Author Topic: Best TV  (Read 1506 times)

Offline Habu

• Silver Member
Best TV
« on: April 14, 2004, 07:20:54 PM »
What is the best TV to buy these days?  I am going to buy a new one and have fallen behind on the technology.

There are 50 to 60" screens that are quite impressive. I will probably get one in that size range.  What brand is the best and what type should I buy plasma LCD or the new digital light technology that uses the rotating mirror?

I want the best picture I can get and a set that will last 10 years at least.

Any opinions?

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Best TV
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2004, 07:38:06 PM »
Not sure about TV's but my next Home entertainment upgrade may include TIVO (I think thats what its called).  Amazing technology.  I'd like to hear some comments (other than what I've heard in the past) for any TIVO owners.

Habu, FWIW, I have an old Zenith in my bedroom going on 22 years old, with only 1 tube replaced since it was new.

Offline Habu

• Silver Member
Best TV
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2004, 07:55:00 PM »
I have a 30" Toshiba that is about 6 years old and something just went in it. I was going to get it fixed buy TV's have come a very long way in the past 3 years and now I want a big widescreen one in the bedroom to watch Direct TV on.

Now they have huge screens that don't show lines and can be viewed even from the sides. Big bright displays and amazing clarity.

Imagine Band of Brothers DVD on such a screen with a bowl of popcorn or the latest episode of the Sopranos.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Best TV
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2004, 08:02:42 PM »
I'm still waiting on my TV.

It's not an LCD, or Plasma, But it is 60" Widescreen and HDTV ready. I've heard that Plasma TV's require a "recharge" of some sort every couple years, Not sure if it's true though.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
Best TV
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2004, 08:22:48 PM »
I can see why we spend so much on defense, our technology advances so fast that it is outdated right after we buy it. I bought a 36" JVC a few years ago, it seems like it is 20 years old compared to what is out there. This is a good thread, I don't have a clue about the new televisions.
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline Ping

• Silver Member
Best TV
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2004, 08:25:34 PM »
Look into DLP technology. Very impressive picture and the sets are amazingly light.
I/JG2 Enemy Coast Ahead

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Best TV
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2004, 09:21:45 PM »
The DLP's systems from Samsung have problems with the 'rainbow' effect, so they are not a good choice.  The effect occurs when light hits the edge of the micromirrors in the chip and defracts.
It is pretty prevalent in the DLP sets I have seen.  I am sure it will get worked out though and has promise.

LCD is ok, but color and contrast are normally mutually exclusive and more often then not they are a bit washed out or just flat wring in the color representation.

The high end plasma sets have the best picture of any set, bar none.  But expect to pay over $15,000 for them still.  They are still not proven for longevity.  It is known that each year you can expect some of the pixels to die.

The rear projection sets are pretty good.  Much better than they used to be, but the best guns you can find are all 7 inch, which was fine for NTSC/PAL, but the guns are not going to hold up to the HD resolutions for long.  They really needed 9 inch.

Back to the old CRT.  Longevity, proven technology, inexpensive and pretty nice looking.
----
That is a general summation about the technology.  Who makes the best set is up for grabs and everyone will have an opinion.
For rear projection, I would lean towards Pioneer Elite.  
For CRT, all I have ever owned were Sony XBR2 sets.  I would not buy the regular Sony stuff, but I have never had a problem with any XBR2 set.
Consider this as well.  If you like DVD, and might be thinking about HD-DVD (which ever format wins), you might want to make sure your set has an HDMI connector on it, as it appears it could be the interface of choice for HD-DVD players (regardless of format).
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Best TV
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2004, 09:39:13 PM »
if you go "wide screen" ur dvd's look great but everything else is boxed or stretched to fit

if you go regular, your dvd's are letter boxed but everything else looks great

got a sony 32" HD KV32XBR450 about two years ago, wish I'd picked up the 36" but other than that it is great - have gotten used to the letter box when viewing "widescreen" format programming

if you watch much television, tivo is the way to go. threw two 120gig drives in mine and I can record more programming than i'll ever get around to watch :)
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Best TV
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2004, 09:58:15 PM »
Originally posted by Eagler
if you watch much television, tivo is the way to go. threw two 120gig drives in mine and I can record more programming than i'll ever get around to watch :)

I've been interested in Tivo since it came out, But I really don't watch that much TV, but it also seems, I always miss everything I really wanted too.

Tivo has its own Cable Provider right?

Or do you have to a Cable Provider+Tivo?

How do you upgrade a Tivo? Can you do it yourself?
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Best TV
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2004, 10:23:22 PM »
tivo has its own channel lineup service you subscribe to. I think the units are down to $150 now but then you pay the subscription service for the channel lineup. I htink that's $200 to $300 for a lifetime sub. the lineup tells tivo what is on what channel. It dials up the service, built in modem, and retrieves this info to keep itself up to date, and it does it very well.

You need both cable and tivo - not sure about sat service

yes, you can upgrade yourself - does void the warranty but many ppl do it - heck its just a computer

look here for advice/tips:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
Best TV
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2004, 11:29:34 PM »
TIVO rules... it has totally changed the way I watch TV.. Had mine since 2000 and I don't rent movies since there is always something on TIVO.  It's one of those things you get then ask yourself what the heck was I thinking before?  Lifetime subscription for the programing is necessary and costs 200 for lifetime these days.  Think its 12 bucks a month for the pay as your go plan.  It should be noted that Lifetime means lifetime of the Tivo, not yours... although TIVO often runs upgrade deals where you can transfer to your new box.

Plasma is great for picture but shop carefully..  they tend to burn in very fast and are not know for longevity so buy a long term warranty.

LCD is improving rapidly and will overtake plasma soon for quality and is much better for long term reliability.

Both Plasma and LCD's will continue to drop in price dramatically over the next few years.

I have a 65" HD as my main TV now and it serves me well.  Relatively cheap and the picture is much better than some of the older boxes.

You should decide on what format/size you want then do some serious research on what model you want.  It's expensive decision and the differences between models can be huge.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
Best TV
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2004, 11:51:34 PM »
I agree with Skuzzy. Get a big sony XBR direct view, still the best most proven picture IMO. The biggest size they offer is a 40 inch.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Best TV
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2004, 06:25:47 AM »
I have an RCA 65" HDTV Rear Projection and love it. It's hard to beat rear projection in the bang for the buck department. But Rear Projection sets are VERY big and take up a lot of space. You have to have a big room to put it in. Mine takes up a 3'x5'x6' space.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Goth

• Nickel Member
Best TV
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2004, 07:36:00 AM »
I  have a 55" Mitsubishi rear projection and love it. Basically when I researched my TV I found that Mitsu, Sony & Hitachi are basically the best ones to go with. Stay away from Toshiba and Panasonic in the big screen rear projection models.

Offline AdmRose

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/cmdrrose/index.html
Best TV
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2004, 08:04:51 AM »
Whatever you do, don't buy the Tau model from Panasonic. My dad got one and while the sound is kick prettythang the picture leaves much (MUCH) to be desired.