Author Topic: AH Community missing the fun.  (Read 2321 times)

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
AH Community missing the fun.
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2004, 09:35:59 AM »
slap... I admitted I was lazy.   For some reason.. I don't want to work hard at a game on a puter.  If I wanted to work I woulda stayed at work and made some money on the deal.

I will wait till there is only the option of AH2 or there is no one left in AHI.. at that point I will probly try it.   If it won't run on my puter or is no fun then I will wait for the next sim or puter.

lazs

Offline jetb123

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2004, 10:11:39 AM »
man i hope AH2 will work on ym kind of sysetem:rolleyes:

Offline Lazer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2004, 10:47:53 AM »
Someone post a picture of that blood, I need to see it! :D

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2004, 11:23:20 AM »
Originally posted by Lazer
Someone post a picture of that blood, I need to see it! :D

Check out this thread ...

http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=116312
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Lazer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2004, 11:25:45 AM »
Cool looking.. thanks slap! :D

Offline Icer

• Nickel Member
Re: AH2 from now on!
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2004, 12:18:01 PM »
Originally posted by beet1e
I was getting 160fps :eek: But the horizon was wavy, so someone said press Shift+F3. That fixed the problem. Frame rate dropped to about 90 though, but I notice that AH2 uses more of the available 128MB vid card memory - 57MB of it against only about 28MB in AH1. This is good - I've bought the resources for the game to use, not stand idle.

Beetle -

I'm curious about your video settings as memory usage is double for me. Slapshot and I, having essentially the exact same systems, compare our "CTRL-I" readouts in AH2 each time a new beta arrives or we make a video change (drivers, FSAA, tweaks, etc) on our ATI 128 meg cards. What we see is approx. 120MB of video memory in use, sometimes around 116 but usually closer to 120. Framerates seem to stay averaging around 75-80, maxing out at 100 because we keep VSync ON to avoid the graphical issues that arise from lack of sync. We run in 1280x1024 32 bit, and use 6X FSAA and 16X Anistropic Filtering, which are the maximum settings for our cards.

Our specs read:

PIV 3gz (800mz FSB)
1 GB PC3200
2 - 120GB 7200 RPM - RAID 0
Sapphire ATI 9500 (non-pro) Softmodded to 9700
Omega's latest drivers (4.4 until 4.5 Omega's arrive, ATI Cats out now)
Viesonic 22" P225fb Monitor
CH USB HOTAS

Thanks!
Win11 Pro 23H2/ Asus Z790-PLUS D4, / i9-13900KF @5.8Gz, 64GB DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce 4090 - 546.33 drivers/ 3 Samsung 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / TIR 5/ TM Warthog HOTAS w/VirPil stick base/ MFG V3 Pedals/ TM MFDs on 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP/ Varjo Aero VR

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: Re: AH2 from now on!
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2004, 03:17:53 AM »
Originally posted by Icer
Beetle -

I'm curious about your video settings as memory usage is double for me. Slapshot and I, having essentially the exact same systems, compare our "CTRL-I" readouts in AH2 each time a new beta arrives or we make a video change (drivers, FSAA, tweaks, etc) on our ATI 128 meg cards. What we see is approx. 120MB of video memory in use, sometimes around 116 but usually closer to 120. Framerates seem to stay averaging around 75-80, maxing out at 100 because we keep VSync ON to avoid the graphical issues that arise from lack of sync. We run in 1280x1024 32 bit, and use 6X FSAA and 16X Anistropic Filtering, which are the maximum settings for our cards.

Our specs read:

PIV 3gz (800mz FSB)
1 GB PC3200
2 - 120GB 7200 RPM - RAID 0
Sapphire ATI 9500 (non-pro) Softmodded to 9700
Omega's latest drivers (4.4 until 4.5 Omega's arrive, ATI Cats out now)
Viesonic 22" P225fb Monitor
CH USB HOTAS

Thanks!

Icer,

I've just done some more tests. These were offline, as my program (Beta29) is out of date as of this morning and I won't have time to update till later.

In an F6F climbing out from a base with only sky and sea visible, the frame rate was 164. Turning back to face the drones, with ack smoke and bullet rendering going on, the fps dropped to 75. I continued past the field so that the view was half land (no objects) and half sea. Fps went back up to 147.

I'm running AH2 at the same resolution as you are.

I've checked my Vsync setting (took a while to find it!) and its status is given as "always OFF". Can you tell me what changes I might see if this were set ON?

My monitor is a iiyama VM-Pro454 running at 85Hz. Some monitors don't have the refresh rate to support advanced hardware, which is why I upgraded the monitor.

My hardware: Asus A7N8X-DLX mobo, AMD XP2600 CPU, 512MB RAM, ATi Radeon 9600 etc. OS is W2000 Pro with SP4 and all subsequent updates applied.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Re: AH2 from now on!
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2004, 11:20:26 AM »
Icer,

I've just done some more tests. These were offline, as my program (Beta29) is out of date as of this morning and I won't have time to update till later.

In an F6F climbing out from a base with only sky and sea visible, the frame rate was 164. Turning back to face the drones, with ack smoke and bullet rendering going on, the fps dropped to 75. I continued past the field so that the view was half land (no objects) and half sea. Fps went back up to 147.

I'm running AH2 at the same resolution as you are.

I've checked my Vsync setting (took a while to find it!) and its status is given as "always OFF". Can you tell me what changes I might see if this were set ON?

