Author Topic: Letter from Iraqi Mother to US moms...  (Read 2208 times)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Letter from Iraqi Mother to US moms...
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2004, 04:38:50 PM »
I haven't read any of it yet, guess I need to. I have to agree though that if we are in fact writing it for them there is no reason for it to differ substantially from the US Constitution.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2004, 04:48:43 PM »
Well, it is written by 25 "hand picked" Iraqi Clerics and being overseen by Bremer & Co.(our handprint is on it)  

Here is some from a liberal site, the articles listed I believe are as written http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=18267

This is from Fox http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,113576,00.html

Look at article 18, they better hope there are no democrats in Iraq:lol
« Last Edit: April 07, 2004, 04:51:43 PM by Sixpence »
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2004, 04:53:10 PM »
It says right at the beginning "transitional period". Doesn't that mean temporary to you?

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2004, 04:55:09 PM »
Here ya go, from Article 3

(C) This Law shall cease to have effect upon the formation of an elected government pursuant to a permanent constitution.

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2004, 04:59:30 PM »
I'm trying to find how they change or amend it. You see article 7? That could end up contradicting other parts of the constitution. I don't think women are as equals in Islam, no? This is some good reading.
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2004, 05:02:12 PM »
I'll tell ya, this is one hell of a temporary constitution.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2004, 05:02:25 PM »
The whole thing is intended only for the transitional period and becomes null and void when Iraq's democractically elected government writes it's own. I'm fine with Iraqi's not having guns until then.

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2004, 05:07:55 PM »
Originally posted by AKIron
The whole thing is intended only for the transitional period and becomes null and void when Iraq's democractically elected government writes it's own. I'm fine with Iraqi's not having guns until then.

Well, read article 61, it could end up as an endless cycle.

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2004, 05:08:00 PM »
Boroda, shouldnt you be in a bread line somewhere?  Or maybe its the line for the daily vodka allotment?   :rofl

As far as Iraq is concerned, I am all for the complete pull out of all our troops.  I don't see any value in our troops dieing for such a screwed up country.  Yes, it is screwed up and despite any and all efforts it will stay screwed up for generations to come.

They are just too stupid/gullible/stubborn to ever straighten out anytime soon.

One thing is for sure, all the other Mid-Eastern nations wouldn't be rushing in to help them stabilize and move forward in our void if we left.  No, same turds who say we should leave would just blame us for leaving them unprepared for the future  (everything in the future bad that happens would be all our fault).

The only solution that I see is the generous application of nuclear weapons.  :aok

dago the beneficient
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline 101ABN

• Nickel Member
« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2004, 05:13:54 PM »
no, women are not equal in a islamic nation. they have alot of seperate laws that they must follow along with the regular laws.  as for the right to keep, purchase, and bear arms... i think that enland had the influence on that one. most of europe have laws out that forbit privately owned firearms. they say that it will help curb violent crimes (alot of BS in my book). as for clerics, they are given their titles because of their social status throughout their family line. when they all get together for the "loyra jurga" they talk about issues facing every providence, with every tribe. so far the clerics have changed the constitution 2 times.

and for the comment talking about who is better the sunni and shiite... either group is better. when saddam was in power the sunni had the life on easy street. when we invaded the shiite figured that it was their time in the sun, they were wrong. the kurdish population thought the same thing. as it turns out now the shiite are ticked off at us now because we havent put them on easy street.

Offline bullett308

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2004, 05:16:10 PM »
Originally posted by 101ABN
no, women are not equal in a islamic nation. they have alot of seperate laws that they must follow along with the regular laws.  as for the right to keep, purchase, and bear arms... i think that enland had the influence on that one. most of europe have laws out that forbit privately owned firearms. they say that it will help curb violent crimes (alot of BS in my book). as for clerics, they are given their titles because of their social status throughout their family line. when they all get together for the "loyra jurga" they talk about issues facing every providence, with every tribe. so far the clerics have changed the constitution 2 times.

and for the comment talking about who is better the sunni and shiite... either group is better. when saddam was in power the sunni had the life on easy street. when we invaded the shiite figured that it was their time in the sun, they were wrong. the kurdish population thought the same thing. as it turns out now the shiite are ticked off at us now because we havent put them on easy street.

Yeah I guess they just cant handle that equallity thing:(

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2004, 05:16:52 PM »
Well, I can see why the temporary constitution is so complex, they could have it for a long time.

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2004, 05:25:50 PM »
Originally posted by bullett308
Yeah I guess they just cant handle that equallity thing:(

I brought it up because article 7 is written as follows.

Article 7.

A) Islam is the official religion of the State and is to be considered a source of legislation. No law that contradicts the universally agreed tenets of Islam, the principles of democracy, or the rights cited in Chapter Two of this Law may be enacted during the transitional period. This Law respects the Islamic identity of the majority of the Iraqi people and guarantees the full religious rights of all individuals to freedom of religious belief and practice.

(B) Iraq is a country of many nationalities, and the Arab people in Iraq are an inseparable part of the Arab nation.

Now principles of democracy does not mean equal rights for women. And Islam being a source of legislation makes me think twice.

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2004, 06:25:37 PM »
"... I can see why the temporary constitution is so complex, they could have it for a long time."

You mean "months" vs "days" ?

And fwiw, having a constitution doesn't mean they'll adhere to it's articles.

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2004, 06:27:54 PM »
Originally posted by Westy
You mean "months" vs "days" ?

No, I mean years, read article 61