Author Topic: Why the Ostwind?  (Read 328 times)

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Why the Ostwind?
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2000, 11:01:00 AM »
I've myself lost turret sometimes to somewhat tiny shots which went all over by the enemy from far far off..
perhaps ping or two heard and turret dead as well as the enemy.
then theres been times when turret has kept alive through few passes.

Same thing has happend to me against ostwinds..
Sometimes I get turret no problem or whole thing blows up with rockets, but sometimes I get multiple direct hits with rockets and strafe for a bonus, but Ostwind *still* keeps firing.. although, without tracks.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
Why the Ostwind?
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2000, 01:43:00 PM »
The only issue I have with the Ostwind is its ability to withstand hits to the turret (or in the turret).

Otherwise I have NO problems with it.  With the current terrain its about as close to perfect as it can get.
Hey, I didn't mention its incredible lethality against buildings...  WHY? well with the current map, an Osty rarely gets close enough +)

SKurj

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
Why the Ostwind?
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2000, 02:47:00 PM »
Ah but the 20mm Flak 38 has almost the same range as the 37mm on the Ostwind.

I think HTC new exactly what they were doing, the Whirlwind would of probably been much worse.

You figure 4 cannons with a tremendous volume of fire with only several hundred yards in difference in the effective range between the single cannon on the Ostwind...ouch.

Still not quite as deadly as the Ostwind is to ground targets in the present form...you'd see many more one-winged fish-floppin planes by throwin that much lead in the air.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
Why the Ostwind?
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2000, 09:02:00 AM »
The whirlwind would be useless against ground vehicles with those LW cannon..., and possibly not much better vz buildings..

SKurj

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
Why the Ostwind?
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2000, 09:39:00 AM »
Skurj, the Flak 38 (or is it 36?) is a different gun, with different characteristics than either the MG/FF or the MG151/20.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
Why the Ostwind?
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2000, 02:21:00 PM »

Originally posted by Vermillion:
Skurj, the Flak 38 (or is it 36?) is a different gun, with different characteristics than either the MG/FF or the MG151/20.

The only thing simular about the Flak 20mm and the aircraft cannons is the round diameter alone.

I think the Germans had at least a dozen versions and sub versions of the long barreled 20mm AAA guns, depending on mount.
I'll check that tho, I believe the 36 was the earlier single mount (or quads, I dunno)