Author Topic: Why the Ostwind?  (Read 329 times)

UncleBuck

Why the Ostwind?
« on: November 14, 2000, 12:43:00 PM »

I have seen many posts refering to the Ostwind and the aspects it brings to the game.  I have a question, why was it chosen over the other Flak vehicles the Germans had to offer?  I ask since only 43 of these were ever made.  the germans had a Halftrack with a 37 mm Flak gun as well as quad 20 mm guns.  What made these an inferior choice compared to the Ostwind?  How ineffective is the M-16?  I would think the quad 50's would be effective.

UncleBuck

funked

Why the Ostwind?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2000, 12:49:00 PM »
They made the Ostwind because they had a Panzer IV chassis already.

Offline Rifle

• Zinc Member
Why the Ostwind?
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2000, 12:56:00 PM »
And the quad 20mm FlaKVirling used what chassis ?

Cheers,
    Rifle

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Why the Ostwind?
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2000, 01:00:00 PM »

Originally posted by Rifle:
And the quad 20mm FlaKVirling used what chassis ?

Cheers,
    Rifle

And if that  were modeled instead, the whining would be much louder...thus, the Ostwind.

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Why the Ostwind?
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2000, 01:06:00 PM »
 Same question, different day:
 http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/Smileys/default/Forum1/HTML/006093.html

Why? Because Pyro & HTC wanted it. Build a sim and you can model whatever you want to.  And who said it had to be a German vehicle anyway?  Too bad they didn't give us the M-19  

-Westy

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Why the Ostwind?
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2000, 02:09:00 PM »
allies have good excuses when they refer to numbers made  

What if germans would had factories runnin well?
There would be more everything..

well.. numbers shouldn't be an issue with later war things if we're doing our own wars and not trying to do any historical scenarios where germans would be forced to lose time after time no matter what.

well.. what would be fun with having totally authentic scenarios? it'd be quite impossible to have everyone have exact amount of kills and deaths  

so, let's stick to hypothetical, when germans could had factories runnin better.

Maybe we'll get runnin campaign sometime where availability of planes changes by success.
Then it would be a must to put in planes that were made in less numbers due to poor conditions.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Why the Ostwind?
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2000, 02:53:00 PM »
If numbers aren't an issue, then neither is combat.  Its the same thing from the other side.

To be fair numbers and combat should either both be counted, or neither should be counted.  There are pros and cons to each solution.

Sisu
-Karnak
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

UncleBuck

Why the Ostwind?
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2000, 02:58:00 PM »
If I ever build a Sim, it would be greatr since it would be so far in the future we would all have real cockpits and would all need Pentium 80 500 GigHz PC's.  I was just wondering, if there was a reason behind the choice.  I have nothing against it just trying to have a discussion.

UncleBuck

funked

Why the Ostwind?
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2000, 04:48:00 PM »
BTW Buck the quad fifties are very effective.  I can light up bandits out to 1500 yards.  And parts fall off.  If you get one in close you can absolutely shred him.  The problem is that the halftrack is vulnerable to all calibers of enemy fire.

Offline Mattibaby80

• Zinc Member
Why the Ostwind?
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2000, 05:22:00 PM »
I for one would like to see the Wirbelwind (Whirlwind, dont know if i spelled it correctly) instead of the ostwind.  For one thing, you cant take out hangers and other major ground targets with 4 20mm cannons.  Second, because these vehicles cant be used in the offensive way (like they are now, nowhere near the true historical use) they will be regulated to protecting tank and halftrack columns like they should be doing.

Just my opinion.....

------------------
Meine Schwester hat keine kartoffel salat?  Du bist eine lustige Buba!!!

Offline sling322

• Gold Member
Why the Ostwind?
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2000, 06:10:00 PM »
I dont know....some people might find it offensive if you shoot them down  

<ducks and runs out of the room>

Offline CavemanJ

• Silver Member
Why the Ostwind?
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2000, 08:57:00 PM »

Originally posted by funked:
BTW Buck the quad fifties are very effective.  I can light up bandits out to 1500 yards.  And parts fall off.  If you get one in close you can absolutely shred him.  The problem is that the halftrack is vulnerable to all calibers of enemy fire.

The ostwind should be also.  I've had ostwinds survive multiple strafing passes when I was flying a -1C, all high angle passes (low angle on an ostwind is SUICIDE, high angle isn't much better   )  Even the .303s and 7.9s on the spitV, 202s, and early 109s should be enough to knock out the osty's turret since it's open top.  And people ain't bullet proof  

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Why the Ostwind?
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2000, 01:39:00 AM »
1K bomb is ok for those bug ...
Provided that you don't fly like me (I've a nasty tendance to drop the plane not the bomb  )

funked

Why the Ostwind?
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2000, 02:34:00 AM »
I agree Cave.  The damage model doesn't seem to be sophisticated enough to handle that.  You can drive your Panzer right up to an Ostwind or M3 and spray MG fire down into the crew area and nothing happens.  In real life there would be nothing left in there but hamburger.

[This message has been edited by funked (edited 11-15-2000).]

Hans

Why the Ostwind?
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2000, 02:55:00 AM »
I think they did the Ostwind because;

• It used the Panzer IV chasis, so that keeps the "flight model" and graphics to a minimum.
  • It was slower than the M-16.
  • It is stronger than the M-16.
  • Being slower and stronger than the M-16 should mean its not better, and both would have uses.

Unfortunatly, I think HiTech and Pyro misjudged how good the Ostwind would be.  Especially against ground targets where it can rip a base to shreds in no time.

I beleave somebody said that HiTech/Pyro said they're going to do something to fix it.

Myself, I would edit the Ostwind and make it a Wirbelwind.  The Ostwind's 37mm gun is just too long ranged.

Hans.