Author Topic: Prisoner Abuse  (Read 6455 times)

Offline StabbyTheIcePic

• Nickel Member
Prisoner Abuse
« Reply #90 on: May 07, 2004, 11:35:56 AM »
Originally posted by ravells
If this was common practice and known about by the US Army then that is shocking indeed and the people at the top will have to take responsibility for it.

Ravs

Red Cross has been warning us about it for a while now.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20040507/ts_nm/iraq_abuse_redcross_dc_1

And now rumsfeld said he had prior information about it, but withheld it from congress.

Offline ravells

• Silver Member
Prisoner Abuse
« Reply #91 on: May 07, 2004, 11:40:26 AM »
So George Bush's apology was not because it was happening, but because they were caught?

Ravs

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Prisoner Abuse
« Reply #92 on: May 07, 2004, 11:54:33 AM »
"So George Bush's apology was .... "

Damage control.  Not that it will do much but he had no choice left really.  IMO he should have apologized for what had transpired not to King Abdullah from Jordan but to the Iraqi people and the day before during his interview on Arabic tv.

Offline Duedel

• Silver Member
Prisoner Abuse
« Reply #93 on: May 07, 2004, 05:14:34 PM »
Originally posted by ravells
So George Bush's apology was not because it was happening, but because they were caught?

Ravs

Clap, clap, clap, seams u got it!

Offline wulfie-away

• Zinc Member
Prisoner Abuse
« Reply #94 on: May 07, 2004, 05:29:31 PM »
Originally posted by capt. apathy
good point SaburoS,

was it Will Rogers who said "when you give a person a lesson in meanness, don't be suprised when they learn it." ?

or something to that effect, it seems to apply here.

It would be fairly difficult to give anyone raised in Arabic culture a 'lesson in meanness'.

Mike/wulfie

Offline wulfie-away

• Zinc Member
Prisoner Abuse
« Reply #95 on: May 07, 2004, 06:44:32 PM »
Originally posted by GScholz
Examples need to be made ... and I'm not talking about Leavenworth.

Make them read the AH BBS OT forums every day for a year and reply to every thread with perfect grammar?

Put them in the field during Norwegian military field exercises (using live ammunition) with big yellow and red suits that say "I am a simulated MG3 target! MG3 gunners hit me for 30 days leave in Hawaii!"?

Make them eat lutfisk?

Option #2 is probably the most humane. :)

Mike/wulfie

Offline txmx

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Prisoner Abuse
« Reply #96 on: May 07, 2004, 07:05:32 PM »
Originally posted by StabbyTheIcePic
It is THEIR job.(sorry for being a grammar nazi). I will judge them for their actions. I pay their salarys, as do millions of other americans. When they stoop to the level of the enemy they become no better. They are scum, and anyone who defends them is an idiot with pinko colored glasses on.

Being as you were never in the military You wont understand that these people have officers in charge of them.
I find it hard to believe that the officers did not know what was going on in the prison.

Crap rolls down hill and at the bottom of the hill Is where you will find the inlisted man or woman.

In this case very young people who are in the thick of it ! They see there buddys getting shot and killed everyday because again they are there.

So It Is easy for us to set here in our nice little houses and judge these young people who have been thrust into a very different world than any of us can imagine.

Now dont get me wrong they acted unprofessional but you can not compare with what they did to the killing in Fallujah with the four contractors being hung and so forth.

Also we do not know who these "prisoners" are.
Are they just regular old POW's?
Or are they some of the people responsable for the four deaths in Fallujah?

Again I can ony imagine how ones perspective of the enemy might change when one is actually there fighting them(no love lost i would think).

Aslo remember the old saying dont believe everything you read and only half of what you see.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2004, 07:07:35 PM by txmx »

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
Prisoner Abuse
« Reply #97 on: May 07, 2004, 07:40:49 PM »
Yeah, and it's gonna get worse  http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=564&ncid=564&e=3&u=/nm/20040507/ts_nm/iraq_abuse_video_dc_1

At least he didn't pass the buck, he took responsibilty, but couldn't answer an important question.

"Rumsfeld sought to have military brass accompanying him answer the question, but McCain said, "Secretary Rumsfeld, in all due respect, you've got to answer this question. ... This is a pretty simple, straightforward question. Who was in charge of the interrogations?"The defense secretary didn't have a direct answer, although he noted "that the guards are trained to guard people" and not to serve as interrogators. There have been allegations that military intelligence officers urged prison guards to "soften up" the prisoners.

"McCain said later that it "would be premature" to call for Rumsfeld's removal. But, McCain added, "I still need to know who was in charge of the guards who committed these obscene acts."
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
Prisoner Abuse
« Reply #98 on: May 07, 2004, 08:02:40 PM »
take them out and shoot them.

Eh? You drunk tonite or what?

Your a bit over the top on this one...
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
Prisoner Abuse
« Reply #99 on: May 07, 2004, 08:03:38 PM »
Court-martial the soldiers. If found guilty, even of just humiliating prisoners, take them out and shoot them. Court-martial their officers. If found guilty of "looking the other way" or not being able to control their troops, take them out and shoot them.

I agree the punishment needs to swift and harsh, I respectfully disagree w/ the death sentences though.

Exception: there are several deaths of Iraqi prisoners being investigated.  Any of those that turn out to be homicide should have their perpetrators summarily shot, on national television.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
Prisoner Abuse
« Reply #100 on: May 07, 2004, 08:06:08 PM »
Exception: there are several deaths of Iraqi prisoners being investigated. Any of those that turn out to be homicide should have their perpetrators summarily shot

I can agree with this. But why shot? Electric chair maybe?
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
Prisoner Abuse
« Reply #101 on: May 07, 2004, 08:09:00 PM »
I thought  shot because I assumed this was the military's way of executing people.  If I am incorrect, please forgive my ignorance of this matter.

I think electrocution would be nice and dramatic.   It is fact that public execution is the most effective crime deterrent around.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline txmx

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Prisoner Abuse
« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2004, 08:28:37 PM »
Originally posted by Steve
I thought  shot because I assumed this was the military's way of executing people.  If I am incorrect, please forgive my ignorance of this matter.

I

The last American military execution was by hanging.

Offline txmx

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Prisoner Abuse
« Reply #103 on: May 07, 2004, 08:32:31 PM »
And I hardly doubt  That making prisoners
play twister neekid is worthy of killing someone  over.

The military will find them a nice room at FT Levonworth Kansas and it aint no country club from what I hear.

Offline txmx

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Prisoner Abuse
« Reply #104 on: May 07, 2004, 08:39:16 PM »
Originally posted by GScholz
But is it an effective deterrent considering that these soldiers are in Iraq where they are being killed or wounded by the thousands. Leavenworth may be preferable to some.

Perhapes.
My stand Is we should have never sent our young men and women over there in the first place.
Like I have said before 5.000.00 Iraqi's
are not worth one single American life.

It Is there country and as long as they where bnot envading someone else or saddumb was not pointing missles at someone we should have stayed out of there.
Just my opinion.

Now Osama Bin Laden theres another story all together.

We should be on that guy like an Alabama tick.