Author Topic: Moderate Arabs  (Read 1118 times)

Offline Thud

• Nickel Member
Re: Moderate Arabs
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2004, 07:43:38 AM »
Originally posted by Eagler
where?

hiding from the not-so "Moderate Arabs"?

definitely not critizing the actions of the not-so "Moderate Arabs"

there are probably fewer of them than some would like you to believe when it comes to following the latest interpretation of their faith...

I believe it is exactly the other way around, there are more moderate arabs (and muslims in general for that matter) than you'd like to believe. An illustration: In my country the vast majority of people is sustantially frightened of the Islam and integration and immigration are by far the most discussed issues in politics. No week goes by without some mosque being confronted with a book in their collection promoting violence against women, infidels or homosexuals, creating an image with the public that Muslims are intolerant, fanatic and extremist in their views and interpretations.

Yesterday the AIVD (Dutch Intelligence Agency) isued a report in which they warned for an unabated high risk of terrorism BUT:

also a steady decline in extremism in the views as held by muslims. Both the small number of extremist Imams and these moderating their tone contributed to this development.

Point: even though the idea that Muslims are predominantly quite extreme in their views is widespread, the reality is rather different.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Moderate Arabs
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2004, 08:38:21 AM »
jamuata..  if we ever "got into it" before over race or anything else... I gotta tell you... I don't recall.   Your ability to make yourself be remembered must be equal to you sense of humor.

I don't know that much about comedians and have no desire to be one but it seems that a lot of famous comedians made it big by infuriating sensitive people who weren't too bright so that the others in the audience could watch the reaction.   I don't think a lot of women ever got kaufmans worlds greatest wrestler of women bit for instance.

So long as some people are overly sensitive... other people will make fun of em.   Other People who are not real bright and at the same time mean spirited... Other people like... well... like me.

lazs

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
Moderate Arabs
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2004, 09:21:30 AM »
Originally posted by lada
well Lazs2 im not history guru, but some people around were complaining that where ever they went in past 3000 years, there streamed a lot of blood.

Yes Lada, you're right and before Israel became a nation, it was always their blood.  Not anymore though, they believe in retribution.

curly

Offline ravells

• Silver Member
Moderate Arabs
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2004, 09:22:20 AM »
Found a good simulation on how you turn moderate arabs into extreme ones...

http://www.newsgaming.com/games/index12.htm

Ravs

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Moderate Arabs
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2004, 09:22:55 AM »
Originally posted by Nashwan
The stated aim of the PLO and Yasser Arafat since 1988 has been a two state solution.
(ie Palestine and Israel)

Wether you believe them or not is another matter, but that's the stated aim.

And yet their National Charter which calls for the complete destruction of Israel remains unchanged in this before the United Nations. Why is that?

Thud, don't get me wrong, I think Pat Roberston has made some mistakes in some of his public statements but so far you have not backed up your claim. Please post just one speciifc quote from him to justify your remark.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Moderate Arabs
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2004, 09:40:47 AM »
Originally posted by Thud
I believe it is exactly the other way around, there are more moderate arabs (and muslims in general for that matter) than you'd like to believe. An illustration: In my country the vast majority of people is sustantially frightened of the Islam and integration and immigration are by far the most discussed issues in politics. No week goes by without some mosque being confronted with a book in their collection promoting violence against women, infidels or homosexuals, creating an image with the public that Muslims are intolerant, fanatic and extremist in their views and interpretations.

Yesterday the AIVD (Dutch Intelligence Agency) isued a report in which they warned for an unabated high risk of terrorism BUT:

also a steady decline in extremism in the views as held by muslims. Both the small number of extremist Imams and these moderating their tone contributed to this development.

Point: even though the idea that Muslims are predominantly quite extreme in their views is widespread, the reality is rather different.

glad to hear it is that way there Thud

I do think more moderate ones need to get on tv and faceplant the message to the nutbag ones
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline Thud

• Nickel Member
Moderate Arabs
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2004, 11:23:45 AM »
Originally posted by AKIron
Thud, don't get me wrong, I think Pat Roberston has made some mistakes in some of his public statements but so far you have not backed up your claim. Please post just one speciifc quote from him to justify your remark.

Very well:

"Bush and other world leaders have been careful not to characterize the current worldwide struggle against tyrants and terrorism as a religious or Western war against Islam. But Robertson said that giving up Biblical land for Israel would be giving Islam the victory over the God of the Bible".

Let's assume for arguments' sake that one would interpret this as the predominant opion in moderate America. From a war on terrorism which is relatively contained apart from some outbursts it would suddenly become a world wide religious struggle. I don't think that the implications of that need any more elaboration.

And another one to top it all off:

Robertson charged that political initiatives that promise peace will only "guarantee unending struggle and ultimate failure."

What kind of initiatives would remain I wonder...

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Moderate Arabs
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2004, 11:51:04 AM »
Very well:

"Bush and other world leaders have been careful not to characterize the current worldwide struggle against tyrants and terrorism as a religious or Western war against Islam. But Robertson said that giving up Biblical land for Israel would be giving Islam the victory over the God of the Bible".

Let's assume for arguments' sake that one would interpret this as the predominant opion in moderate America. From a war on terrorism which is relatively contained apart from some outbursts it would suddenly become a world wide religious struggle. I don't think that the implications of that need any more elaboration.

And another one to top it all off:

Robertson charged that political initiatives that promise peace will only "guarantee unending struggle and ultimate failure."

What kind of initiatives would remain I wonder...

You only listed one quote and that was only a partial quote with someone else's commentary. How about a full quote and not just what someone thought he meant?

storch

Moderate Arabs
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2004, 02:23:38 PM »
The thought crosses my mind (admittedly a short journey) why can Euros quote obscure American Political types at all??  I don't know who the current dutch poobah is and am totally disinterested in what he may say or opine on any subject.  Feel free to extrapolate that sentiment to all of Europe.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Moderate Arabs
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2004, 03:38:03 PM »
Thud was more or less equating Christian leaders with Islamic leaders. He threatened a quote that would make Robertson look as much the lunatic as the one this thread is about. He has, as of yet, failed to provide the goods. Still waiting Thud.

Offline Thud

• Nickel Member
Moderate Arabs
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2004, 04:29:48 PM »
Originally posted by AKIron
He has, as of yet, failed to provide the goods.

That is, rather obvious, entirely subjective. I for one categorize him similarly as the author of the first post article, even if presented just the quotes above. Anyways, going to sleep now, perhaps I'll find another interesting quote tomorrow.

Night.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Moderate Arabs
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2004, 05:07:29 PM »
That is, rather obvious, entirely subjective. I for one categorize him similarly as the author of the first post article, even if presented just the quotes above. Anyways, going to sleep now, perhaps I'll find another interesting quote tomorrow.

Night.

Take your time, I'll be waiting patiently.