Author Topic: Silent Hunter II Pacific Aces  (Read 3385 times)

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Silent Hunter II Pacific Aces
« on: April 04, 2004, 02:37:08 PM »
Anyone has even the slightest interest in submarine sims I highly reccomend the recent conversion mod for Silent Hunter II titled Pacific Aces. It's an incredibly professional mod and you'd think it was an official expansion pack.

http://www.subsim.com/subsim_reviews_index.html

Make a small donation to subsim.com and you can download it.

Most fun I've had with a sub sim since the original Silent Hunter and Aces of The Deep.

...-Gixer

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2004, 03:12:00 PM »
Why dont you just wait for SHIII?

Scuttlebut says Its gonna be Pacific Based.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2004, 03:52:52 PM »
because this one is great, better then SH2, not just different countries.  higher rez, way better graphics, more realistic damage modle (no more depth charges destorying your sub from 50 to 100 meters away).

plus most of us who've played other versions no better than to wait for a silent hunter release.  one of the kings of no-show.  

and if it's anything like 2 it will show up half finished, and unagle to run, with no tech suport from ubi and requiring players to take it upon themselves to rebuild the game.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2004, 10:05:56 PM »
Originally posted by capt. apathy
plus most of us who've played other versions no better than to wait for a silent hunter release.  one of the kings of no-show.  

and if it's anything like 2 it will show up half finished, and unagle to run, with no tech suport from ubi and requiring players to take it upon themselves to rebuild the game.

Yeah I said this in a thread a few weeks ago.

SHIII will be make or break for me, If they release a half assed game I'm through with them.

Unfortunatly I dont have the time to download a 144 MB "AddOn"
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2004, 10:36:04 PM »
Besides ... SHIII will be out in two weeks! :rolleyes: :D

(I'm making the donation and getting the CD) :)

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2004, 11:56:22 PM »
Unfortunatly I dont have the time to download a 144 MB "AddOn"

for a $20 donation they will send it to you on cd along with the hi-rez patch, the add-ons for graphics, sounds, damage models.  plus some artwork and wallpaper shots.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2004, 12:09:43 AM »
Well, Now that I think about it more :D

I love SH2 patched with Messerwetzer, And a Pacific Aces Addon would be cool.

Offline Batz

• Gold Member
      • http://bellsouthpwp.net/w/o/wotans/4JG53/
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2004, 01:06:37 AM »
I bought SHII when it came out but the sound was always grabled and distorted. I could never figure out how to fix it.

Did any of you have this problem? Is their a fix?

I would love to give it a go but I am not going to bother fighting with it to run.

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2004, 01:37:12 AM »
ya the patches fixed that.  it now runs fairly stable on xp also  (the paciffic aces version is also even more stable than the patched SH2)

if you also add some of the aditional sound and graphics patches you get things like burning oil slicks after hitting a tanker,  or a nice mushroom cloud of flame if you hit tankers or ammo ships in the right spot.

I do seem to have a german spy on my boat though.  when I signal for '35 deg right rudder'  the confirmation reply comes back with a distinct german accent.  all the rest are american voices.  when you have engine damage the guy complaining kinda sounds like jack nickelson.

you deffinatly want to add on the rework of the depthcharge damage models(made by redwine).  with a more realistic modle you actually have a decent chance of slipping away on silent if you go deep enough and do some zig-zaging.  (I'm not sure, but I believe this is also the patch that fixed it so you can confuse the sonar signal by going close to the bottom,  with standard SH2 the desroyers seemed to know exactly where you where at all times and only had to get charges within a ships-length or so from you to tear you up.)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2004, 01:47:46 AM by capt. apathy »

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2004, 09:14:33 AM »
I d/l'd the patch but haven't had a chance to try it.  I'm interested in trying the Pacific Aces mod, but I just can't tear myself away from my copy of "Silent Hunter: Commander's Edition" just yet.  Neal Stevens is a great guy and is doing a lot of hard work.  It'd be worth sending him $20 just for what he's done for submarine sims and WW2 submarine restoration.

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2004, 09:23:07 AM »
you don't have to loose your original instalation.  you can set up both versions (or are you talking about sh1?)

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2004, 09:25:21 AM »
Originally posted by capt. apathy
you don't have to loose your original instalation.  you can set up both versions (or are you talking about sh1?)

Yeah, I was afraid I'd lose SH2 with U-boats.  I assume there's a FAQ that talks about doing SH2 both ways?

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2004, 09:47:43 AM »
ya, basicly it amounts to changing the name of the SH2 folder to 'back-up' or whatever as long as it's not SH2.  then uninstall, (this will leav it all of it there but allow you to do another install) after you do a fresh install, just change the originals name back to sh2, and rename the new install as pacific aces.

then when you add the patches make sure you install all of the PA files into that version.

there's a set by step in the read-me file, and it was fairly easy.  you are left with both versions and both are fully playable.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2004, 10:10:56 AM »
Is it worth doing all that legwork?  I'm happy doing SH1 for US subs.  Does the mod really add that much more to the game line?

I'll have to think about it.  I'll probably get it on cd just to have it for future use.

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2004, 01:52:30 PM »
well worth it IMO