Author Topic: My Complaint  (Read 892 times)

Offline twitchy

• Nickel Member
My Complaint
« on: April 30, 2004, 11:03:12 AM »
The complaint I made wasn't made because somebody got shot down and spouted a mild 'D**n You!!' or a "chit", it was a string of filth, the likes of which I think even the most vile of us would find offensive. I only took a screen shot of one comment of what was probably a good half hour of it. Yes we all have our moments, and even I have occasionally let slip a few, but I felt that the comments I saw on channel one that night were WAY over the top. As a squad leader, I have, at times, taken somewhat of a responsibilty for my squad members, and have told several of them, 'hey that was a little much' or "you shouldn't say that on local channel" and that is usually all it takes. BUt even after myself and several people asked this guy to stop, it continued, worsened, and became a personal affront ("screw your kids").
No, I'm no angel, for god's sake I'm a Professional Actor if that tells you anything about my sense of morality, but I don't see that abusive and disgusting language of THAT magnitude should be uttered in any forum, game or otherwise where other people can see it, and especially when most of the people there are asking you to stop.  I can understand a D**n, or what have you in our more impassioned combative moments here but good lord have some respect, if not for other players, then for yourself.  :aok
As for your suggestions, yeah I could squelch channel one, and I could disable vox (my squad would love it probably :-)  ), I could unplug my computer and cancel my account with HTC, but then isn't that kinda like saying it's ok for you to talk that way to everybody else? If your going to use that sort of language on public channel, maybe you should look into getting into one of those yahoo chat rooms, they aren't hard to sign up with, and you don't have three or four hundred oter people who are paying 14.95 a month to play a decent game.
And as to when and how I let my children have access to this game, that gets plenty of cursing from my spouse, but i try to keep her off vox. :-)  but I don't like having to tell my son he can't play the game, and I don't like having to read about someone else's mother being a "  :eek:  " etc.
Sorry Skuzzy, I didn't mean to start another scandal, but I'm not usually one to complain unless I feel that I need to... Channel 1 is getting pretty rough though. The moderators we used to have were a good thing, but I know that isn't a popular opinion.. Is there someway perhaps to enhance the automatic text one? WE really should so something, however I don't want a witch hunt, or text hounds waiting to send screen shots of the slightest offenses either though... Maybe we could all try what is known, in the more conventional, even more disciplined factions of society, as Self Restraint.  ;)

Oink

"Never doubt that a small commited group of individuals can change the world, indeed it is the only thing that ever has..."
-Margaret Meade
Anthropologist
Founder & CO
Pigs on the Wing
Oinking Bases since 2000 AD

Offline BlkKnit

• Gold Member
My Complaint
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2004, 11:08:20 AM »
agreed!

Once a Knight is Never Enough

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
My Complaint
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2004, 11:11:47 AM »
i agree with you sir,  some people just dont know how to die with dignity. my only fear is, if they react like this in a game, howdo they have any friends at all in real life??   er......ah ha! just figured out why they are the way tey are in the first place.    lol:rolleyes:
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline twitchy

• Nickel Member
Oh yeah
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2004, 11:13:38 AM »
I drink, cuss, make lewd gestures and smoke at at home like a filthy sailor on a fifth of grog, and don't want to sound like Mr. Morality or anything, but it was a bit much...
Sniffle...
I love you guys...

-Twitchy
CO Pigs on the Wing Squadron

http://www.pigsonthewing.org
Founder & CO
Pigs on the Wing

Offline stratman

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
      • http://lawsquadron.com
My Complaint
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2004, 12:40:25 PM »
Well said Twitchy

LAWcobra CO/Lawsquadron

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
My Complaint
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2004, 01:50:12 PM »
Fast and easy fix.  You die, vox and chanel# privilages gone for 10 minutes.  That should be enough time for most people to calm down and it will also make them try harder to stay alive.  Could help with the suaside porkers also.

:D jk
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Silat

• Gold Member
Re: My Complaint
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2004, 02:14:52 PM »
Originally posted by twitchy
No, I'm no angel, for god's sake I'm a Professional Actor

See Twit in his movie debut as the hillbilly banjo player in Deliverance (1972). BBaw was his stand in. :):):)
http://www.destgulch.com/images/deliv01.jpg

:lol

Twit on a serious note I agree with you about the language lately. But I find that my "Teen" squelch button takes care of most of the problem :)
+Silat
"The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them." — Maya Angelou
"Conservatism offers no redress for the present, and makes no preparation for the future." B. Disraeli
"All that serves labor serves the nation. All that harms labor is treason."

