Author Topic: Please return open channel  (Read 12390 times)

Offline Hyrax81st

• Copper Member
Please return open channel
« Reply #180 on: June 02, 2004, 03:58:04 AM »
.s HiTech,

I'm hoping for the same thing with regard to additional VOX channels for squads.

1. First off... can we secure our squad freq. so spies can't pop in and listen to our comm's ? Maybe make it so that you can't tune to the squad freq. unless invited to (for that session) by one of the designated Sr. officers of the squad. Maybe keep squad freq as a completely separate semaphore (rather than tunable freq) for reason of need for additional vox channels as listed in #2 below.

2. I would like to see a hierarchy of VOX squad channel settings that allowed private comms between:

A. Squad CO and Squad Flight Leaders (SFL).
B. SFL's and their flights.
C. Wingmen
D. Pilot and Gunner of an individual plane (intercom).

... maybe fixed at 5 or 6 levels deep to allow for greater granularity in the organization of some squads.

3. Keep Room VOX as is.

4. Additional colors for both text channels and vox channels

Channels would sort of work this way...

1. The Squad CO and SFL's share the base squad channel (BSC). The CO gets to have broadcast ability to entire squad for certain Pre/Post flight messages (could use mission or room channel for this).
2. SFL's use base squad channel to speak to CO and each other. In addition, they have separate channel just for their flight (BSC.SFLA or B, C, D...etc...)
3. Flight members use the same BSC.SFLA channel to speak to their SFL and each other. In addition they have separate channel for their wingman and a separate channel (potentially) for their gunner (like intercom). Conceivably, two wingmen in B17s could have their gunners and each other included on a single channel for coordination of defensive fire.

The max number of squad vox channels (buttons) required in this example would potentially be 3 - A flight member with a wingman and gunner on board their own plane. I don't need to hear anything else from the rest of my squad, except through my flight leader (or room channel).

In asking for the flexibility to do this, I am not suggesting that it be hardcoded in a regimented fashion based on internal squad ranking or anything else. I am suggesting that it would make for more efficient ops for large squads who wanted to use it, though. That brings me to my last request.

Can we up the squad number limit to a much greater level so that some of us with squads over the current limit can get back together as one group using the same name again ? (also to benefit from squad highlighting in game, comms, etc...).

Offline Oddball-CAF

• Silver Member
« Reply #181 on: June 02, 2004, 04:22:37 AM »
Gents,
  I'll toss in my two cents here and say that I find it disappointing that "Channel 1" has been turned off in the latest beta. While it's true that a small percentage of pilots use it as a sophmoric release vehicle for vulgarity, most of the time I find it filled with wit and humor.
  I personally lay the problem directly at HTCs feet, having personally brought to their attention with screenshots and film, a glaring example of its misuse by an individual using it to exemplify his command of English language profanities. HTC's response was that "we haven't had any reports of bad behavior on this individual before"...which was a total untruth as another of my squaddies had several days earlier, alerted them to the same problem.
  IMHO, HTC's attempt to maintain its customer base at the cost of self-policing is at the heart of the problem, and if channel 1 has indeed been turned off as a "fix", it is a classic example of an ostrich imitation.
Regards,
Oddball
Cactus Air Force
  X.O.

Offline Oddball-CAF

• Silver Member
« Reply #182 on: June 02, 2004, 04:43:28 AM »
Gents, the thought occurs to me as I continue reading through this thread. Defaulting "Channel 1" to a turned-off state within the game for all pilots and requiring it to be enabled with the ".unsquelch" dot command would make everyone happy.
  The guys who don't want to see it and are unaware/unwilling/unable to turn it off win, and those folks who do enjoy it are kept happy as well. Everybody wins with this simple solution.
  Personally, I can't understand why I'm seeing so many seasoned AW/AH veterans in here wishing to see it go the way of the dodo when one currently has the option to squelch it immediately upon entrance to the arena.
Regards,
Oddball
Cactus Air Force
  X.O.

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #183 on: June 02, 2004, 06:19:24 AM »
Originally posted by Hyrax81st
can we secure our squad freq. so spies can't pop in and listen to our comm's ?  
If you use the dedicated "Squad" vox channel (from drop down list in the Vox window) then it is private to only squad members.  If you use a number channel, it is free for anyone to tune to and I can't see that changing.  :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #184 on: June 02, 2004, 07:05:41 AM »
so why is it back on?
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #185 on: June 02, 2004, 07:25:13 AM »
Wouldn't worry me in the least if Ch 1 was closed for good. Seems to be more a channel for people to rant and whine then for anything constructive.

