Author Topic: Final...CH1 Gone in AHII  (Read 2247 times)

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
Final...CH1 Gone in AHII
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2004, 11:31:49 PM »
Originally posted by HUN
CH 1 was available tonight in Beta...  unfortunately a lot of immature folk were ready to test the extent of HTC’s patience.

Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but remember the AH2 beta where typing text slowed down the game and your framerate. Maybe, there is some issue such as bandwidth or server load that makes lessening the textual diahhrea overall a boon for the game's performance. Especially, if, as HTC hopes, the player population continues to expand. Just a shot in the dark, but possible.

Zazen
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Final...CH1 Gone in AHII
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2004, 07:49:06 AM »
I won't miss it one bit, tired of the childish immature and offensive attitude of allot of people towards others. I often squelch ch1 have done for years but every now and then I leave it open just to see what's going on and often it's just "loser" or "FU".

If there was a poll I'd vote for it to be closed tomorrow. Glad HT have realised that.

One particular muppet today on AH2 was and often is the most immature and offensive that I know of and reason enough for HT to close it down.

Guess some people will now have to take out their immature anger at getting shot down or what ever on the dog or something.

...-Gixer

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Final...CH1 Gone in AHII
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2004, 07:58:17 AM »
Originally posted by HUN
CH 1 was available tonight in Beta...  unfortunately a lot of immature folk were ready to test the extent of HTC’s patience.

yep, was sorry to see it back up
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
Final...CH1 Gone in AHII
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2004, 08:04:32 AM »
I like it!:)
**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline culero

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Final...CH1 Gone in AHII
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2004, 08:15:13 AM »
Community is what makes AH what it is. Having a common channel by default in arena serves to build community.

Yeah, AH is a flight sim. But so is Il2, EAW, yada yada. There's a difference. We just happen to be a community that likes to fly. But, that's not the most critical factor in making AH what it is. There's something much more important.

Community.

There's a certain subset of the community that participates in forums like this, and thus can communicate regardless of country affiliations and radio channel restrictions. But even their ability to form relationships is restricted by the loss of channel one. Their interactions in the game and the ease with which they can communicate about them are restricted by this, and thus the ease with which relationships are built.

Think carefully here. How many people in this game that you normally fly *against* do you know well? How much does that add to the flavor of your time online?

How likely is it you would have built those relationships if their planes had always been anonymous, identified only by type?

How much do we all lose if we don't form those relationships?

Yes I realize that some relationships are contentious, and that strife on common channel is part of the result. There is even the factor of the griefers who use a common channel to piss everyone off as much as possible.

But, those things are things that are part of what makes a community a community. We learn each other's nature and personality in seeing the ways we each react to, participate in, or even ignore such negative things. The fact that our virtual community mirrors the real world in the inclusion of all facets of online life is what makes it vital.

I'm not gonna let this turn me sour in my relationship toward HTC. As HiTech said, he and Pyro have been around a long time (their online roots come from the same place mine do, as a matter of fact). Their experience is longer than mine. I respect that, and the fact that this is their house.

But, all due respect granted, I believe this is a very serious mistake, for the sake of the community.

FWIW, IMHnsdweebO.

culero
“Before we're done with them, the Japanese language will be spoken only in Hell!” - Adm. William F. "Bull" Halsey

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Final...CH1 Gone in AHII
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2004, 08:35:18 AM »
Community....

A bit like a local pub.

I see a lot of posts saying in effect "Just ignore it!"

Well... If I go to a local pub and some fool is stood on a soap box spouting offensive rubbish; then I might indeed ignore it; once. The second time I'd probably try and have the fool silenced; but if he's still there being obnoxious the third time; it's very unlikely I'll go there again. Why should I?

And this is the position HTC is in: That of the pub landlord.

But Channel 1 is only part of the problem; one has always been able to squelch it. Far worse in my eyes is range vox. I HATE IT! and always have.

And if Channel 1 has gone the way of the Dodo; one can only pray range vox, that most dubious of game "improvements", is somewhere very close behind.

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
Final...CH1 Gone in AHII
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2004, 08:55:44 AM »
IMO the community will still grow (more so now IMO), there will still be plenty of player interaction online and this draconian measure will benefit AH quite a bit.  

I still think an automatic arena feature that muted someone after 25 (or some decent #) players have squelched him/her to be a better option.  They would remain that way until they submit an apology to HTC and request for "parole."
 I imagine that is open to abuse but I've not seen any seriously sound proposals on how to deal with the current state of channel 1.  Telling people to squelch channel 1 if they don't like it is not "cleaning up" the arena.  

But as Seeker poiinted out range VOX will still a problem and IMO so is the lack of a permanent squelch feature.  Some players just "chat" too much (vox and text wise) and while they may not be vulgar, crass or jeuvinile I just don't want to have to read thier constant chit-chat or perpetual issuance of marching orders  and thier version of a winning "stategery."

