Author Topic: the thrill is gone  (Read 1326 times)

Offline g00b

• Nickel Member
In other words...
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2004, 05:13:23 PM »
It's all about the K/T ratio :D

Seriously...

If I (and I assume many of you) am not involved in as least one fight every 5-10 minutes it's becomes boring. I usually keep my K/T up around 12-13 which is better than 1 kill per 5 minutes of flying time! My best tour I had a 15.696!

I've burned out a number of times, as I've played since beta. Just keep paying your subscription and when you come back there will be new cool features for you to play with. In this case AHII.

And remember, always take females and friends over a game.

g00b

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
the thrill is gone
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2004, 07:24:26 PM »
The vast majority of guys I used to fly with over the hill that have moved on to something else were "historical" guys, events etc.

I was in a squad where I was usually the only one flying in the Main. I agree completely with lazs. There is NOTHING better than a good furball. It's always a challenge and I can ALWAYS do better. ( with the new stick setup I can DEFINATELY do better and if I don't pretty soon...the dogs dead )

The pilots that I knew, and am seeing in this game now, that long for something more than a damn good fight fade away.

Out of the 36 pilots in JG 2 'Richthofen' in WB there are only TWO still flying.  Myself and Beaner on the other side.

The fight is what brought to me online sims, and the fight keeps me here. I don't need anything more than a damn good fight.

Tho PT boats are a blast on occasion..
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
Re: the thrill is gone
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2004, 08:32:16 PM »
Originally posted by 68DevilM
just wondering at what point do you quit playing ah. because your bored with the same old same old.

like the game still but lately ive been in a slump, and the fun has seem to have left, mabey i need a break.

what do you venterens think, ever get tired of playing and  want to quit, what makes you stick around?:o

It's a cycle...Alot of us have been flying these games for ten years or more, learning to balance the fun factor is half the game now. Anything in excess is not a good thing. Taking a break from time to time is always healthy. I also make sure to have another game, very dissimiliar to Aces High to play, such as Civilization III, or a good first person shooter.  You'll know to take a break when Aces High starts feeling like a second job (or a first job if you're a Bishop ). If you start feeling like that, just take a week or two off, or play lightly flying in a style totally different than your usual using different aircraft.

Zazen
« Last Edit: May 07, 2004, 10:28:48 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
the thrill is gone
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2004, 10:58:16 PM »
I think quite a few people fly less when the weather starts getting nicer out also..then get back into it later on in the year..

Not a big deal, you can always come back if you want to. Keep it fun.
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline Lazerus

• Gold Member
the thrill is gone
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2004, 03:04:48 AM »
Originally posted by nopoop

Out of the 36 pilots in JG 2 'Richthofen' in WB there are only TWO still flying.  Myself and Beaner on the other side.

Come back to the dark side brother:D

Find a squadron of like minded pilots.
People that you get to know, share your life with, etc.

A good squad is a lot like a good marriage.

The sum is more than the whole of its parts.

This is what really got me hooked on this game. It was my first online game on my first computer, and I ran into a few great guys from the far corners of the world(from where I am). I evolved from my first squad to this one, and met another group of guys that I would do anything I could for. I somehow managed to get the CO position of a longtime flightsim community squad, after my friends suffered the burnout that so many seem to go through.

I have been lucky in the sense that a few guys have stuck with me, a few great guys that I sometimes spend more time talking to on vox, than I do flying in a night. This has made me stick with the squadron that I was handed.

I have an intimate realtionship with Aces High. It has caused arguments with me and my wife(I guess I'm alone in that one:p). It has enabled me to refocus my life by giving me an outlet at a time when I needed a distraction from what I was doing. It has given me a common ground with my father (who I got hooked on the game, but flies H2H) that supercedes even cars. (Turns out the old man is pretty good in H2H:D ) It has also givin me a impetus(sp?) for exploring the history of a time when many members of my family were in service of my country and contributed to what we currently as Americans have.

