Author Topic: AH Community missing the fun.  (Read 2320 times)

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
AH Community missing the fun.
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2004, 11:33:59 AM »
Yeah that was a blast last night.  When  I logged in I saw 19 other guys already online.  Was awsome.   to everyone, great fights.

It's like a mini CT with a lot better planes, a much better FM and some better graphics.

Skins kick prettythang - it is much cooler flying and seeing different skins.   and keep up the good work skinners!!!!

Can't wait till this goes live!

Offline TBolt A-10

• Silver Member
      • http://www.picturehangar.com
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2004, 12:08:43 PM »
Originally posted by dracon
It's when you look left at your wing or look at the ground building details.  

This is what bothers me about AH2...I run a decent box and - with the settings adjusted to increase playability - I STILL CAN'T SEE THE FREAKIN' BUILDINGS until I'm very close to them.  If I want to bomb (level or dive), I need to see the buildings a lot sooner than I can in AH2 right now.

It's annoying.

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2004, 12:11:05 PM »
Originally posted by beet1e
I'd go in there more, but outside US prime time, the arena is deserted. Still, I've just DLed Beta29, and will probably practise offline at least.
Last night it wasn't deserted, Beetle.  When I logged in for a while there were more players than I had ever seen before in there - 19 I think.  That's more than the CT usually has at a similar time.  :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2004, 02:14:24 PM »
Last 2 nights from approx 9pm UK there have been 15 and up players in AH2.

Lazs did you mean "UK guys (Beetle) like AH2... for the most part... if UK guys (Beetle) like something in AH.... I don't."

I hear you like a fight well your not the only one.
We agreed to fight between A4 and A5, close bases not much alt gained between them.

From memory Shane, Urchin, Manetmp, Hajo, Pyro albeit in buffs and several others, now if you still can't get a fight you like its not because the opportunity is not there.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2004, 03:50:25 PM »
well... if lev and slap say it is ok then that is a relief... much better than "it reminds me of the old pre 1.03 FM" or...  "it's great... you can't hit anything with the guns and the planes fall out of the sky if you try to turn..."

but... My puter is marginal and...even if it weren't... I'm lazy..If I had to change controls and mapping and such I probly still wouldn't go in there till I had absolutely no choice.

I take it you can't just log on and play with all the same controls and mapping you are using for AH.

lazs

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2004, 03:55:29 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
well... if lev and slap say it is ok then that is a relief... much better than "it reminds me of the old pre 1.03 FM" or...  "it's great... you can't hit anything with the guns and the planes fall out of the sky if you try to turn..."
[/B]

The flight model definitely does not remind me of anything approaching early AH1.  If anything, each revision seems to make it feel more like the current Aces High we know and love.  Plus the things that make gunnery marginally more difficult really are more bug fixes than anything; we shouldn't be able to see hit sprites beneath our field of view, and they correct for that.

but... My puter is marginal and...even if it weren't... I'm lazy..If I had to change controls and mapping and such I probly still wouldn't go in there till I had absolutely no choice.
[/B]

Just install AH2 and then copy over your Settings folder from AH1.  That will transfer all of your stick setups, stick mappings, key mappings, graphics settings, etc.  You shouldn't have to set up any of that over again.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2004, 04:00:11 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2

I take it you can't just log on and play with all the same controls and mapping you are using for AH.

lazs

Man ... glad you came clean ...  I'm lazy.

For every release of Beta, I have downloaded and installed the FULL install over the top of the last FULL install.

It installs itself into \Aces High II directory so there is no conflict with AH I.

I then copy my \sights \settings and \sounds folders from AH I directly into the new AH II install. Everything that I have setup in AH I is directly imported into AH II and I have yet to have any problems with this proceedure.

Your computer may be marginal ... key word "may" ... you won't really know until you get up off your bellybutton and TRY IT !!!

Oh .. about the FM ... everytime Toad flies in AH II he is astounded by the flight model. He can't stop saying how "real" the planes feel. I take his word for it. He would know far better than me ... thats for sure.

All in all, yes the FM is different, but not insurmountable and definately enjoyable.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2004, 04:05:47 PM by SlapShot »
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2004, 04:18:29 PM »
Now, Slap... don't exaggerate.

