Author Topic: P-38L vs N1K2-J for one day (STATS)  (Read 4426 times)

Offline CurtissP-6EHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
P-38L vs N1K2-J for one day (STATS)
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2004, 12:31:15 AM »
Thats not a whine

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2004, 12:37:20 AM »
Yeah, it was more of a shrill, hysterical cry then a whine.

Ack-Ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline CurtissP-6EHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2004, 12:44:15 AM »
heheheh, ok

I am glad that I, a single person who you claim is whinning, has the power to get the CM to change something...give me a break!

OK ok ok ok, here ya go....Mr Fork, I demand that you remove the spit, remove the N1K2-J. Since the stats, that I have whined so much over, prove that the Ki-61 and P-38 are so much more ballanced.

The next time we have a PTO with the A6M5 and F4U-C1, I dont want the Zero pilots to be stupid and whine because they decide to fight...errr...chase......oh wait, maybe the F4U pilots will decide to turn fight the A6M5 just like the P-38 vs the George and then we can ...damnit, I mean I can whine in the FM2...

hehehe you guys crack me up!

Mr Fork, please remove the spit and remove nothing else nor add anything. I did not know I carried so much power.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2004, 12:47:14 AM by CurtissP-6EHawk »

Offline hogenbor

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.lookupinwonder.nl
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2004, 08:11:40 AM »
Originally posted by Kweassa

That is one of the reasons why I like limited plane choices of single plane type per country. It forces the player to try what they are not familiar with. Also, simulates a bit of the war-time reality, in that the pilots did not have choices as to what to fly - they fight with what they were given with. That's part of the fun in CT - if a bit of historicity limites your planes, you learn to fly with what you were given with.

I agree! I would love that, 'fly with what you were given' but most people want only their favourite plane, spoiled children that they are ;)  Mediocre as I am, I love to switch planes and have been persistent in the ones I do poorly in.

The irony is that I've always done extremely poorly in the N1K2 and quite reasonable in the FM-2. The FM-2 is not perceived as a big threat, the N1K2 is.  And while I'm ready to admit that the P-38 is a very good plane with few weaknesses, it is not my favourite ride.

So why don't you fly in the CT more I hear you say? Well, I live in Europe and when I log on there are usually about 6 people in the CT... all desperately trying to find each other I guess.

Only fun I ever had in the CT was when the MA was down, Zero popping in the F4F and abusing the A20 as a fighter in that set-up, great fun. Bit like flying a 262 in the MA ;)

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2004, 08:52:00 AM »
"I was recovering from a low and slow fight"

Exactly. You guys have no business doing that unless you are covered by a mate. Yet this example happens all the time.

In fact its the reason I keep saying all the stuff about the F4U-1 being so uber vs the Ki-61 is a load of crap.  The Ki-61 just needs some alt on a lower F4U-1, and its the same result.

Well flown N1K2s will still do well, as they should, but carefull P-38s can prevail.

Btw I think we have seen enough proof in the stats that the so called "faster" planes dont dominate nearly as much as some folks say. Climb rate and acceleration play a part too, despite the "speed chart gurus" that keep banging the same tired note, and ignoring the CT results to suit their politics. According to them the A6M series would never score a kill vs anything.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline _Schadenfreude_

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2004, 08:52:37 AM »
Originally posted by Grits
I'm a cherrypicker in addition to being an habitual vulcher. :)

there there....it's not like it's a bad thing

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2004, 12:03:46 PM »
Originally posted by _Schadenfreude_
there there....it's not like it's a bad thing

I dont think its a bad thing, but it neutralizes the whines when I do it in the arena because I admit it freely. No point in hurling accusations of "cherrypicker" or "vulcher" at me when I will just say "Yup, I am." :)

Offline Phantom4

• Copper Member
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2004, 01:13:51 PM »
I seldom (nearly never) fly 38's.  My first 6 engagements were a disaster 0 - 6.  I enter level or from below and just did flat turns and got my clock cleaned.   When back, looked at a couple of the films, read the flight info on 38's, read some of the tips on flying 38's and then went 11-1 for the next twelve engagements (that one loss was 1 v 3 and a N1K2 got a lucky hit on my tail boom).  This plane completely outclasses either the N1K or the Ki61.  I then tried IJN in the Ki61 - initially I was very successfull but as allied got more familiar that quickly changed. Against better than average 38 drivers, I was never able to kill them 1 on 1.  The best I could manage was a draw.  Could only win if I was with a competent wingman and we had numbers or luck.  So I agree the P-38 needs no help. in fact IJN would be better off if 38 was withdrawn and replaced with seafires.

Phantom4

Offline mos

• Copper Member
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2004, 01:35:21 PM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
In fact, this is a dream set up for those of us that are dedicated P-38 flyers.

Roger that.  I'm loving it.  I'll be in the CT every night this week.

I think the disparity in numbers is probably due to the fact that the P38 is really, really hard to fly really, really well, and the average N1K pilot is better than the average P38 pilot.

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2004, 04:57:25 PM »
But allies have had the numbers for the most part, which makes no sense if you say its plane is harder to fly.

I for one, think the P38 is very easy to fly, easy to kill in and is completely dominant over the Ki61 and Niki.

Offline mos

• Copper Member
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2004, 05:24:36 PM »
Why does that make no sense?  Just because a plane is hard to fly doesn't mean people won't fly it.

Offline CurtissP-6EHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2004, 05:16:16 PM »
P-38L has 373 Kills of N1K2
N1K2 has 363 Kills of P-38L

Balanced Stats!
Simply an observation
Not a Whine!