I've never really thought about what this 'game' has done for me, but I think that overall (addiction aside:D ), I am better off with it than I would be without it.

wore my damn keyboard out:D

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
the thrill is gone
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2004, 03:17:46 AM »
Originally posted by Lazerus
Come back to the dark side brother:D

This is what really got me hooked on this game. It was my first online game on my first computer, and I ran into a few great guys from the far corners of the world(from where I am). I evolved from my first squad to this one, and met another group of guys that I would do anything I could for. I somehow managed to get the CO position of a longtime flightsim community squad, after my friends suffered the burnout that so many seem to go through.

I have been lucky in the sense that a few guys have stuck with me, a few great guys that I sometimes spend more time talking to on vox, than I do flying in a night. This has made me stick with the squadron that I was handed.

I have an intimate realtionship with Aces High. It has caused arguments with me and my wife(I guess I'm alone in that one:p). It has enabled me to refocus my life by giving me an outlet at a time when I needed a distraction from what I was doing. It has given me a common ground with my father (who I got hooked on the game, but flies H2H) that supercedes even cars. (Turns out the old man is pretty good in H2H:D ) It has also givin me a impetus(sp?) for exploring the history of a time when many members of my family were in service of my country and contributed to what we currently as Americans have.

I've never really thought about what this 'game' has done for me, but I think that overall (addiction aside:D ), I am better off with it than I would be without it.

wore my damn keyboard out:D

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Lazerus

• Gold Member
the thrill is gone
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2004, 03:29:27 AM »
STFU moot, you dont qualify:p

When the F/ck ya comin back any ways? You're one of the ones I was talkin about, ya frnch flabberin, Arizona hippy:D

Offline 68DevilM

• Gold Member
im back
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2004, 04:08:01 AM »
ok found out what the problem was!

i was just playing too much literally, been playing since oct 2003 and at first it was just someting i did every once and a while but it soon became a addiction. really i would be on this damn comuter every chance i could and i burned myself out. so i took a couple days off and today was a little better, not to metion the map change helped out.

ps i think ht put something in this game to brainwash me into never quitiing.:eek:

Offline Lazerus

• Gold Member
Re: im back
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2004, 04:20:26 AM »
ps i think ht put something in this game to brainwash me into never quitiing.:eek:

I've often wondered that:eek:

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
the thrill is gone
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2004, 10:46:13 AM »
I have never really liked AH gameplay - especially on small maps where the front is squeezed into a relative handful of bases. (AKDesert is much better in that respect)

I felt I was wasting too much time, so my solution is simply to boycott maps I don't like. I'm not asking anyone to follow suit, but I can tell you it makes a big difference. Play only on the maps you enjoy, ignore the others, and you'll enjoy this game much more.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
the thrill is gone
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2004, 11:27:00 AM »
yep.. beet is on to something here.. I rarely fly the pizza sucks map but.. if there is a good fight I will log on and play it out till it is over and the map is one big blah of 25% fuel and long flights to nowhere to do nothing.   Even a small map can be boring if it is some kind of "missun dooodz" mindset day wher it is 25% fuel and no dar and all the glass cv's have been sunk by mouse weilding suicide doodz.

log off when there is no good fights.

lazs

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
Re: the thrill is gone
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2004, 10:19:27 AM »
just wondering at what point do you quit playing ah. because your bored with the same old same old.

like the game still but lately ive been in a slump, and the fun has seem to have left, mabey i need a break.

what do you venterens think, ever get tired of playing and  want to quit, what makes you stick around?:o

I had the same feeling mate, I have quit for about 2-3 months playing 1st person shooters etc. But after playing it for about 2 months, Aces High starts becoming pretty attractive again :)

Another good idea is to change the game play of aces high, Normally in h2h (where I play) you have ffa or team rooms, both becoming VERY bored.
What I did, I organize missions in h2h, varying from 4 vs 4 dogfighting at high alts (axis vs allies) with externals off, fuelburn to 1.5 and ask EVERYONE to disable ALL icons, so you can't see what plane everyone flies or at what distance they are. It's great fun cause it's hard to see who's friend or foe (only when chasing) and it's VERY realistic.

Also big bomber formations (4 pilots in B-17's with drones) in a tight formation vs a formation of fighter attackers without icons. Great fun!

Just stop by my room someday if you have time: Franks Coop Missions

Offline opus

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
the thrill is gone
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2004, 02:51:58 PM »
I think after a few months you gain some vacation time  - just take a break :)