I said I think it is much improved and much better than AH1. I particularly like the "feel" at low speeds and low speeds/high AOA.

I personally think the FM improvements are the star of the show for me. I like the new look and all but I like the new feel even better.

Gunnery? Dunno. I still shot out a P-38's left motor at 800 yards on my range-o-meter. Hit sprites are smaller, true but I don't think anyone is going to have that much trouble adapting their shooting from AH1 to AH2. As someone said, in a short while I think hit % will be about the same for most guys.

From last night, I'd say AH2 is just about ready for "prime time". I'm sure they will continue some updates and other outright improvments, but I think they could put this show on the road right in to the MA anytime now.

The one BIG question is.......  what about the gameplay? Is there a plan to change "strat"?

AH2 or not, I'd like to see us get away from the "join-my-huge- mission-steamroller-to-reset-golly-gee-we-WON-the-war-WooHoo-perkies-for-all" gameplay model.

Let's do some FIGHTING!  ;)
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2004, 04:30:42 PM »
Now, Slap... don't exaggerate.

Oh ... OK ... was just trying to get the lazy dog excited and see if he'll hunt.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2004, 05:01:02 PM »
Originally posted by Mr. Toad
The one BIG question is.......  what about the gameplay? Is there a plan to change "strat"?
No! So we'll still be able to have our gameplay pow-wows on the BBS. You surely don't want to give those up, do you? :D;)

I wonder if we'll still have the pizza map in AH2...

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2004, 05:03:55 PM »
I wonder if we'll still have the pizza map in AH2...

Dear God I hope not
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
AH2 from now on!
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2004, 06:41:34 PM »
It is good. I haven't seen anything I don't like about it. I was online tonight for about 45 mins. One interesting moment came when I was chasing Gixer's 205 in my F6F. I followed his zoom but as I wanted to fire, the sun made the canopy glare and I couldn't see Gixer's dot even at 400/200. (I assure you that canopy glare is realistic) I fired anyway, saw no sprites but got kill credit minutes later - was surprised. Later a Spit chased me but couldn't land a 600/400 spray shot (it just gets better!).

I was getting 160fps :eek: But the horizon was wavy, so someone said press Shift+F3. That fixed the problem. Frame rate dropped to about 90 though, but I notice that AH2 uses more of the available 128MB vid card memory - 57MB of it against only about 28MB in AH1. This is good - I've bought the resources for the game to use, not stand idle.

I typed "shift+F3 worked - tnx", and inadvertently dropped the F in "shift". :o I thought I was going to get squelched for 10 mins! :lol But the swear filter is not enabled it seems, and my message appeared in the TB unedited.

SOB was there! Was getting ready to dogfight him, dumped my DT and Doh! - accidentally cut my engine.

Ecke,SOB,Roscorro,Gixer et al.

Lazs! What CPU do you have and what video card? We'd love to see you in AH2. However, Rosc was getting CTD when flying near the CV - lots of rendering going on. Last time I had a CTD was when my CPU was being pushed too hard (inadvertent overclock). Rosc then said he doesn't have a problem with his newer system (AMD 2.2), so Lazs - we need to find out what you have in your box and maybe upgrade it. Or else you'll just have to pedal harder.

Online nopoop

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2004, 07:20:26 PM »
I had acceptable frame rates running a 1.2 AMD with 512 of ram. Old Nvidia GF2 pro card.

Was getting 41 in the tower. Tweak, recheck etc..
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline Roscoroo

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.roscoroo.com/
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2004, 07:56:11 PM »
Had a blast today .. Great Fights guys .

(yea i ctd in heavy ack , near cv's , or after dropping troops )
1.3 amd, gf 2 mx 400 , 54.xx det's, dx 9.0b, win 98se with sp1.5 on it . fixit utilities AV running .

I'll get my 2.2 ghz with the ti 4600 and try it tommorrow .

it could be my av program causing the ctd's also
Roscoroo ,
"Of course at Uncle Teds restaurant , you have the option to shoot them yourself"  Ted Nugent
(=Ghosts=Scenariroo's  Patch donation

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2004, 08:07:00 PM »
it could be my av program causing the ctd's also

Damnn, those av programs!

Er, we're talking about Adult Video progs, right? :D