Author Topic: Why all the complaining about HO?  (Read 6610 times)

Offline Adogg

• Copper Member
ahhhhh... the HO.
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2004, 09:56:32 AM »
1. Anyone who *****es an HO attempt was trying to do the same thing. You can't HO someone who isn't pointing their nose right at you. Because of the potential for lag I hose a little out of comfortable gun range then break - avoids the ram problem (most of the time).

2. When i want to intercept something quickly i up a LA7 - its fast and climbs like a monkey if you don't like my ride shoot me down. I'm happy to up another, brother :)

3. Whiners aren't happy no matter what you do. If you'd dropped on their 6 from an altitude advantage you'd be an alt-monkey. Or heaven forbid they never see you...then your using the stealth cheat (my personal favourite.)

4. Killem. Killem again. Then killem some more.

Offline rogerdee

• Gold Member
      • http://rogerdee.co.uk
Why all the complaining about HO?
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2004, 12:00:41 PM »
some  hurrican units used the head on attack with great success to break up the enemy bomber formations during the battle of bitain.but this tactic was mainly because they were not high enough to manouver and attack form a better angle.
          nthing better then to break up a formaton then 12 huricans hiting you head on

the many still owe a lot to the few

and i am proud to be english
490th battling bulldogs
www.rogerdee.co.uk

it does what it says on the tin

Offline 68DevilM

• Gold Member
i love this post,

yeah the hell with them

i love the spit

Offline FOGOLD

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2004, 04:41:21 PM »
There is a difference between a HO shot, (which can be like a snapshot with intelligent shooting and timely evasion) and a deliberate ram, which is pretty desperate. Also you wont get the kill. Also internet lag can make it tricky.

I still maintain if you can pull it off, best of luck to you;)

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2004, 06:41:14 PM »
headon great fun when
opponent die if you can
survive the whining
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2004, 07:34:01 PM »
Also (Bozon?) what is a HO anyway? It's not often you get a DIRECT head to head, but while outmanouvering an opponent you often find yourself Almost head to head and can take a shot.

The is no "almost" in an HO situation ... only in horseshoes and hand grenades ... :D

AN HO is ...

nose-to-nose .. guns-to-guns .. when both planes CAN shoot each other ... simple as that.

Anytime one plane can shoot another plane, without the other plane aquiring a guns solution, at the same time, is a deflection shot.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline -MZ-

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2004, 08:12:35 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
Anytime one plane can shoot another plane, without the other plane aquiring a guns solution, at the same time, is a deflection shot.

Unless one is directly behind the other, but otherwise that is a good point.

Offline Redd

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2004, 09:21:01 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
Also (Bozon?) what is a HO anyway? It's not often you get a DIRECT head to head, but while outmanouvering an opponent you often find yourself Almost head to head and can take a shot.

The is no "almost" in an HO situation ... only in horseshoes and hand grenades ... :D

AN HO is ...

nose-to-nose .. guns-to-guns .. when both planes CAN shoot each other ... simple as that.

Not sure I agree with that completely.

What about the classic  FW/109  HO  merge.

They come straight at you from a long way off for the HO merge/joust.

There's no way you want reciprocate the HO merge (a) it's dweeby and (b) they have bigger guns

You duck and weave at merge to try to avoid them (and their cannons) .

Every now and then  they do manage to spray enough cannon on the merge to land a couple of pings before extending to the horizon line.

They fly away thinking - gee that was great deflection shooting.

I float to the ground thinking " nice HO FW dweeb"   :)

It doesn't always take 2 to HO

Redd
I come from a land downunder

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2004, 09:53:40 PM »
Head Ons are Head Ons,  wether it is both firing or one firing, if you see a plane coming at you and you try to duck / roll/ turn away, it is a high deflection shot if he still hits you, he is going for the head on, but you turn and present him with a high chance at a deflection shot . It is hard for some to avoid HO's but others have better ease at it.  

The biggest thing is the bogey that extends, reverses flys back at you starts shooting 1k out coming right for you nose to nose, then extends and trys it over and over, that dopey bogey has no knowledge of how to fly and takes the easy way out.

It would be nice to see HO's reduced chance of hitting, sort of like AW was, I feel this would be good for the guys to have to learn how to manuever and learn BFM/ACM to the point where they would have to gain angles to get a kill, not some luck chance of scoring a HO kill everytime.

Only with this will you see who is the better skilled pilot, and it would open the door for alot of the underknowledge pilots to learn how to use their planes to their advantages etc.....

I always had an opinion if you could have the chance of HO's turned off or reduced considerably you would see alot better dogfights, air to air combat, and with this actually strengthen the community rather than it be looked upon as another  1st person shoot and kill game.

add to that that probably most of the top 300 in the fighter pilot ranks would drop out of sight to nowhere with the exception of an elite few.
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2004, 10:01:57 PM »
besides that, if you think about it, most people that flew in WWII would never shoot Head On unless it was a last chance hope / effort, reason being they didn't want to be shot in the face also while going for a HO. It would be a lose/lose situation. The object has always been surprise, attack from the 3/9 line back. unless you was attacking a bomber, then yes bombers were attacked Head On,  most times because certian bombers didn't have nose mounted guns.

The Head On delimma will always exist, it has ever since I been flying online sims, since 95. But, it is up to every one of us in game to discourage it and teach the new flocklings of the right way and the wrong way.  So you could say all of us in the game flying are to blame for letting it get as far as it has.
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline HUN

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2004, 10:30:04 AM »
Originally posted by TequilaChaser

add to that that probably most of the top 300 in the fighter pilot ranks would drop out of sight to nowhere with the exception of an elite few.

While rank does not necessarily equate to skill you can not actually be implying that the vast majority of the top 300 make their living off of HOs.

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2004, 10:49:15 AM »
Originally posted by HUN
While rank does not necessarily equate to skill you can not actually be implying that the vast majority of the top 300 make their living off of HOs.

:D  I got a bite  :D

nah, seriously, I exagerated a little extremely there.  Is alot of it going on though, for simple reason they don't know any better way or they to dang lazy to take the time to learn their paticular planes abilities.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2004, 10:52:01 AM by TequilaChaser »

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2004, 01:44:01 PM »
Bah.

A pilot who commits to the HO sacrifces the possibility of using a lead turn, and puts himself at a disadvantage.

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2004, 05:38:25 PM »
Bah.

A pilot who commits to the HO increases the possibility of getting engine hits which will put himself at an advantage.
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline AcePappy

• Zinc Member
Correct
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2004, 11:45:09 PM »
Debuman is 100% correct. Everytime i HO someone they complain and whine like a little girl. It gets old, seriousy people. Get over it, you die you die, get back up and try again, kinda like riding a bike for the first time eh gents?. In World War II if you were in the air in a 109 and going against a Spitfire, would you get on his radio channel and yell out "Hey Kraut you HO'd me you cheater!" ? no i dont think so. Would you go against a 109 in a spitfire and yell to your enemy "Hey You P***Y!! Get out of high alttitude"! ? God the complaining gets annoying, deal with it, it's a war game, people use every chance they can to shoot you down so, do the same to them. Just think, the Ho can save you from getting killed. It can also help you when there's more then 1 on you. Jus think, if you dont kill them in any way possible, there just going to try and kill you.
       Just My 2 cents.

~AcePappy~
     Commanding STAFF
      248 Squadron RAF
      "Yorkshire Coast"