Author Topic: And another thing.....  (Read 131 times)

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
And another thing.....
« on: November 17, 2000, 09:57:00 AM »
Basically the C47 is used in this Sim for only dropping troops.  Why not enable it to carry, supplies, ammo or fuel so a base can be repaired while under attack.  The base status can be listed so that players know what the base needs to replenish.  This is not a new idea, other Sims have this capability.  The goon could carry whatever is selected in the hangar.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
And another thing.....
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2000, 10:09:00 AM »
There are  several older topics with this same idea.  I think it comes down to priorities, 1st priority today is implementing the Navy, then I'm sure a more complete planeset will follow, followed possibly by more refinements to what has already been implemented, and that  may include suggestions as yours and others.

6 people doing what they've done so far is quite remarkable, give them time, I think there will be a day where we have supply lines, trains, railways, roads, bridges, etc.

Incidently, the best suggestion for the C47 I've seen to date is using them in a roll of towing heavy  gliders, where a light tank or artillery could be towed, landed in enemy territory near a field, then used against that field.

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
And another thing.....
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2000, 03:36:00 PM »

Originally posted by Ripsnort:
There are  several older topics with this same idea.  I think it comes down to priorities, 1st priority today is implementing the Navy, then I'm sure a more complete planeset will follow, followed possibly by more refinements to what has already been implemented, and that  may include suggestions as yours and others.

6 people doing what they've done so far is quite remarkable, give them time, I think there will be a day where we have supply lines, trains, railways, roads, bridges, etc.

Incidently, the best suggestion for the C47 I've seen to date is using them in a roll of towing heavy  gliders, where a light tank or artillery could be towed, landed in enemy territory near a field, then used against that field.

Only thing WACO's ever carried were Jeeps, 37mm and sometimes 57mm guns.

There was a very large British glider that did carry a very light tank (looks kind of like a T-26)

Offline Mattibaby80

• Zinc Member
And another thing.....
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2000, 04:06:00 AM »
This is a little of the subject, but the Luftwaffe had a huge glide made by Messerschmitt, the Me-321 Gigant, and it was towed by 2 He-111's combined at the wing with a fifth engine at the joint.  I for one would like to see this someday.

"The Messerschmitt 321, the Gigant, was the largest glider ever used on operations. It had a 55 meter wing span, was 28.15 meters long and nearly 6 meters deep. It weighed 12 tons
         and could carry about 20 tons. Two-hundred troops could be accommodated in place of cargo. Loading was via a pair of hugh clamshell doors in the nose. The 321 was originally
         towed by three BF 110's fighters in concert, the "troika" tow. This was as inherently unstable and as dangerous as it sounded. Later the ZWILLING Heinkel was used, two he 111's
         joined by a center wing span and equipped with five engines. Over 200 321's were built. The majority were converted into Messerschmitt 323 transport planes by the addition of six
         French Gnone-Rhone radials. Crew for the transport version was five, compared to two for the glider, and payload was much reduced. Both the glider and transport were stable but
         heavy and sluggish. A flight of 323's was slaughtered by Allied fighters while trying to resupply Tunisia and another group was shot down over Bucharest during German attempts to gain
         control of the city. either under tow as a glider or in the self powered version, they needed an excessive length of runway. Later models employed rockets to assist takeoff."  

taken from www.feldgrau.com

------------------
Hehe, check this out, I can do a killer lawn dart impression!

Offline SC-GreyBeard

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.picknowl.com.au/homepages/oneshot/main.htm
And another thing.....
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2000, 10:57:00 AM »
hmm Jig, the waco's could and did carry the 75mm field howitzer.. (the little short-barreled job used by the airborne) along with ammo trailers, water trailers any thing else that could be towed by jeeps.

I'd like to see some sort of building capability for forward areas to refuel and rearm tanks...  no repairs or anthing, but say maybe 1 c47 with troops and 2 of supplys = 20 minutes later a limited v-base. (no spawn capability.  just rearm..

------------------
GreyBeard, Squadron Leader
Commander, "B" Flight, Aces High
Senior Staff Council
"The Skeleton Crew"
"Fly with Honor"[/i]
"Keepin' the Faith"

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
And another thing.....
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2000, 12:37:00 PM »
There's an old thread about the Me-321 in the Aircraft folder, it was capable of carrying a single Mark IV chassis as well (Panzer IV) but I don't believe it ever did in combat.

Gilder troops weren't airborne squads   (didn't even get hazard pay!)  The 75mm FH are the M1A1, and the M1897A2, carried by the cargo version of the WACO...still alot heavier then then the 37mm and 57mm guns, I'd hate to be the gun crews when landing in enemy territory

[This message has been edited by Jigster (edited 11-18-2000).]