idea if some 1 shot frendly 1 hour no take off  

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2000, 12:03:00 PM »
The one thing that is being slightly overlooked is that the killshooter option forces the pilots to behave realistically.

The situation BotaBing is describing is a side-effect... but I don't really see that happening all too often.  I've had it happen to me maybe 3 times.  Imagine how many TK posts we'd see if it weren't implimented.

Right now, you have to consider that friendly plane in front of you.  That is how it should be.  I guarantee there would be more "he got in my way.. he deserved it" situations without it.

I do believe that FF and friendly collisions should be off for scenarios.  They are more tightly controlled with people in place that can deal with the TKs.

In the MA, however... with people running 2 week free trials... this will never work.

AKDejaVu

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2000, 12:56:00 PM »
 Does anybody remember the CK/WB beta before killshooter was invented?  OH MAN!!!!  it was bad.  You'd get 3 or 4 jerks that would take of and orbit their own field, just to vulch who ever took off.  Then people would get pissed and try to shoot them down.  It would usualy end up with a huge furball 1k over the field with no enemy planes in sight...

Udie

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2000, 01:05:00 PM »

Originally posted by Udie:
Does anybody remember the CK/WB beta before killshooter was invented?  OH MAN!!!!  it was bad.  You'd get 3 or 4 jerks that would take of and orbit their own field, just to vulch who ever took off.  Then people would get pissed and try to shoot them down.  It would usualy end up with a huge furball 1k over the field with no enemy planes in sight...

Udie

Heheh, ya, 'twas real ugly Udie, I can remember that guy called SPOT doing it on a regular basis!

Offline J_A_B

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2000, 01:43:00 PM »
It would be much easier just to turn "killshooter" off and make it so friendly fire has no effect whatsoever.  Not terribly realistic, but at least it wouldn't be a bad thing.

I agree, it is annoying to die if a dumb friendly runs in front of your bullets.

Another good solution--

AirWarrior used to use a feature called PNG (personata non grata).  If you shot down two friendly planes in 24 hours, you could not carry live ammo for a full day.

That allowed people to make a mistake, but not continue deliberate fragging.

A third solution, would be to only enable "killshooter" after you have already damaged a friendly plane.

J_A_B