One particular muppet today spent a good part of his time whining and calling everyone else losers plus the odd FU. Hardly good for the game especially when someone else had his son playing.

If there was a poll I'd say close it, save me having to squelch the thing.

...-Gixer

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #186 on: June 02, 2004, 07:44:53 AM »
"I can't understand why I'm seeing so many seasoned AW/AH veterans in here wishing to see it go the way of the dodo..."

Only speaking for myself ...

Channel one has, for the past two years, has dragged the atmosphere in AH down to the 4th grade recess level.
 I imagine that can't be very good for new business especially when new players have it forced on them when they log on. I bet most don't even know they can turn it off. Regardless when they ask for help of any kind they get a cacauphony of "RTFM" or "ALT -F4!" replies.  
 Also as to why I think channel one being gone is a GOOD thing? I'm an adult and I wish to participate online with other adults in a more mature atmosphere.  Not online in an arena that resembles a relaxed realism playground dominated by loud, obnoxious and crass adolescents  or 34 yr olds acting like they're 14.

So IMO HiTech and Pyro taking away the soap box for jeuvinile grandtsaning and ill mannered was a GOOD thing.  Sure makes the MA a heck of alot more appealing and if they could "fix" now implement a fix for the "pork&auger" disease I could see subscriptions from ex-players increasing.  By one anyway.

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
« Reply #187 on: June 02, 2004, 08:09:06 AM »
I have no real preference, but I am curious about one thing.  If channel 1 is permanently squelched, then what's the point of channel 1?  I guess you'll remove it from the list of available channels?  But that makes no sense ...

By default, I'm guessing you will have radio 1 untuned, radio 2 to country, radio 3 to local and radio 4 untuned ... is that right?  Will channel 1 be a valid private channel?

curly

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #188 on: June 02, 2004, 08:28:07 AM »
..Except, now the jerkoffs contact you on private channel to sling mud, cuss, swear and harrass.

If we screen capture that shi* and send it to HTC, can we get those pukes banned from the game?

The distasteful people are not always the childish, or newbies users. Rather, the ranks of the "veterans" contain some of the most offending people who just can't wait to put down everyone else who took a shot them.

And IMO, they do more damage to the game and to the community, than the entire kiddies+n00bs combined.

Somehow, they seem to think the "gaming skill" bucket is linked to the "influence inside the society" bucket, which seems to be why they think they can afford to be so 'vocal', and get away with it without being punished like everyone else.

IMO, get rid of those 'veteran tards', and the minor n00b rants and "nice HO" slants can be tolerated without much further ado. If HT is really this firm about keeping the arena air clear, then I think he should start with smiting the dinkhats who have so long evaded punishment and harassed people on a regular basis, and caused tons of grief and disgust to great many people who wish to enjoy this game.

Offline detch01

• Silver Member
« Reply #189 on: June 02, 2004, 09:16:13 AM »
Originally posted by Kweassa
..Except, now the jerkoffs contact you on private channel to sling mud, cuss, swear and harrass.

If we screen capture that shi* and send it to HTC, can we get those pukes banned from the game?

The distasteful people are not always the childish, or newbies users. Rather, the ranks of the "veterans" contain some of the most offending people who just can't wait to put down everyone else who took a shot them.

And IMO, they do more damage to the game and to the community, than the entire kiddies+n00bs combined.

Somehow, they seem to think the "gaming skill" bucket is linked to the "influence inside the society" bucket, which seems to be why they think they can afford to be so 'vocal', and get away with it without being punished like everyone else.

IMO, get rid of those 'veteran tards', and the minor n00b rants and "nice HO" slants can be tolerated without much further ado. If HT is really this firm about keeping the arena air clear, then I think he should start with smiting the dinkhats who have so long evaded punishment and harassed people on a regular basis, and caused tons of grief and disgust to great many people who wish to enjoy this game.