Offline twitchy

• Nickel Member
Silat, you hoser
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2004, 05:58:14 PM »
If I wasn't married silat... :D

Actually, your not far off the mark...

http://www.inbredrednecks.com/     thats me, top left...
http://www.harrowbeauty.com/cast.html (Played 'Popy' in this one http://www.geocities.com/bonsaibeads/poppy1.JPG )
http://www.geocities.com/bonsaibeads/Image1.jpg
Founder & CO
Pigs on the Wing

Offline twitchy

• Nickel Member
I hate geocities
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2004, 05:59:58 PM »
:rolleyes:
Founder & CO
Pigs on the Wing

Offline wrongwayric

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
Nice whine LOL
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2004, 07:17:54 PM »
Wish my whining was that good! But you are absolutely correct! We adults in the game can get just as hotheaded as the younger guys and we have a very expressive vocabulary as well. I do not use vox myself as it annoys me and as we all know, if you have ever seen me try to fly, i do not need any distractions. LOL Think we just need a little more moderator attention to channel 1 or the other channels for that matter and one warning if they do not stop ya cut em off for the night. Give em 6 to 12 hours to cool down and if it becomes a repeat problem they can go somewhere else.:aok

Offline stratman

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
      • http://lawsquadron.com
My Complaint
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2004, 07:23:28 PM »
Frankly I fail to see the need for chl1

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
My Complaint
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2004, 07:23:49 PM »
Yeah, I usually spout my mouth off after being ganged by 20 Rooks all in la7's (Except for one hurricane).

I have a short temper and stuff like this pisses me off to no end.

So this is a pre-emptive Apology if I curse at anyone.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline FBRaptor

• Copper Member
      • http://www.freebirdshome.us
My Complaint
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2004, 02:10:19 AM »
Well as you can see I do not post very often however feel the need to support my friend twitchy on this one. The verbal abuse from "Certain" people on ch one is completely out of hand sometimes. The auto text catcher probably only catches people that mispell something and didnt mean to curse because everyone who wants to, knows how to get around it. It isnt the actual curse words that are unreasonable. Heck we hear those every day on TV and radio. It is the complete lack of respect and detailed disgusting conversations that annoy people.

fug you, blo me, I just slept with your mom, eat chit, radish, (which the auto text allows through) and similiar others are unnacceptable. And it gets much worse at times.

There really is a simple answer to this problem. Get some moderators that fly every night or at  least almost every night. Get people with a level head who want to do it to help, not just for the power. There is no other solutution and there is no simpler solution.

Before someone says "its hard to find enough moderators to do this cause they arn't paid", let me say.........
I volounteered to try and help out by being a mod and said I would try it out and if it did not interfere too much with my fun would continue to help by being a volounteer. I recieved a response from skuzzy saying that Hitech makes those decisions and he would pass it on. Well guess what...I never heard anything again from anyone. No thanks, but no thanks, no nothing. And ch 1 continues to go un-moderated most of the time.  

I was told later by a few individuals that the only people doing moderating are friends of Hitechs and skuzzy. I do not know if this is true and do not claim to know if it is or not.

All I know is that ch 1 DOES need more moderating "not by big headed text nazis" but by level headed grown ups who are willing to "Volounteer" their time to help our community be fit for all ages to play and be fit for our kids too watch us play.

If you want to see it change, volounteer to help!!!!
Maybe they will like you better :0). I have already tried and was basicly ignored. There is no other solution!!! Volounteer now!!!!!!

Wow that got wordy lol, sorry. FBRaptor

:D
« Last Edit: May 01, 2004, 02:21:28 AM by FBRaptor »

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
My Complaint
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2004, 05:45:11 AM »
We had a player who I can't remember, about 2 years ago, and he would send private messages to ya.  At least on channel 1, if he said what he did, everyone woulda known.  He did it to BigMax one time (Assassins), and all that came up on channel 1 was,  "(player ID), you got a problem with me?"  

That guy shut up fast...didn't have the guts to put it on channel 1.  What he said to me earlier when I shot him down was pretty bad...maggot, mother fxxxxx, *****, etc.

I challenged him to a (virtual) duel...and lost.  But after that he wasn't so bad.  He never messed with me again, because I was serious about what he said, and told him what he was saying was out of line and just plain wrong.

It offended me to where I was pissed off about it.  That was the only time I've taken what someone said personally in this game.

Les