Author Topic: Favorite Karate actor  (Read 2522 times)

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
Favorite Karate actor
« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2004, 01:54:05 AM »
Great posts Kweassa!!!

All I know is studying karate or any martial art involves a tremendous amount of work and devotion.  Probably over a period of 15 years or more to be competent in it.

Only fights I've ever been in were bar scuffles with bouncers.  These were not deadly serious fights because they knew I was drunk off my gourd, and responded accordingly.  I've been punched, thrown down by Judo:) , and bear hugged from behind.  Every time I had it coming (and didn't feel a thing.)   In  those cases I was not very agressive because I hadn't been training.  I did return blows to the non-Judo bouncer.  Though I managed to end up in the drunk tank once on a public drunk when a bouncer tried to handcuff me.  I didn't like that, and didn't know he was an off duty cop.  That was kinda strange in my mind cause we crashed through a flimsy wooden fence in the bar and plowed into the band.  I landed on top of him.  The bouncer was down for about a minute before he got up again.  The band members were cursing and p'od.  I couldn't help it, I was extremely drunk...the drunkest I've ever been in a bar.  (But I trained regularly and was in good shape.)  By coincidence they were playing "Ground Zero" at the time.  I paid for that one by drinking jail water from the toilet using my shoe... after 8 hours with a bad dry-mouth and no other source of water.  My cellmate showed me how to do that.

I've gotten away with a lot of foolishness by the grace of God.  Those days are over for me now, mainly because I don't go to bars any more.  But man, back then I had the energy to do those things.:D  Time changes everything.

Now I just sit on my butt and play AH, and I can't hardly do that anymore.  I'm becoming a turret dweeb!!!  At least playing this game keeps me out of trouble.  Except from maybe you guys.  

Les

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
Favorite Karate actor
« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2004, 02:52:18 AM »
10 points if anyone knows the full story of Carlos Gracie without googling.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Favorite Karate actor
« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2004, 03:10:55 AM »
Isnt that a jiu-jitsu style? brazilian or something?

dont remember the facts

Offline -tronski-

• Gold Member
Favorite Karate actor
« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2004, 06:54:04 AM »

Tronsky
God created Arrakis to train the faithful

Offline Naso

• Silver Member
      • http://www.4stormo.it
Favorite Karate actor
« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2004, 06:55:04 AM »
Originally posted by DoctorYO
I am amused that some of you invest your time into Tae Kwon Dancing...  

DocYo, Tae Kwon Dancing is for young, naive people, unless they want to spend the entire life perfectioning it.

As you grow older, smarter, and experienced, you discover that the beauty of the style is not enough, and that the human body is much more resistent than you tought watching Kung-Fu movies.

So you may start using more direct approaches, or.. ehm... tools. :D

Anyway, I've found, now, in my actual age, that AiKiDo is a very good and effective art, expecially if "integrated" with more traditional and ancient "local" arts.... and some... creativity.
;)

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
Favorite Karate actor
« Reply #80 on: March 26, 2004, 07:11:14 AM »
Originally posted by Nilsen10
Isnt that a jiu-jitsu style? brazilian or something?

dont remember the facts

Vaguely in the right place.  Now who's Carlos Gracie?

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Favorite Karate actor
« Reply #81 on: March 26, 2004, 08:03:15 AM »
nilsen... good for you.  I hope I never get into another fight on the street again.   My early life was formed around drugs and Harleys.   I seen a LOT of fights and participated in too many.

I guess I kinda look at all these movies with women kicking the crap out of men and these guys dancing in bathrobes in "dojo's" after work and it is kinda hard to watch compared to the reality of the thing.   Never seen a woman put up a good fite and I never seen where the dance moves helped much in the real deal except... seems guys who wrestled and boxed did a little better.

seems that it is attitude that matters.   I have nothing against martial arts... it builds confidence and is probly exercise...  both good things.

watching men and women in movies take blows that would crush cheeks and detach retina's tho...  that is kinda hard to take.

lazs

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
Favorite Karate actor
« Reply #82 on: March 26, 2004, 08:16:48 AM »
For martial ARTS to be really effective in real life you have to be very good at it imo. The average person with a couple of years of practise is more a danger to himself (way to big balls for his skill) than any other he may face in a fight.

However...when you get so far in your trainig that your "body" knows how to react to whatever threat is comming at you, then you have reached a skill level that makes it very useful. If you just have the skills in your HEAD to know what block or whatever to use when a fist comes your way you are gonna be to slow and your responce will be usless.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Favorite Karate actor
« Reply #83 on: March 26, 2004, 08:55:24 AM »
yep.. every fight I ever been involved in was either pretty much over after the first blow or turned into a combo boxing/wrestling match...  the guys who were experianced with boxing or leverage and had the stomach for it did better.   I allways  found that smashing peoples heads into something hard was about the best.  If they helped you by being off balance...all the better.  

I think most people just freeze up and thier brain trys to convince em it isn't happening.  some people go into shock from the most minor blow if they are allready stressed it seems.  Others will continue on with broken bones..   everyone is different.

