Author Topic: AH Classic, AH II, and AH Premium?  (Read 4580 times)

Offline HUN

• Copper Member
AH Classic, AH II, and AH Premium?
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2004, 09:13:41 AM »
Originally posted by SirLoin
htc should limit the # of planes that can up from one base...it worked in aw3.

Actually there were numerous occasions when the “zones” hindered a country’s ability to defend its front-line bases.  If your entire front was under attack the zones forced you to up from rear fields—which also quickly became “full” zones. Thus if you were being steam rolled the zones actually hindered the defenders ability to put up similar numbers to the enemy

In addition the zones pushed the fight to 30K and above as the zones forced people to come from further and further bases to the “fight.”

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2004, 09:38:32 AM »
I don't think that having a $30.00 Arena would fix it, though I do agree that the game isn't what it used to be.

I got fed up and railed against it online a few weeks ago.  Just got mocked though.  Seems most people are fine with it as it is now.

I do miss the balanced air-to-air fights though.  Oh, I know they never were the most common kind of fight, but I can't recall the last time that I wasn't a ganger or gangee.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline jaxxo

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2004, 10:23:43 AM »
I would pay the extra money to get better fights. The game has really lost some appeal due to the steamroller. Ive resorted to upping ackstar b17s just for something different. I rarely find a pilot that gives me a good long fight without his buds or mine ruining it. I still have alot of fun..but the arcade mentality is getting out of control...Wish there  was an arena where only players with an established number of points, or rank based, or k/d ratio....could log in and have skilled pilots fight each other. :) See u all from my tailgun sight...990000 u form a b17 squad yet?  :P

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2004, 11:05:28 AM »
Zip, I'd have to agree. I'm not sure upping the ante would change much.

I think we have to ask "why". Why is steamrollering the mode of gameplay. I'd say it has to do with the way the game is structured and the "goals". Perhaps it's better said as "what does the game reward"?

Presently, AH rewards field capture by awarding the "reset" and the "perk points" that are tossed out like a tiny milkbone to the winning side.

Now, while many folks ignore reset and ignore perks, it's obvious that the overwhelming majority has bought into the system.

I mean what happens in a reset? Uh.... the game starts over in about 2 seconds. Other than some meaningless chest-thumping on Channel 1, what has really been achieved?

Perk Points? Who really cares? How many are just heartbroken when they don't have enough perks for a Tempest? Jeez, they could take the perk planes out of the game and for guys like me, it would go unnoticed.

Rather than price, I think some re-evaluation of goals and gameplay with subsequent changes would be required.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2004, 11:22:40 AM »
It's not just the strat.  Look at a furball for example.  You get maybe 20% of the pilots in the middle with even numbers, 5% venturing into the void and 75% staying back in hopes of being one of the 10 to get an assist on the 5% that ventured in.  It's not perk point driven, it's not strat driven, it's just people prefering the easy kill vs the even matchup.

MiniD

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2004, 11:35:40 AM »
Yeah Mini,

But its your choice as to where you want to fight and you can always find one either in, on top of, or at the edge of the furball.

At least you can find people that want to fight, which is lacking when the steamroll and vulch crowd get to a base.

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2004, 11:53:58 AM »
It's not just the strat. Look at a furball for example. You get maybe 20% of the pilots in the middle with even numbers, 5% venturing into the void and 75% staying back in hopes of being one of the 10 to get an assist on the 5% that ventured in. It's not perk point driven, it's not strat driven, it's just people prefering the easy kill vs the even matchup.

It always reminds me of that scene from 2001: A Space Odyssey where the two groups of pre-human monkeys are standing on each side of the stream beating their chests and making all the noise - but afraid to actually cross and get it on.  

Charon

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2004, 12:12:23 PM »
You can fight at the edge of the steamroll, above it, or wherever too.  That's the benifit of not really caring about what you're doing... you can do it anywhere.  Hell, vulching vulchers is almost as fun as vulching aircraft on the runway.  Besides, hanging above a fight is not looking for one.  It's looking for hapless victims.  It's pretty hard to bag on vulching while promoting cherry picking.  Both are just people looking for a distinct advantage.

Besides, if there's a steamroll, it's usually only hitting one base.  You can find another where it's not occuring.  Basically, you can still chose what type of fight you're looking for and find it.  No matter where you go, however, you have to rely on someone else looking for the same thing.

