Author Topic: Farenheit 911 Palme d'or of Canne 2004  (Read 2396 times)

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
Farenheit 911 Palme d'or of Canne 2004
« Reply #90 on: May 23, 2004, 03:21:06 AM »
Hey man... This is the AH BBS... Can't be too careful....

Are you lookin' at me funny?

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #91 on: May 23, 2004, 03:32:11 AM »
People in this thread are calling F911 a POS...

... but how many have actually seen it?

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #92 on: May 23, 2004, 03:37:34 AM »
Nash I think you are trying to have it both ways...

On one hand you said that it was purely a businss decision and now you say thats its also a correct business decision you agree with..

However the other half of your posts try to make some fringe argument that somehow the  company and/or the government commied an evil act of censorship in not allowing the message of the film to be "heard."

Those are two conflicing message coming from you.  And while I cant ask you to decide black/white which one you prefer I think some clarificatyion is order because your current stance is far too fragmented and ambigous.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #93 on: May 23, 2004, 03:41:51 AM »
People are also goin' bat-***** over "flip-floppers"... But how many people have actually looked at things for themselves?

Nobody, basically...

s'why I love threads like this...

It's like the Borg debate team in here.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #94 on: May 23, 2004, 03:49:33 AM »
I gotta give ya credit Grun cuz I barreled through yer post and this time my eyebrows didn't do the wtf dance.

Disney/whoever decided not to distribute this film. Yes? Yes.

This film is going to make money. Yes? Yes.

Disney is a perfect example of one of these vaunted private companies which seems to mean everything to you. Yes? Yes.

Disney the private company turned down money. Yes? Yes.

Why? Why?

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #95 on: May 23, 2004, 04:02:43 AM »
Why?

Government Censorship - far fetched.

Bad publicity and loss of revenues due to protest- far more likely.

Disney/ABC etc have to serve a very wide market of mostly Americans, they have to keep them happy in order to take their money.

A film about 911 that makes such accusations and distortions as Moore has always done in his other works would piss a lot of people off. Maybe not you, but it would piss of a lot of average Disney customer Americans - basically the sort of people not in attendance at Cannes. Because 911 is avery sensitive topic in this country. I'm not sure if its the same in Canada but I assume you are aware that it is so here in the USA...

The difference here is and this is my take on it, is that people on the modern day left are not used to seeing messages they like baing rejected and protested against and so are very upset about this...

We saw this with the huge protests and boycotts of the Dixie Chicks afther they made controversial political comments, the left went apechit over these consumer protests and made all sorts of accusations of free speech violations and censorship.  Yet all these people did was exactly what liberals do all the time, protest and boycott buisnesses they disagrered with for ideological or moral or ethical reasosns.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #96 on: May 23, 2004, 04:14:41 AM »
Did you know that you can watch Love Boat on nine different levels?

That is... There are nine distinct ways with which to view it. Each one offering its own layer of meaning, of truth.

Sawry... my eybrows broke into disco inferno on yer post.... wore me out... gotta get to bed.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #97 on: May 23, 2004, 04:18:31 AM »
Man you just cant read unless its all really easy... :)

I write a lot, far too much in fact. This quarter alone I probly wrote enough for a small novel and it's all extremely good. So I'm really tired of writing watermelon carefiully, editing, condesnsing and generally writing to a high standard, dont make me do it here...

OK?

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #98 on: May 23, 2004, 04:23:50 AM »
k.

niters. :)

Offline -tronski-

• Gold Member
« Reply #99 on: May 23, 2004, 05:12:43 AM »
Originally posted by GRUNHERZ
Yea just like how Bowling for Culumbine got an award from them and the oscars as a documetary when most of it was full of staged scenes, highly edited and timeshifted footage, lies etc...

But agin it always comes down to what you want to see and if it confirms your existing biases and prejudices, which columbine did in spades for you ignorant america haters...

Andd the best of it is yoiu all consider yoursels somehow sophisticated and specially enlighened with the real truth by watching that trash...

lol.....:rofl

oh wait....you're serious...

:rofl

Tronsky
God created Arrakis to train the faithful

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #100 on: May 23, 2004, 05:13:55 AM »
This is the ridicule stage, right?

Offline -tronski-

• Gold Member
« Reply #101 on: May 23, 2004, 05:20:33 AM »
This is the ridicule stage, right?

No that was the what the hell are you on stage...

Tronsky
God created Arrakis to train the faithful

Offline lada

• Silver Member
« Reply #102 on: May 23, 2004, 05:23:02 AM »
I'm curious Nash why do you care if Disney rejected this pos?  

its simple

since they have a lot of costumers like you, they dont wanna loose them...

Your media has been made to generate profit, so they will sell stuff whitch will create big profit.

If they will start some discusion about sutch things now, average american like you will say ..... ANTIEMREKANS bastards, i will NOT buy even toilet paper from THEM.   No matter if they print out true or half true or BS.

Sutch things prove that country whitch is ruled by profit will never be free.

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #103 on: May 23, 2004, 05:27:55 AM »
I couldn't help but chuckle when I saw that yesterday (thinking about thise BBS of course) :D

From the Cannes website

The Palme d'Or of this 57th edition of the Festival de Cannes was presented by Charlize Theron to Fahrenheit 9/11 by Michael Moore.

"I can't begin to express my appreciation and my gratitude to the jury, the Festival, to Gilles Jacob, Thierry Frémaux, Bob and Harvey at Miramax, to all of the crew who worked on the film. [...] I have a sneaking suspicion that what you have done here and the response from everyone at the festival, you will assure that the American people will see this film. I can't thank you enough for that. You've put a huge light on this and many people want the truth and many want to put it in the closet, just walk away. There was a great Republican president who once said, if you just give the people the truth, the republicans, the Americans will be saved. [...] I dedicate this Palme d'Or to my daughter, to the children of Americans and to Iraq and to all those in the world who suffer from our actions. "

Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #104 on: May 23, 2004, 05:29:59 AM »
Originally posted by lada

Sutch things prove that country whitch is ruled by profit will never be free.

The only true expression of freedom and the people's will is through dictatorial communism!!!