Author Topic: Buff Gunner accuracy and lethality  (Read 804 times)

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
Buff Gunner accuracy and lethality
« on: March 14, 2004, 10:59:59 PM »
....is still BS.

Just sayin.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Re: Buff Gunner accuracy and lethality
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2004, 08:48:00 AM »
Originally posted by Tumor
....is still BS.

Just sayin.

I don't know about the accuracy ( I could not hit at D200 with those things, lol) but the lethality, man.

1.2Kout, two pings, two wings missing :rofl
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Virage

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2004, 09:42:41 AM »
Funny, this has been gnawing at me since yesterday...

1.2 b26 formation nails the engine oil in the 190a8 i was in yesterday.  I was higher than the buff and extending forward and laterally.
JG11

Vater

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2004, 10:27:56 AM »
Originally posted by Virage
Funny, this has been gnawing at me since yesterday...

1.2 b26 formation nails the engine oil in the 190a8 i was in yesterday.  I was higher than the buff and extending forward and laterally.

At list you kept your wings, :lol
I only attack buffs now just to see if I can make on pass without any damage.  (no I dont attack from 6.  Always 9,10,11,1,2,3)

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2004, 10:45:40 AM »
if you had 30's you could ho 'em fairly easy

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2004, 10:56:04 AM »
What kind of tactics are you using?

I fly the B17 a lot and marvel when someone comes in co-alt, at my 6...and sits there.  I patiently wait until D-700 and hammer away.  Then they whine on channel one how the buff guns are uber.  :rolleyes:

I havent had much luck with the long shots you guys are seeing.  Conversely, I've had Typhoons pelt me with their cannons from 1.8k out and do some good damage.  Quite the lob

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2004, 11:50:18 AM »
Originally posted by LePaul
What kind of tactics are you using?

High speed dives from (preferably) 10,11,1,2 some times 9,3 O'clock.  Don;t get me wrong, I can get two of the bufs in one pass if the pilot is new.  But if its the 999, tatertot, or the MAW guy, you can easyly die at 1.5 out.  I think the accuracy is pilot skill, but the damage seems a litle too mach.  Then again, I could be wrong.

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
      • http://www.redtail.org
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2004, 01:48:16 PM »
I never have any real difficulties against bombers..IF I set up my approach, and take my time. I only approach from their high 10, 2, 5, or 7. If I am lower, I won't engage anything other than lancasters.  If I overshoot, I'll reset and re-engage. Too often, guys get greedy, or frustrated, leading up to the dead 6 shootout.

bad idea.

Extend after every guns pass, reset, ant come back for another slashing pass. Don't hold your position relative to the bombers direction, or you're a sitting duck. And, if he's got you sighted, break off and reset.

Gainsie

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2004, 03:56:24 PM »
You guys are being wise.

Ju88s are sitting ducks.  Sometimes those rear guns can ding you if they know what they are doing (I always aim for the cockpit when defending in the Ju88...forget taking off pieces, so pray for the blackouts)

Lancasters....avoid the tail completely, either go head on and aim for a wingtip or from below.  A Lanc cant recover from loosing a wingtip.

B-17s...from the front and back are bad, lots of overlapping gun coverage.  You guys have it right, its hard to defend the side positions if you hit from the buffs 2 or 10 oclock.

B-26s are salamanderly...they seem to have amazing side coverage.  When I have flown fighters, the B26s have always scored engine hits from incredible distances.  Most get impatient and go for the 6 attack, since the B26 is so fast.  Like the Lanc, Ive found the B26 can't survive missing any wing parts.

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2004, 04:28:01 PM »
if you trouble with buffs, you are doing it wrong.

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2004, 04:30:14 PM »
I patiently wait until D-700 and hammer away. Then they whine on channel one how the buff guns are uber.

Lethality is the same with all others, velocity at impact appears to determine the amount of damage. So if you are in a p51 d700 dead 6 firing at a buff and he’s firing back 1 hit from him on you will cause more damage then you on him. You are flying into his rounds. You may have experienced this effect in a ho as well.

So lethality isn't an issue with buffs. (unless it is across the board with all planes with 50s)

But I quote you above because d700....

Testing done by the USAAF found that the bullet pattern from a B-17 during ground testing had the following results for 12 rounds to 600yds:

ball turret > dia. 15' - 8.3mils
upper turret > dia. 21' - 11.7mils
chin turret > dia. 23' - 12.6 mils
waist(closed) dia. 26' - 14.3mils
side nose > dia. 34' - 18.7mils
tail turret > dia 45' - 25mils

For the B-24 it was:

ball turret > dia. 15' - 8.3mils
upper turret > dia. 20' - 11.2mils
nose turret > dia. 23' - 12.9mils (Emerson)
nose turret > dia. 35' - 19.3mils (Motor Prod.)
waist(closed) dia. 23' - 12.9mils
waist(open) dia. 63' - 35.6mils
tail turret > dia 35' - 19.3mils

At 600yrd the tail gunner pattern is 45 feet firing 12 rounds. With no vibration, eng stream effects etc the gunner positions are as stable as a field gun and allow the gunner to easily aim at long range and score hits. Combine this with what I stated above its no wonder some folk’s feel that buff guns are over done. Certainly the lack of gun shake etc is a game play decision but it’s also clear that buff gunners in ah are far more accurate then one reads about in rl.

There is some truth in what he says. You may like it as is but that has no bearing on whether hes right or wrong.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2004, 04:47:13 PM »
I never seem to get enough lead in my buff gunnery for off angle shots but there are two shots I love.  Dead 6 :rolleyes: and co-alt and parallel out to d1.6; brings a smile to my hart.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline GODO

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.terra.es/personal2/matias.s/fw190.htm
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2004, 05:12:56 PM »
The only buffs I see lately are fast B26 formations at sea level. And yep, one ping, radiator out, second ping, wing out, and so on.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2004, 06:07:02 PM »
Originally posted by GODO
The only buffs I see lately are fast B26 formations at sea level. And yep, one ping, radiator out, second ping, wing out, and so on.

Yup, demaw does this and only this, he has like 3,000 buff sorties a camp. Just flies B26's on the deck and shoots down fighters. I have even seen Bishop Niki's and Spits run to his guns for cover. Kind of a rediculous scenario...I have not been in Aces High since it's inception but it seems like buff guns were jacked up and then they added the formation thing. So, now we have an overpowering situation that really isn't realistic.
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2004, 07:11:55 PM »
Originally posted by Zazen13
Yup, demaw does this and only this, he has like 3,000 buff sorties a camp. Just flies B26's on the deck and shoots down fighters. I have even seen Bishop Niki's and Spits run to his guns for cover. Kind of a rediculous scenario...I have not been in Aces High since it's inception but it seems like buff guns were jacked up and then they added the formation thing. So, now we have an overpowering situation that really isn't realistic.

Actually they were worse before the formation bacuase there was no cutout when firing through the tail or wing.  When they added the formation they also added the cutout on the guns.  In addition to that the guns from the two aircraft you are not sitting in almost always miss.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-