Author Topic: Fw-190d-9 and Spitfire Mk XIV?  (Read 3474 times)

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
Fw-190d-9 and Spitfire Mk XIV?
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2000, 06:40:00 AM »
This one I find funny  

And to those that says the Ta-152 was only a hi alt fighter...the Ta152 met in low alt furballs against Tempests V in last days of the war. They KICKED the tempest's asses.

And the Tempest V was a low alt furballer itself?? Come on RAM    Thats like saying that because a 400 lb man could outrun a 500 lb man in a 50 yard dash that he is a olympic class sprinter. Yeah right  

Numbers are numbers, you can't change the facts with anecdotal data.  Down low the Ta-152 is a poor performer with a high wingloading. Period.

I will get you the Ta152 Ace when I get home tonight. I believe the squadron was JG301, but I am going from memory.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure

[This message has been edited by Vermillion (edited 03-06-2000).]

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2000, 10:09:00 AM »
Hristo,
I did not mean to be rude.  I don't think that jets should be added, not that the 262 didn't have a real participation in the war, it clearly did (on a different note, a Spitfire XIV was the first aircraft to shoot a 262 down on 10-5-44).
The Gloster Meteor entered service 2 weeks before the 262 did, it saw extensive use against V1s and was stationed on the continent in March '45 to counter the 262.  The 2 fighters never met, so the first jet-to-jet combat had to wait till Korea.  It obviously did not have as much an effect on the war as the 262 had.
I'd object less to the 262 than I would to the others, I just don't think that adding jets would be a good thing.  Give us our Spitfire XIVs, Fockewulf 190D-9s and Messerschmitt Bf109K-4s and I think that would be enough.

Sisu
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: March 06, 2000, 02:03:00 PM »
Note that smilie in my post, Karnak, I did not mean it serious.

However, I stand by 262 and its right to get introduced in the arena. The plane might be easy to live in, but kills do not come easy. It is probably the easiest plane to dodge.

As for shooting first 262, I think it was B-17.

Meteor entering service before 262 ? I seriously doubt that. Anyone got that documented ? How about Meteor's combat record ? Did it should anything except a V-1 ?

------------------

JG2 "Richthofen"

[This message has been edited by Hristo (edited 03-06-2000).]