Author Topic: WTG Georgie!  (Read 5749 times)

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
WTG Georgie!
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2004, 05:55:50 AM »
I'm still fuming about this.  You know, before Grun was born, I was a card carrying Republican.  You could count on fiscal responsibility.  It was a Republican credo -- Fiscal Responsibility.  Don't spend money you don't have.

Man, all of that went out the window with all republicans after and including Reagan.  Go figure.  Now, it's the democrats preaching fiscal responsibility.

A long time ago, Oklahoma had a liberal democratic senator who gained notoriety by wanting to give thousands of dollars to each American citizen.  This wasn't a tax break, rather it was a one-time gift.  Hell, this was before Vietnam and we could have easily afforded it.

But, the whole idea who so offensive to most Americans -- giving someone something for nothing -- it didn't go over well at all.

And now look at the sorry mess we're in.  We have a flock of clowns guiding our political ship who not only think it's great to give away money, but hell, let's give away money we don't even have!

I hope snow white puts crab lice in dopey's shorts. :(

curly

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
WTG Georgie!
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2004, 06:24:43 AM »
akcurly

you do realize the tax breaks probably prevented this country from slipping from a recession to a depression right?

the romans did the same thing but were not as successful in the end

yes, both parties spend too much, the only way to control that is give them less
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
WTG Georgie!
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2004, 07:22:00 AM »
Poooey. If you don't earn enough you're not entitled to the benefits.  Let them eat cake.

Offline Athena3

• Zinc Member
WTG Georgie!
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2004, 07:22:56 AM »
Originally posted by AKcurly
Yah, my math education is ok, probably superior to yours. :)  

curly

ROFLMAO....oh Curly, you just made my morning....  Maybe Grun should ask you what you do for a living...  :)

Oh yeah, and on topic, I happen to agree with you.  I'd much rather have a balanced budget/lowered deficit than a couple hundred back at the end of the year.

storch

WTG Georgie!
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2004, 07:36:03 AM »
The less of my money I send to Washington the more I like America.  President  Bush (43) is the Best thing that has happened to America since President Reagan.  What about that speech last night?  What a bunch of ninnies in the press huh?  My favorite was Mr. Gonyea from NPR.  what a pinhead,  we should not fund NPR and send me back my $.000001.  What a waste of taxpayer money.  So I agree with curly WTG President Bush.  I'm glad he got to keep an extra $31,000 of his hard earned money.  Thank you for the post curly.  I'm glad you are so supportive of our great President.  Tell me where I can send you a Bush/ Cheney bumper sticker.

Looking forward to future generations of the Bush family to ably serve my State and our Nation.  God bless President Bush, God Bless America.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
WTG Georgie!
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2004, 07:53:50 AM »
Curly if you concern is budget deficits then dont frame your initial arguments with these words:

"Tax cuts Bush sought saved him $31,000" (From article maybe not your words, I donno?)

"What a prince!"  

"Nope. Prior to the Bush tax cut, that would have been $258,000.00. Let's see, Steve. I'll bet me and you probably saved a hundred or two. What a deal."

This kind of wording made it seem like whine about the fact that he got a bigger tax cut than you.. This wording from the very begging directed the tone of your comminication whether you intended it r not.

And yea what do you do for a living?

Offline _Schadenfreude_

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
WTG Georgie!
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2004, 08:02:56 AM »
Originally posted by storch
The less of my money I send to Washington the more I like America.  President  Bush (43) is the Best thing that has happened to America since President Reagan.  What about that speech last night?  What a bunch of ninnies in the press huh?  My favorite was Mr. Gonyea from NPR.  what a pinhead,  we should not fund NPR and send me back my $.000001.  What a waste of taxpayer money.  So I agree with curly WTG President Bush.  I'm glad he got to keep an extra $31,000 of his hard earned money.  Thank you for the post curly.  I'm glad you are so supportive of our great President.  Tell me where I can send you a Bush/ Cheney bumper sticker.

Looking forward to future generations of the Bush family to ably serve my State and our Nation.  God bless President Bush, God Bless America.

problem with this place is you never know when people are expressing irony, sarcasm or honesty......

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
WTG Georgie!
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2004, 08:05:20 AM »
I made so much money last year it is obscene.  MORE  MORE!!!
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
WTG Georgie!
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2004, 08:14:14 AM »
Good lord no. I simply believe the tax cut behaved as advertised. I think it's obscene when we are spending approximately $1billion/day in Iraq, our national economy is foundering (once again), our national debt is accelerating and old Georgie is out there handing out tax cuts. And of course, he got his $31k share of the loot as well.