My monitor is a iiyama VM-Pro454 running at 85Hz. Some monitors don't have the refresh rate to support advanced hardware, which is why I upgraded the monitor.

My hardware: Asus A7N8X-DLX mobo, AMD XP2600 CPU, 512MB RAM, ATi Radeon 9600 etc. OS is W2000 Pro with SP4 and all subsequent updates applied.

I'll jump in here in Icer's absence ... he is the expert but I will give it a go.

Here is what our settings page looks like ...

Notice the "Wait for VSync".

Yours is OFF and that is why you are getting those abnormally high framrates. This can cause problems, such as rubber bullets, tearing, etc. Then again, it might not. Kind of a gamble.

If you set it like we have, you will only get 85 fps at the max cause that is what your refresh rate on the monitor is set at. 85 FPS is a very liveable framerate.

Our monitors support 100Hz so that is why we get 100 FPS and never anymore than that. If we set VSync OFF, I can get FPS in the 200+ range.

Our cards are ATI Sapphire 9500s softmodded to 9700s.

Also, we use the ATI drivers from http://www.omegacorner.com. These are offical ATI drivers tweaked especially for gaming. We have been using these drivers from day one and have never experienced any problems with them. They have, as far as we are concerned, been a godsend to our cards.

Just the other day we applied this tweak to our cards ...

http://www.elitebastards.com/page.php?pageid=4533&head=1&comments=1

This enables Temporal Anti-Aliasing on ATI cards (not all cards support it). It's a little known enhancement on some ATI cards that is normally turned off. It has made a significant difference on our computers. All lines are so much smoother. AH II looks fabulous with this turned on.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2004, 02:16:08 PM »
Slap - I've been out all day, just got in but going straight out again. Short of time, so...

... would those Omega drivers work with my ATi Radeon 9600?

Rubber bullets - was a big problem with WB, but not AH. I think it's more down to the connect. I get 150ms, so I'm OK. But I do know that my guns are better if flying on a T1 - like at a con or something. I'll wait to hear from you about the drivers, then I'll probably install 'em, turn ON Vsync, and then repeat the tests. That will probably be tomorrow evening.

Offline Icer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2004, 07:26:12 PM »
Slap - I've been out all day, just got in but going straight out again. Short of time, so...

... would those Omega drivers work with my ATi Radeon 9600?

Rubber bullets - was a big problem with WB, but not AH. I think it's more down to the connect. I get 150ms, so I'm OK. But I do know that my guns are better if flying on a T1 - like at a con or something. I'll wait to hear from you about the drivers, then I'll probably install 'em, turn ON Vsync, and then repeat the tests. That will probably be tomorrow evening.

I be back..

The answer is yes Beetle, the Omega drivers are modified ATI Cats so they are made for all ATI Radeons. Read the readme file, as you will need to uninstall the ATI Control Panel before installing the Omega's if I remember correctly. Once you run the Omega's then upgrading to next Omega version is just running the install.  As you can see from Slap's settings he has VSnyc at Applicvation Preference. I run with it "Always On" as I don't think any apps control it normally anyway. You will see you FR pegged at 85 FPS once you do this.

Give it a shot and let us know what you think.
Win11 Pro 23H2/ Asus Z790-PLUS D4, / i9-13900KF @5.8Gz, 64GB DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce 4090 - 546.33 drivers/ 3 Samsung 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / TIR 5/ TM Warthog HOTAS w/VirPil stick base/ MFG V3 Pedals/ TM MFDs on 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP/ Varjo Aero VR

Offline Xjazz

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2004, 02:20:39 AM »
I dont see any problems with AH2 Hurricane Mk1. Well, its still darn slow:D

About 70fps @ 1280*1024/16 with low detail level.

1.5MHz
512M RAM
GF4 4200 Ti 64M

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2004, 09:29:00 PM »
I find p51 in AH2 easier to fly than AH1...  more forgiving...  and the wing doesn't drop whenever it feels like it..

SKurj

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2004, 10:01:48 PM »
Originally posted by Icer
I be back..

The answer is yes Beetle, the Omega drivers are modified ATI Cats so they are made for all ATI Radeons. Read the readme file, as you will need to uninstall the ATI Control Panel before installing the Omega's if I remember correctly. Once you run the Omega's then upgrading to next Omega version is just running the install.  As you can see from Slap's settings he has VSnyc at Applicvation Preference. I run with it "Always On" as I don't think any apps control it normally anyway. You will see you FR pegged at 85 FPS once you do this.

Give it a shot and let us know what you think.
I've tried AH2 with the VSync setting "always ON". Yep, frame rate pegged at 75. I've since downloaded those Omega drivers, but it's an .EXE file not a .ZIP - where is the readme file? Do I have to run the .EXE? At what point does the readme file become available?

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2004, 11:26:37 PM »
Beetle.....make sure you not only uninstall the current drivers but

ALSO uninstall ATI Control panel before installing the New Omega

Drivers.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2004, 05:44:56 AM »
Originally posted by Hajo
Beetle.....make sure you not only uninstall the current drivers but

ALSO uninstall ATI Control panel before installing the New Omega

Drivers.
Hmmm... I thought the modern video driver packages did all that uninstallation for you. That was certainly the case with my ATi Radeon driver package when I put in the Rad-9600. I know that in years gone by you really had to do a fine toothcomb cleanup job - purging registry entries etc. But I thought those days were gone.

So you're saying I can't just install the Omega drivers over the top?