MiniD

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2004, 12:29:11 PM »
In my personal opinion the current state of affairs is fairly realistic. It fairly accurately reflects the flavor of engagements that actually took place in WW2. For the most part engagements were between large flights (16 man +) and even multiple squadrons engaging other multiple squadrons. Large, organized air offensives were run several times a day and included fighter sweeps and various types of interdiction missions the goal of which was to draw the enemy into a fight in one place while overwhelming them in another. In fact, the allies had an elaborate system of deception whereby they would confuse the German radar and observers with multi-pronged thrusts some being feints while others were legitimate attacks.

Thrusting the enemy into a situation where local, static defense becomes futile is a valid strategic goal of air combat. History has proven that deploying air power in a purely defensive role is not effective. The steamroll or be steamrolled phenomena is just the extreme manifestation of this truism of strategic air war. From a fighter pilots persepctive, the multiple strata of the typical many vs. many engagements prevalent in the MA today is tactically complex and very interesting to negotiate from a tactical point of view, moreso than any 1 vs. 1 encounter. To be successfull in a sector crowded with friendly and enemy on multiple levels requires alot of finesse and a surgical approach to combat tactics, something the actual participants in the WW2 air conflict could appreciate.

Zazen
« Last Edit: March 31, 2004, 01:05:18 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline SELECTOR

• Gold Member
      • http://www.332viking.com
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2004, 12:29:48 PM »
what i would like to see ended is spit v spit .. p51Vp51 fights... lets fight for a team who have a certain plane set..

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2004, 12:39:21 PM »
I'm not talking about what passes for strat. I'm talking about what passes for "the object of the game".

In beta, which I believe was the most fun for me, what was the object of the game? Well, primarily it was to find someone and fight him.

No real "glorious" resets per se, no new map.. we only had one map, no Perk Points to fly Perk Planes. Nah, for most people it was long on and fight. It was great fun.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Zippatuh

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2004, 02:35:45 PM »
30 bucks would get you into the “premium” arena as well as all of the others, classic and AHII.  If you continue to pay the $15, fine, you get classic and AHII, but not the premium arena.

Trying to pass the steamroller off as “historical reenactment” is just a crutch.  Hit the arcade and whack gofers.  I want to knife fight and those seem to be getting pretty far and few between.

The best of the night was defending a base.  It really wasn’t that hard.  The land laid a certain way that forced everyone to a certain point and the distance was far enough that most were coming in at 15-20K.  It was decent until the attack was fended off long enough for my country mates to get some air.  Then to my surprise, not only did they get some air, but someone called in the steamroller.  Before I knew it, we were vulching.

I think the $30 would thin the crowd out.  I’m looking for some quality now.  There doesn’t seem to be much of that anymore.  Or at least it’s been watered down pretty good.  Maybe there is some and it all has to do with numbers.  Regardless it’s harder to find a stand up fight now than it was.

If my arse is going to be handed to me I’d like to throw a salute someone’s way along with the hart thumping that I used to get.  I realize now that I am, and have been for awhile, shooting fish in a barrel, or being one of the fish.

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2004, 02:40:02 PM »
You can fight at the edge of the steamroll, above it, or wherever too. That's the benifit of not really caring about what you're doing... you can do it anywhere. Hell, vulching vulchers is almost as fun as vulching aircraft on the runway. Besides, hanging above a fight is not looking for one.

I disagree, the streamrollers run like dogs and don't usually fight.  The furballers will engage you and fight.  That was my point.  

It's looking for hapless victims. It's pretty hard to bag on vulching while promoting cherry picking. Both are just people looking for a distinct advantage.

LOL, you would take what I said as promoting cherry picking.  All that I pointed out was there are plenty of places to find a fight around a furball.

Besides, if there's a steamroll, it's usually only hitting one base. You can find another where it's not occuring. Basically, you can still chose what type of fight you're looking for and find it. No matter where you go, however, you have to rely on someone else looking for the same thing.

I don't mind the steam rollers, I hate the runners.  I can handle my own in a multiple on 1 engagement so I enjoy the challenge, plus if I end up on a woos runners tail there are always more cons close by.

I agree with Zip tho the guys that fly safe and don't engage are ruining this game for me as well and they wast too much time not engaging.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2004, 03:16:36 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
Perk Points? Who really cares? How many are just heartbroken when they don't have enough perks for a Tempest? Jeez, they could take the perk planes out of the game and for guys like me, it would go unnoticed.
Erm... in one tour, not so many moons ago, the CHog was your #4 plane (Easymode P51 and LA7 were your #3 & #5). So maybe you WOULD notice if perk planes disappeared! :lol:aok

Muhahahaha Mr. Toad! Just pulling your pisser.  :D;):cool:

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2004, 03:32:59 PM »
Yeah beet but he flies these planes at 5k or below:aok