And I've always failed to see the benefit to having the clubhouse be the same as the playing court.  In other words "fight" online but hold your chit-chat for the boards.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Final...CH1 Gone in AHII
« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2004, 09:05:51 AM »
lack of action breeds chat.

lazs

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Final...CH1 Gone in AHII
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2004, 09:12:30 AM »
Originally posted by Seeker
But Channel 1 is only part of the problem; one has always been able to squelch it. Far worse in my eyes is range vox. I HATE IT! and always have.

AMEN BROTHER!

The non-stop blather on Range obliterates squad channel. If Range were kept "tactical" it'd be one thing but not being able to squelch the latest tales of derring-do in the three-year-old daughters ballet class is truly irritating.

Yeah, we blather on squad channel too. But it's a CHOICE. Range ISN'T a choice and it needs to be made into a choice.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Final...CH1 Gone in AHII
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2004, 09:13:06 AM »
And, as usual, Laz goes right to the heart of the matter.

You can't type much when you're fighting, can you?  :)
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Edbert

• Gold Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
Final...CH1 Gone in AHII
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2004, 09:17:57 AM »
Originally posted by Seeker

And if Channel 1 has gone the way of the Dodo; one can only pray range vox, that most dubious of game "improvements", is somewhere very close behind.

I really like having range vox available to me. I can give 6 calls faster and more accurately with it. It is particularly enjoyable when there not many of my squaddies around. The problem with range vox though is my inability to .squelch certain offenders.

As serious of a legal concern as channel 1 may be to HTC I can only imagine the apopleptic shock that range vox could cause to the easilly offended, or the very young, or the very old. I can no longer play this game with my speakers turned up, and that really sucks since I have the 5.1 Klipsch setup. I have heard things said on range vox that would make a sailor blush. If they said the same thing on channel1 my youngest child (who may be playing on his computer next to me) would not read it, nor would the wife-ack come down the hall to see WTF was going on. As things are there needs to be some restraints put on those who cannot use vox without self-restraint.

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
Final...CH1 Gone in AHII
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2004, 09:22:16 AM »
yep, was sorry to see it back up

THEN SHUT IF OFF.

What is so hard about that? I mean really?

Look kids. That burner on the stove is RED HOT. I know that if I touch it I will get a very bad burn. I know this because its RED HOT. So you touch it anyways. And you end up getting burnt.

Whose fault is that?

I have spent at the most, 10 minuets tops since Ch1 was taken out of the game. If I am going to play beta and not talk to anyone then I may as well play off line. I enjoy the interation between players whom I've developed a "friendship" with if you will. And I didnt have to worry if they were tuned to this new Ch200 that's been designated as the "all" channel.

As I said a week ago now, if anything needs changing with Ch1 it should be that its off by default when you enter the game. And those who are mature enough to carry a normal conversation and act like human beings, can turn it on. Those who are not, can feel the wraith of the moderators. The moderators that NEED to be implemented mind you.

This way those poor little tender players who can't stand the sight of Ch1 for those few short moments as they are logging in, dont have to see it at all.

For those of you who think this imature garbage will stop in the game because Ch1 is gone think again. When AH2 goes into the final version and AH1 is gone. These people will come in force. These are the people who need to infest Channel 1 with obscenities. They are going to get bored now that they have no Ch1, they are going to need to talk, to type, to bother someone. The crap is going to cary over to Ch2 YOUR country Channel. They wont shut up because their countrymen tell them to. They wouldn't stop on Ch1, so why would they stop now simply because they have one less Channel to do it on? They wont, and I can guarantee it.

There is only one way to deal with this. Its nothing new, its nothing drastic. Implement moderators back into the game.

Like I said before, there are many people who would meet the qualifications as a moderator. Many who are there to have a good time, know when enough is enough and thing have gone too far.

Hitech, I implore you to please find moderators again for the game. They did a fine job in the past. And I guarantee they will do a fine job to police the activities of players in Ah2.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2004, 09:26:56 AM by Morpheus »
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline DipStick

• Gold Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
Final...CH1 Gone in AHII
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2004, 09:28:51 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
And, as usual, Laz goes right to the heart of the matter.

You can't type much when you're fighting, can you?  :)

No he can't, he's too busy trying to steal my kills. ;)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Final...CH1 Gone in AHII
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2004, 09:31:00 AM »
Elbert do you know about the .vsquelch command?

HiTech

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Final...CH1 Gone in AHII
« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2004, 10:00:48 AM »
They are going to get bored now that they have no Ch1, they are going to need to talk, to type, to bother someone. The crap is going to cary over to Ch2 YOUR country Channel. They wont shut up because their countrymen tell them to. They wouldn't stop on Ch1, so why would they stop now simply because they have one less Channel to do it on? They wont, and I can guarantee it.

Morph,

The peer pressure within your own country has much more of an effect that across country lines. If they have no means to rant at the person they just had a fight with and won/lost, then they simply wont rant. They will probably vent and yell at their kids, wife, girlfriend, and like Nopoop, maybe kick their dog.

If HT were to assigned MORE moderators then CH 1 could be viable again, in my eyes, but if not, then get rid of it and tune to Ch 200.

Hey ... don't you have a greater cause at hand ... like saving Zion !!! :D
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."