I did a lot of boxing in the old days and we broke noses and hands and even ribs.   Not saying you get used to it but.. you do learn to work around it a little... most have never experianced it.

lazs

Offline Naso

• Silver Member
      • http://www.4stormo.it
Favorite Karate actor
« Reply #84 on: March 26, 2004, 10:06:51 AM »
Broken hand (or better, finger) :

Initially seems nothing, but when adrenaline comes down... ouch...

But I remember the worse part was when finally the "stick" (?) was removed....

Oh, the pain to move the finger again, and the time to recover funcionality.

Thank God my ribs are save, but comparing the pain of the finger, a broken rib must be painfull.

On the other side, i dont remember so much pain for the broken nose, maybe for the "collateral damage" around it.

What still amaze me is how difficult is to place a good, precise hit on a adversary, they dont seem to understand that the rule is to wait for my punch.
;)

And they had the disappointing habit to try to hit me!!
Unbeleivable.

:mad:

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
Favorite Karate actor
« Reply #85 on: March 26, 2004, 11:51:42 AM »
That's true Lazs, but what if the person you're attacking is insane???  They might have secret techniques for dealing with the attack.  You say they won't.  An insane person, or very self disciplined person would not flinch, even if you swung a 2x4 at 'em.  They would be completely fearless in that situation.  Of course if you hit em and they were alone, then they'd be hit pretty hard in the nose.  It makes you think.  Who would you trust to do that?

Cause there's always someone out there who's bigger and better than you, that can whip your butt, and that's why I don't like to fight.:D

Les

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Favorite Karate actor
« Reply #86 on: March 26, 2004, 02:21:13 PM »
never gave it much thought... when the guy quits moving it's over.    Sometimes you can bang his head on the floor like a half dozen times and he still resists.   Is that what you mean by insane?  

I really don't know.   I feel lucky to have come out of most fights as well as I did and don't care if I ever get into another one in my life... even winning is allmost allways painful...  These days if I cut myself or smash a knuckle working on cars I whine.

lazs

Offline LAWCobra

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://www.lawsquadron.cjb.net
Favorite Karate actor
« Reply #87 on: March 26, 2004, 07:38:11 PM »
I have worked as a bouncer in country bars and titty bars.
There worst arse whoopin I got was trying to settle a dispute between two dancers over tips.

Those mean biotches kicked my arse:(

And I have had people come at me with baseball bats pool cues
Pool balls knives you name it.
Trust me you dont ever wanna get it the middle of two coke potatos going at it in a cat fight.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
Favorite Karate actor
« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2004, 03:49:04 AM »
It's undeniable that bigger and stronger people always have the first initial advantage when fighting. The "size does not matter" phrase, is more of an ideal, an ultimate goal of every martial art, rather than how it really is. That's why they have different weight divisions in almost every type of fighting sport.

Overcoming the size, reach, power, and the weight of the opponent with only skill..  I'd say that's pretty much impossible, even for trained fighters in professional bouts. I mean, there's a reason why school bullies have thrived through thousands of years of human history ;)

However, martial arts can provide an intimate knowledge of various situations concerning combat. Where to hit, how to hit, and etc etc.

In that sense, like Naso says, Judo, Ju-jitsu and Aikido is probably some of the best martial arts to learn for self-defensive purposes. Because, usually not even the strongest people can withstand a stretch, lock, or a twist on the joints.

Granted, that stronger and bigger people with more strength can resist better, but that's usually with trained fighters.

Most ordinary people don't have much knowledge in what their joints can do, or how they may be attacked. They instinctively avoid one part of their joints being stretched or locked, but when a move comes that attacks all sorts of joints at the same time systematically they usually cannot resist that.

The fact that Judo and Jujitsu became such a powerful martial art even in professional fights, is that the opponents are matched at zero-distance. At this one time, I met a friend of mine who practices jujitsu. We were both drunk, and with a spot of fun, I urged him to show me some of the moves he practices in a nearby park.

Now, I'm 6 ft. 4" and weigh about 220lbs, used to bodybuild a bit(all flabby now, tho' lol :D ), and my friend was at least 5 inches shorter than me and much lighter.

We grabbed each other by the waist, and in a flash, he tripped me down. And then geez, he was climbing all over my body like a cockroach, and before I knew what happened, he locked my arm in a classic arm-bar before I could even try to resist by tensing arm muscles.

If it's a 1vs1 situations, the chances are, if you really have to seriously fight, a combination of jujitsu, judo and aikido will be the most efficient in totalling the guy :)

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
Favorite Karate actor
« Reply #89 on: March 27, 2004, 05:45:39 AM »
Originally posted by Kweassa
If it's a 1vs1 situations, the chances are, if you really have to seriously fight, a combination of jujitsu, judo and aikido will be the most efficient in totalling the guy :)

Judo and Aikido were both developed from Ju-Jitsu.

Ju-Jitsu can be traced back 2000 years and is referred to in Japan as the father martial art.

However, when Judo first came about in the late 1800s the founder of Judo (a Ju-Jitsu master) challenged a local Ju-Jitsu dojo to a tournament.  The Judo students won pretty much every fight..........which is kinda ego deflating considering I studied Ju-Jitsu for 14 years and my best friends mother was a Judo black belt.