Author Topic: WTG Georgie!  (Read 5751 times)

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
WTG Georgie!
« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2004, 11:57:29 AM »
"And if the situation gets too taxing, a smart businessman like yoruself moves his operation to Mexico or India.."

Well Bush himself encourages this exact thing with the tax breaks under senate legislation S. 1637 (that lets U.S. companies defer tax payments on income earned abroad).   So not only would his profit margin increase by way of significantly lower manpower costs but he'd get relief from the gold, old US government to boot!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2004, 11:59:58 AM by Westy »

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
WTG Georgie!
« Reply #76 on: April 14, 2004, 12:06:14 PM »
Sending less money to the government won't make them spend less.  Cripes it's called debt.  The only difference is that they have to pay interest on the money they are spending.  And what does that mean long term?  Either higher taxes or the insolvency.  Geez Louise!

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
WTG Georgie!
« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2004, 12:10:12 PM »
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
WTG Georgie!
« Reply #78 on: April 14, 2004, 12:12:43 PM »
Originally posted by Ripsnort
Incidently, the stock market is taking profits (sell off) because of fears of inflation...inflation is a result of a booming economy, no? ;)

Dead on, Rip. The CPI EX FOOD AND ENERGY was much higher than anticipated this morning...fueling an inflation fear sell off of the equity markets. It is being debated now whether or not the federal reserve wil raise rates as early as this summer to curb inflation and avoid overheating the economy.

Rip's article is excellent. People, do yourself a favor and read it. It's worth educating yourself on this matter.

Everyday we hear the word "Inflation" but how many really know what it is?

In it's simplest, crudest definition, inflation is too many dollars chasing too few goods and services, producing more demand than supply and driving prices of those items higher.

Why do we have too much demand? There's too much money in people's and companies pockets, be they from mortgage rate savings, tax cuts, etc.

This is one reason the federal reserve raises rates to curb inflation.

Offline TheDudeDVant

• Gold Member
WTG Georgie!
« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2004, 12:35:49 PM »
Originally posted by Thrawn
Sending less money to the government won't make them spend less.  Cripes it's called debt.  The only difference is that they have to pay interest on the money they are spending.  And what does that mean long term?  Either higher taxes or the insolvency.  Geez Louise!

Exactly..   Hence spending is an excellent place to start rather than taxes...

dude

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
WTG Georgie!
« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2004, 12:38:37 PM »
So can we cut the National Endowment for the Arts first?

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
WTG Georgie!
« Reply #81 on: April 14, 2004, 12:39:59 PM »
Lazs, taxes have much less of an affect on the economy then Government spending does.

It does really seem counterintuitive, but trust me, this is how it works.  You spend now to stimulate the economy into higher levels.  (This is working).  Then when the economy reaches Full Employment or higher, you cut spending and save money.  

If you were to do what kerry wants, I'd be willing to bet on it that the economy will drop faster then a rock.  Sure, the government's budget will be balanced.  But no one will have any money and Inflation would really kick in.

Btw, it's just dumb to tax the people more who are spending the most amount of money in the economy.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline TheDudeDVant

• Gold Member
WTG Georgie!
« Reply #82 on: April 14, 2004, 12:40:26 PM »
Originally posted by muckmaw
So can we cut the National Endowment for the Arts first?

How about the missle defense program first?

dude

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
WTG Georgie!
« Reply #83 on: April 14, 2004, 01:23:27 PM »
Cut veterans benefits!!!

Oh wait. He's done that.

storch

WTG Georgie!
« Reply #84 on: April 14, 2004, 02:12:21 PM »
He sure did!!! right when I need to have my appendix removed also.  So what???

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
WTG Georgie!
« Reply #85 on: April 14, 2004, 02:50:28 PM »
"So what?"

So what?  I imagine there's not many veterans who would be so eager to "take a bullet"  for the "supreme" commander as you apparantly are.  Well done soldier.

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
WTG Georgie!
« Reply #86 on: April 14, 2004, 03:18:43 PM »
Curly,

You might want to pick up a book on economics some day.  When the economy sags it's best to drop interest rates and cut taxes to get the economy back in motion.  Spending more than income via debt to do so is considered advisable by most any economist since the more these 2 things are done the faster the economy recovers.  Once the economy is back to normal you let it run, as it starts to inflate you raise interest rates and taxes.  This serves to cool the economy off to lessen the impact of infaltion and can then be used to pay down national debt.

Originally posted by AKcurly
I'm still fuming about this.  You know, before Grun was born, I was a card carrying Republican.  You could count on fiscal responsibility.  It was a Republican credo -- Fiscal Responsibility.  Don't spend money you don't have.

Man, all of that went out the window with all republicans after and including Reagan.  Go figure.  Now, it's the democrats preaching fiscal responsibility.

A long time ago, Oklahoma had a liberal democratic senator who gained notoriety by wanting to give thousands of dollars to each American citizen.  This wasn't a tax break, rather it was a one-time gift.  Hell, this was before Vietnam and we could have easily afforded it.

But, the whole idea who so offensive to most Americans -- giving someone something for nothing -- it didn't go over well at all.

And now look at the sorry mess we're in.  We have a flock of clowns guiding our political ship who not only think it's great to give away money, but hell, let's give away money we don't even have!

I hope snow white puts crab lice in dopey's shorts. :(

curly

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
WTG Georgie!
« Reply #87 on: April 14, 2004, 03:18:50 PM »
Originally posted by muckmaw
And if the situation gets too taxing, a smart businessman like yoruself moves his operation to Mexico or India..

Does this help or hinder the economy?

I think we all know the answer.

Naa cant drink the water in either of those places.

I'd just stop hiring high paid americans and hire the Mexicans instead:aok
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
WTG Georgie!
« Reply #88 on: April 14, 2004, 04:00:24 PM »
Originally posted by TheDudeDVant
Wrong... You can have inflation in a declining economy..

In the long run inflation is determined by the growth rate of the money supply.. An increase in the quantity of money reduces the value of money by increasing the price level.
While there are many causes of inflation in the short-run, such as changes in the sales tax rate and/or changes in oil prices, over the long run inflation is a monetary phenomenon.

dude

Wrong?...WRONG???

Hey, I'm just repeating what they said (Profit taking due to inflation fears based on a good economy) on the Stock Market report this morning as I drove into work, but I'm sure you know more about it than a stock analyst ;) .

Oh and hey, read Mucks reply, he does this for a living :p

storch

WTG Georgie!
« Reply #89 on: April 14, 2004, 06:14:34 PM »
I make plenty of money and it is wrong of me to expect to amble up to the trough and eat for free.  They took care of my apendicitis and I repaid the VA for the services rendered.  Then went out and bought health insurance.  I don't feel like I'm entitled to anything because I served for 6 years 22 years ago.