Author Topic: AH1 Shutdown  (Read 1681 times)

Offline TrueKill

• Silver Member
AH1 Shutdown
« on: May 16, 2004, 07:28:08 AM »
I heard that when AH2 comes out that HiTech is going to shut down AH1 is this true. (I dont want everyones opinion on this I just want to know if its true) thanks

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
AH1 Shutdown
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2004, 07:37:57 AM »
Yes

One morning the servers will reset, ah1 will be fondly remembered history.
AH2 will be live.

Offline _Schadenfreude_

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
AH1 Shutdown
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2004, 08:42:58 AM »
And it's going to be soon!!!

Offline TrueKill

• Silver Member
AH1 Shutdown
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2004, 08:45:47 AM »
Doesnt HiTech know hes ganna loose alot of players that dont have good enough computers to play AH2 and they arnt ganna go buy new softwear just to play it. Like me i just got my new computer 6 months ago and it can bearly handle AH2 when ever a con comes near me my FRs drop by like 20 and screen freezes up for a sec.

Offline jodgi

• Nickel Member
      • http://forum.mercair.net
AH1 Shutdown
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2004, 09:07:20 AM »
HTC also knows that if they don't make new versions and make some use of new technology, they will also lose customers.

Offline dracon

• Nickel Member
      • http://myweb.cableone.net/decon14/
AH1 Shutdown
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2004, 09:21:54 AM »
This is such a myth!!  I would say that if you can play AH 1 you will have NO problems playing AH2.

You have read too much of the Beta BS.  My FPS is higher in AH2 than in 1.  The only real problem I see is for Pilots with Dialups!  Skin downloading In-Game will be slow.  I don't read every post, but I'm betting there will be a place to D'ld skins not In-game.  You can get them at night using "GetRight" or some other D'ld manager.

Hang in there

Offline CurtissP-6EHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
AH1 Shutdown
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2004, 09:48:17 AM »
I remember a flight sim called WarBirds 2.xx. I kept reading the same type post about the update WarbirdsIII. The same basic computer issues and then getting rid of WarBirds 2.xx. Well one day it happened, WBIII came out with compuer killing graphics and WB 2.xx was eliminated forcing old customers to cancel thier accounts. Over time the Historic Arena and other arenas were also canceled. At one time guys were paying $400 a month to play WBs 2.xx and now they pay $25 (?) a month. WBs 2.xx main arena always had about 300 peaple in it much like AH. The Histric Arena had about the same as AH's CT. I checked out a free week about two months ago and noticed only about 150 logged in to the only arena.

Offline TrueKill

• Silver Member
AH1 Shutdown
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2004, 09:57:26 AM »
This is such a myth!! I would say that if you can play AH 1 you will have NO problems playing AH2.You have read too much of the Beta BS. My FPS is higher in AH2 than in 1.

NO ITS NOT a myth ok it bearly plays for me and about 10 other ppl iv talked to. u have the same FPS as in AH1 but right when anouther plane come into view my FR starts to drop i dont know if thats still the game bugs or if its my puter but if their makin in where ppl that bout a new puter 6 months ago are havin problems playin it i think they went a little to far in the graphics.

Offline NHawk

• Silver Member
AH1 Shutdown
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2004, 10:03:36 AM »
There is a way around this, but I doubt HT would be open to it...

Leave AH1 online, charge $24.95 a month and don't support it, update it or change anything and remove AH1 forums from this message system. If people want AH1, they have to pay for it and not expect support for it. A disclaimer when they sign up would take care of that. Charge $14.95 a month for AH2 making the price, support etc. the incentive to switch to it.

Keep in mind just how old AH1 is. It's base program was written how many years ago? How much have systems progressed since then? I think HT is doing a service by supporting the low minimum system specs for AH2. He could have made them MUCH higher since about the slowest NEW name brand prebuilt system you can buy today is a 2+Ghz celeron.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2004, 10:08:19 AM by NHawk »
Most of the people you meet in life are like slinkies. Pretty much useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
-------------------------------
Sometimes I think I have alzheimers. But then I forget about it and it's not a problem anymore.

Offline Ecliptik

• Nickel Member
AH1 Shutdown
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2004, 10:15:35 AM »
The minimum requirements for AH2 can be met with fifty bucks and a garage sale.

Pony up guys.