Right on the money sir
asw
Latrine Attendant, 1st class
semper in excretio, solum profundum variat

Offline Flit

• Silver Member
« Reply #190 on: June 02, 2004, 09:31:40 AM »
Originally posted by Oddball-CAF
Gents,
  I'll toss in my two cents here and say that I find it disappointing that "Channel 1" has been turned off in the latest beta. While it's true that a small percentage of pilots use it as a sophmoric release vehicle for vulgarity, most of the time I find it filled with wit and humor.
  I personally lay the problem directly at HTCs feet, having personally brought to their attention with screenshots and film, a glaring example of its misuse by an individual using it to exemplify his command of English language profanities. HTC's response was that "we haven't had any reports of bad behavior on this individual before"...which was a total untruth as another of my squaddies had several days earlier, alerted them to the same problem.
  IMHO, HTC's attempt to maintain its customer base at the cost of self-policing is at the heart of the problem, and if channel 1 has indeed been turned off as a "fix", it is a classic example of an ostrich imitation.
Regards,
Oddball
Cactus Air Force
  X.O.

Ya know, calling someone a liar is not very nice.
 How do You know nothings been done ?
 Do You happen to know what the workload is like at HTC right now ?
Do You know how many films/screenshots they get a day to review?
 I know the several times I've reported someone, backed up with evidence (a short film ) it's takin care of, usually within a week or so.
 I doubt HTC gonna ban someone for 1 or 2 complaints, but I garuntee ya 12 send in a film something will be done:aok

Offline AWCHKRS

• Copper Member
CH1 on again ..and results are good
« Reply #191 on: June 02, 2004, 10:14:53 AM »
Found CH 1 turned on again , and this morning Kev and others were able to help me and we did testing and compared results over CH 1 , ..... this testing went on for almost an hour and , the result was.... that I was able to make continual  HO pass's thru dog fights that were being fought by the Knights and Bish players

"flying as a Rook " and was able  to see and test results of video card in game settings . No one from either side fired a shot at my Tempest !!! . because I was able to ask for and get help from both sides . in the AH 2 arena .  only jab I got on CH 1 was " who is in The spac ship pilot in  Tempest ? must be a ROOK ! ... LOL
 I answered It's  me , ALT helps make up for my crappy flying skills alittle ! . Good fun !!!
 Any way thanks to the open Channel ONE and the great Beta testers CREW on board in AH 2 this morning , my Screen freeze problems are history , the results and settings changes made with "others " help thru CH 1  have seemed to have corrected the problems and struggle I have had ingame since Beta 36 release .

Again I want to thank you people who were in the Arena this morning helping me sort this out " In real time "
 Best Regards
 CHECKERS

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
« Reply #192 on: June 02, 2004, 10:19:56 AM »
Tuning 200 seems to work fine, and it makes the all-country voice option the user's choice instead of a game default.  If any of the all-player chat ever turns litigious, this should help fireproof Aces High.  

It is much more immersive to fly without the deluge of all-country personal chat that often has nothing to do with the game.  Eliminates a lot of screen clutter.  

Especially for those so concerned with perk points and no external views, not automatically hearing (viewing) enemy radio chat is a lot more realistic (a Tokyo Rose might be an exception).  

Humble sticks like me now can better enjoy our occasional victories over the minority of motor mouths whose whines are louder than their achievements.  

Even were getting a little too expected.  Now a truly exceptional encounter still can be acknowledged, and the extra effort will make it more special instead of routine.    

Excellent explanations by HiTech and Pyro.  Always impressive how Aces High keeps positively evolving.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
« Reply #193 on: June 02, 2004, 10:29:07 AM »
(Kweassa wrote the following:)

(end of Kweassa quote)

Bravo, Kweassa!  A good friend of mine, when we were talking about on-line sims, reminded me that there are a few people in most situations who get their jollies primarily by agitating and causing trouble.  

Essentially attention-starved, nothing satisfies them -- winning, losing, tying -- except making other people unhappy.  For whatever internal problem they have, they want only to bring others down to their dissatisfied level.  

Good thing 99.99% of us in Aces High are not this way, right?
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline Skyfoxx

• Silver Member
« Reply #194 on: June 02, 2004, 10:58:17 AM »
Originally posted by Kweassa

Very well said Kweassa, you are exactly right.
"Consider your own fortunes gentlemen the deepest circle of hell is reserved for traitors and mutineers."