No offense, but read an economics book.  A basic one.  

When you do, you'll realize that what bush is doing is economically sound for reviving a bad economy.

You'll also realize that what Kerry wants to do will incite a depression worse then the great one.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
WTG Georgie!
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2004, 08:22:53 AM »
"No offense, but read an economics book. A basic one."

Why not share with him the title of the one you've studied from?

Share your expertise on how "trickle down" economics is a benefit and a successful story for anyone who's not already rich.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2004, 08:28:17 AM by Westy »

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
WTG Georgie!
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2004, 08:39:06 AM »
I have never been employed by a poor person.  least not since my pre teens and allowance..

No country ever taxed itself into prosperity or taxed itself out of debt.

We need to spend less...  that is the real solution.   Tax cuts are an excellent way to start.  

lazs

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
WTG Georgie!
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2004, 08:52:59 AM »
Originally posted by Westy
"No offense, but read an economics book. A basic one."

Why not share with him the title of the one you've studied from?

Share your expertise on how "trickle down" economics is a benefit and a successful story for anyone who's not already rich.

Not trying to get involved in any pissing contest, just a website thats interesting to read:

http://www.henrygeorge.org/bearings.htm (Under "Readings", right hand side)

One of the highlights:

"The best tax by which the public revenues can be raised is evidently that which will most closely conform to the following conditions:

1. That it bear as lightly as possible upon production so as least to check the increase of the general fund from which taxes must be paid and the community maintained.

2. That it be easily and cheaply collected, and fall as directly as may be upon the ultimate payers - so as to take from the people as little as possible in addition to what it yields the government.

3. That it be certain so as to give the least opportunity for tyranny or corruption on the part of officials, and the least temptation to law-breaking and evasion on the part of the taxpayers.

4. That it bear equally so as to give no citizen an advantage nor put any at a disadvantage as compared with others.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2004, 08:58:49 AM by Ripsnort »

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
WTG Georgie!
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2004, 08:58:14 AM »
Originally posted by AKcurly

Concerning economic growth, what is your metric?  Here's a simple one.  Take the value of your stock market investments around year 1999 and compare them to todays values.  I don't know about you, but someone swiped around 30% of mine. :)

curly

But your trying to blame the  Stock market on the president. Fact of the matter is and contrary to what people like to think is the president doesnt control the market OR the economy. He may institue policies to help try to influence it but thats more a matter of luck then an exact science.
Presidents get way too much credit for a good economyand way too much blame for a poor one.
the econmy is going ot do what the economy is going to due reguardless of who is in office
had the roles been reversed and bush been in office when Clinton was and vise versa the ecomomies during both administrations would still have gone exactly the way they did.

I remember before Clinton took office the economy was already starting to turn up and all the major economists were saying that "all Clinton had to do to help the economy was absolutely nothing."
 I  remember Greenspan being quoted as saying about the runaway economy "I'd like to stick a pin in this bubble"

I also remember well BEFORE the election the economy was already on a downswing before Bush was elected.

Now if your going ot say Clinton was responcable for the good economy you would also have to blame him for convincing people to buy $50 stock that was only really worth $10 which is in a sence what happened.And in the end something had to give.
And it finally did
Thing is every big upswing is always followed by a big downturn. Doesnt matter who is in office.
Mickey Mouse coulda been in office in the 90's and Bugs bunny now or vise versa. And the market, and the economy would still be exactly where it is now.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
WTG Georgie!
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2004, 08:58:39 AM »
I'l look at that Ripsnort and see what's there.    But I'd rather hear from the expert lasersailor184 himself too.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
WTG Georgie!
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2004, 09:00:32 AM »
The book is made by McConnel and Brue.  It's called "Macroeconomics."

Btw Lazs, government spending is the biggest way to affect the economy.  While it seems counter intuitive, you spend during a recession, and save during a peak.

Cutting off the spending now will slam the economy into a brick wall, quite possible recoiling it back into a recession.

Cutting off the spending **AND** increasing taxes will double the recoil.

Your budget might be balanced, but you are now pulling in a heck of a lot less revenue from Taxes and the like then you were before.  So you'd have to cut spending even more, and revenues would go down even further until you hit a point where it can't go down anymore (using balanced budge Fiscal policy).

Conversely (to the spending), if you spend during a peak, it will drive inflation to insane levels.  Like you could be paying double or even triple what things cost now if the spending during a peak gets out of hand.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2004, 09:02:36 AM by lasersailor184 »
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"