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
AH1 Shutdown
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2004, 10:16:41 AM »
I get the same second freezes, but I think it is just I need to update the video drivers. If that dont work, then 128 meg DDR GeForce MX 4000 video card is only $80 at best buy, which is cheap for a quality video card.
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
      • http://bio2.elmira.edu/DMS/index.pl?table=content&faculty=1&page=1
AH1 Shutdown
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2004, 10:17:29 AM »
If you are so cheap you cant update your computer to something that sells for under 150 dollars.  Just take a 10 month vacation from hitech and save your money.  That is if you even pay to play and are not a h2h player.

If you want a relatively modern computer, put your old harddrive, floppy, and cdrom into this.

Sunday, May 16 2004 08:16:14 AM
accessmicro.com
AMD Athlon XP 266FSB Processor DDR-266 System

CHASSIS
     Apex PC-115N Black ATX Mid-Tower Case w/300W Power Supply (CSXXP00PC115N)
OPERATING SYSTEM
     None Selected
CASE FAN
     Generic Additional Case Cooling Fan (FAN04 )
MOTHERBOARD
     Syntax SV266M KM266 Socket A VGA AC97 LAN M-ATX Motherboard (onboard VGA) (MTBSTSV266MB )
PROCESSOR
     AMD Athlon XP 2400+ Thorton 256K 266FSB Socket A CPU OEM (CPPAMSA24THXP )
CPU FAN
     Speeze fan for Athlon XP up to 2800+ XP (FANAMSAXP22)
MEMORY
     Apacer 512MB PC2100 NONECC DDRAM Memory (MMPA30051226 )
VIDEO
     CHAINTECH GEFORCE FX5200 8X AGP 128MB DDR W/TV-OUT & DVI (VGACHFX20 )
SOUND
     None Selected
CD/DVD R-RW OPTICAL 1
     None Selected
FLOPPY
     None Selected
MODEM
     None Selected
KEYBOARD
     None Selected
NETWORKING: ADAPTERS
     None Selected
WARRANTY AND SUPPORT
     (1) One year Limited Warranty (WAR08)
PROMOTION & REBATE
     Free Lexmark Sample Photo Paper Pack (MISLEASPAPER)
PRECONFIGURED
     (CD/DVD Burning Software) Nero Vision Express v.6.0.0.6 (Nero Suite 1) (SOFN300EXP6006)
Your Price: $343.00

Offline FOGOLD

• Silver Member
AH1 Shutdown
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2004, 10:22:58 AM »
Trueskill, if your 6 month old PC can barely play AH 1 OR 2 there must be something seriously the matter with it. My PC will be 3 yrs old this nov. Ok I upgraded a few things, but I think it will play AH2 no prob.

Post your specs till we take a look. It can't be that bad!;)

Offline dracon

• Nickel Member
      • http://myweb.cableone.net/decon14/
AH1 Shutdown
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2004, 10:34:27 AM »
CurtissP-6EHawk,
Not sure where you got this info????  WBs II was never shutdown and still exsists today??  WBs III truly was/is a POS.  I was there for 6+ years from WBs II 2.0 until WBs III 2.7, I think.  I never saw 300 online save the S3 squadron series.  Currently, I think they would be lucky to get 100 players in all the arenas.  There are some "diehards" there that prefer to fly in Jello, use  3rd party Comms, No engine management and No head movement.  WBs does have some pluses.  The radar is MORE realistic, no in-flight radar, no goofy flashing fields.  Find what you like and fly what you like it's your dime:)
Go Here: http://www.totalsims.com/?page=online

TrueKill,
What Ecliptik said!!

I still think many are worried for no reason.  I just don't think HTC would be silly enough to eliminate the Masses!!  Hitech and Pyro built WarBirds and built Aces High.  If they can't do this, then no one can!

Offline TrueKill

• Silver Member
AH1 Shutdown
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2004, 10:54:13 AM »
yea u can get it for $50 if ur lucky and mabey its just cuz i got so many games installed on my computer: Sim City 4, Il-2 FB Gold Pack, Secret weapons over normandy,Janes attack Squaron, AH1,and AH2 not to mittion all the other programs thats on my puter (mostly MP3s and Music videos). guess when AH2 comes out im ganna have to clean out my puter off all the other game (sept IL-2) love that game to much:D