Author Topic: Il2fb Ace Expansion Pack  (Read 6192 times)

Offline _Schadenfreude_

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Il2fb Ace Expansion Pack
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2004, 11:34:24 AM »
Originally posted by Hajo
Pei, Batz, and Hristo thanks for the reply.....definately going to look into it.  Sounds like something I could use!

Addendum:  Ya got me ......I just ordered TrackIR

What an idiot....have a Battle Chair with HOTAS Pads, the whole CH USB HOTAS setup....and now TrackIR.

IF someone didn't know me.......they'd think I was into flight sims.

Battle Chair??? have you got a pic?

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
Il2fb Ace Expansion Pack
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2004, 01:38:04 PM »
Schaden......will take a picture of setup and post.

Can see the battlechair at Battlechair.com

Bought it about two years ago......uses sound to simulate feeling.

Has Hotas Pads on each adjustable arm...and the Pads are adjustable.

To tell you the truth.....I thought it would be better then it is.

If I had the option again....I wouldn't purchase one.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
Il2fb Ace Expansion Pack
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2004, 01:45:13 PM »
Originally posted by Urchin
Yea, I might take a look at it too, although for 100-odd bucks probably not.

There's a cheaper way to get the same effect using a web can. I forget what its called but search the ubi forum.

There's also "newview". I haven't tried but it look interesting. Search UBI as well for info.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Il2fb Ace Expansion Pack
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2004, 01:49:29 PM »
the VRF pad is cheaper than that chair and is quiet

the motors in it (6 zones) are strong enough to feel like someone punching you when they are turned up too high

it is sound triggered & adjustable so you feel everything you can hear from take off/landings to stalls to flak burst to pings, even bomb bursts when you are in the tower - very cool
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Il2fb Ace Expansion Pack
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2004, 01:53:06 PM »
Originally posted by Batz
There's a cheaper way to get the same effect using a web can. I forget what its called but search the ubi forum.

There's also "newview". I haven't tried but it look interesting. Search UBI as well for info.

fb is a different game when I have my Tracker 2 on, got one a couple of weeks ago. you have to get used to it for sure and I have stick configured to center and turn it off/on when I go in for a shot or doing alot of t&b - neat addition, great for zooming in on the instruments, makes you feel like you are sitting in a plane with the movement.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline AKS\/\/ulfe

• Platinum Member
Il2fb Ace Expansion Pack
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2004, 03:55:29 PM »
The AI definitely uses a simplified FM... in fact, thats where the Il2compare gets its data from, which is why using data from that program as an argument to say theres a bias, or a plane is overmodelled, is stupid.

How many times have you seen the AI go into insta-E loss. Impossible to do with the human controlled aircraft unless you drop an airbrake, full flaps and your landing gear... then you still won't get the same Top Gun "hit the brakes and watch him fly by" effect.

Then theres the AI "stall" where you see vapor trails coming off the end of the wingtips, but the plane is going about 120kph and dropping at the rate of 100m/s. That simply can't be done in a human controlled plane.

Oleg has definitely said that the AI uses a simplified FM, I don't remember where or when - but he said thats one of the biggest reasons the AI isn't effected by the damage model like a human controlled plane and they don't follow the normal physics routine that the human controlled plane does.

For views, I just use a trackball mouse attached to my joystick. Works great, cost me nothing, and has both smooth panning for looking around the sky or snapping really quick around the cockpit to spot an aircraft I know is nearby.
-SW

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
Il2fb Ace Expansion Pack
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2004, 04:40:19 PM »
No, I meant the human controlled planes don't bleed off speed very fast.  It is extraordinarily difficult to bleed off enough speed to cause someone on your dead 6 about 600 yards back to overshoot.  

In AH it is relatively easy, but you'll probably get shot doing it.  In IL-2 it seems to be damn near impossible.

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
Il2fb Ace Expansion Pack
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2004, 05:05:46 PM »
In Fb guys have figured thing like full flaps and trim down as an air break. You will see them close fast then bleed quickly and lock onto you. With out retract flaps in ah its impossible. I have even seen guys drop their gear to bleed.

I think the biggest thing is though in AH most attackers come in at full speed/throttle. Where in FB slower speeds mean less overshots. But I dunno.

One thing I like about FB those is in a 109 you can zoom and do a verticle tight barrel roll then wing over and come right back down dropping the hammer. The barrel roll keeeps pulling for a gun solution and they bleed out. In AH unless you keep about d800 in a zoom you are dead from spray and pray.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Il2fb Ace Expansion Pack
« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2004, 06:46:07 PM »
Like Batz said, gunnery is different, not to mention people can use flaps and gears earlier than AH. Also, generally, the speeds people are flying in are a bit lower than in AH. So, if you are going for overshoots from 600yards(let's say 600m) in FB or AEP, then I think you're doing it little too early, Urchin. Try to lure them in within 400 meters. You'd be dead if it were AH, but not in FB/AEP.

Also, FB/AEP pilots have a habit of throttling down, momentarily engaging flaps, lowering RPM, etc etc. to saddle behind the enemy perfectly without overshooting - even against better maneuvering planes. That's not such a good idea in AH, but it's generally what happens in FB/AEP. So, you can try something that's pretty hard to work in AH - fake an overshoot move, make the enemy behind you slow down, and then, suddenly go into full acceleration and accelerate away. It works against slower and more maneuverable planes.  

The "insta E loss", is a simple skid maneuver.

The AI usually uses it while going into a Split-S. Simply, pull the tighest split-S, with very low throttle and full rudder input. If the chasing plane is unaware of this fact, he follows the Split-S, gains too much E, and overshoots dumbfoundedly. Used to happen to me all the time, too.  Nowadays, I don't need full flaps and air brakes to counter it. I can be gaining on the AI plane, and then see it going into a Split-S. I simply lower throttle, push full rudder, and follow the AI.

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
Il2fb Ace Expansion Pack
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2004, 06:55:41 PM »
Been doing most playing offline until I get the FM down.

When gaining a guns solution I find myself throttling back...dropping flaps, just as stated in previous posts.
Usually doing this in an A9....however I've engaged to much flap
and have had them stick in postion...to fast for say takeoff or landing position on flaps.

Finally learned to hit the runway when landing.  Now all I've got to do is make sure the wheels hit first:)

Great Sim....gunnery, damage model, and graphics far and away the best I've seen.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
Il2fb Ace Expansion Pack
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2004, 05:33:47 PM »
Just got the Il2:FB Gold (AEP included) for $26 + $4 shipping from Newegg.com.

So, could anyone point to all the little goodies like ini settings, campaign generators, etc. that I should have?

Thanks.

Offline Bluedog

• Silver Member
Il2fb Ace Expansion Pack
« Reply #72 on: April 24, 2004, 09:49:01 AM »
Been having a blast with AEP since it came out.
I love the P51-B, the Spitfire and the Lightning, all great planes and awesome to look at.

When do you guys fly? Is there like an AH AEP users server or anything like that?

Blue