Author Topic: Anyone see the bombers flying around ?  (Read 331 times)

Offline kj714

• Silver Member
Anyone see the bombers flying around ?
« on: April 26, 2004, 12:10:28 PM »
I'm curious if anyone else who lives in SoCal, Orange County, might have seen the two WWII bombers that flew around all day Sat & Sun.

What was that all about?

For those of you not there, 2 bombers were flying around in the vicinity of John Wayne / El Toro ALL weekend. They kept making passes over my house about once very 1/2 hour. Both were 4 engined bombers, one had a twin tail and the big glass nose, the other looked like a B-26 maybe?  They were so low, it was fabulous. You could hear them coming from a long way away.

I was outside working on my boat all weekend, so it was a nice diversion from that. Wish I had the camera, but Duchess had it hidden from me.

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2004, 12:20:24 PM »
They are a B-17 and a B-24.  They travel around the couintry and sell rides.

Offline SunTracker

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2004, 02:06:41 PM »
I've been in both of them.

When I was in the B-24, the left waist gun had a broken handle.  They ever fix that?

Offline icemaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2004, 03:03:18 PM »
Didnt get to see the b24 but the 17 flew over my house about once an hour all weekend. Figured they were flying out of john wayne airport selling rides. wanter to go there but was too busy.
Army of Das Muppets     
Member DFC Furballers INC. If you cant piss with big dogs go run with the pack

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2004, 03:12:50 PM »
$400 for a ride or for $10 you can do the walk-thru tour, which is pretty cool.  I did the $10.

Offline 2stony

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2004, 03:13:08 PM »
Before the FAA banned it, I got to fly the B-17(Nine o' Nine)for about 15 minutes. My buddy filmed the whole thing. Needless to say, I had a "full on" woody and a smile that couldn't be slapped off of my face. The pilot(I was in the co-pilot's seat)even let me bring the 17 completely around in a 180 degree turn. Haven't never flown, I have nothing to compare it to, but it came around real easy.

:aok :aok