Author Topic: Cable Modem otw out?  (Read 693 times)

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
Cable Modem otw out?
« on: June 02, 2004, 09:41:56 AM »
Ok heres the deal. I'll be sitting at my computer. Cable will be find. Doing things on the net, browsing or I'll be on line in AH and and my status will fro from a solid green light to a blinking light. This mean that my connection is being dropped. When this happens I have to be warping big time. I'll get major lag in my connection if I dont get booted.

My question is why? It will drop its connection and then regain it maybe 10 seconds later. Is this a sign that my cable modem is on its way out? Or does it have something to do with my provider? (Charter Comm.)

Skuzzy any ideas?

PS- this only started happening this morning.
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline AWCHKRS

• Copper Member
my connection is being dropped
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2004, 08:04:38 PM »
Morpheus
 Since I downloaded Beta 37 this afternoon , all I have been getting is lost UDP Error and then connection lost .......

my connect speed to internet is bullet fast ! T 1.5 , but not cable modem  
ping rates in AH2 game were 20 ms before Beta 37, now up to 75 ms and varaiance is on the moon ! in the game

CHECKERS

Offline SLO

• Gold Member
Cable Modem otw out?
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2004, 08:10:58 PM »
could be alot of things Jeff.....

you try to ping anything?

If you do...let it run for awhile....look for spikes and try to identify where it is....

FYI....it could be your modem...could be a switch....router...traffic... .line...so on and so forth.

Monitor it yourself.....any spikes...record it and send it in to Skuzz for analyzing or post it so we can verify for you....

hope this helps you

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
Cable Modem otw out?
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2004, 10:35:20 PM »
Thanks guys.

I was thinking about this today and it seems this has happened before. One thing I will say is that it only seems to happen in the mid morning hours. From a period of say, 10-12. After that it seems to be ok and calms down.

It was really acting up this morning though. I mean I would press the go back button on the browser and it would come up with page not found. Hit refresh and there it was. It was that freaquent. I just found this odd because my connection is normally very good, stable and all.

Thanks again guys

Jeff/morph

Offline SLO

• Gold Member
Cable Modem otw out?
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2004, 07:17:11 PM »
if you noticed it happens at the same hour...try to pin point where it comes from....

sometimes Skuzzy will CONTACT someone for you....if its a hop

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
Cable Modem otw out?
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2004, 01:16:14 PM »
yeah this is just about as rediculous as it gets here... All day long I lose connection. Im ready to put a bullet in my modem and call it a day.

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
Cable Modem otw out?
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2004, 01:20:39 PM »
but at night is fine.... That just doenst make sense to me.

It will be working fine one minute and the next kaput! grrrr:mad:

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Cable Modem otw out?
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2004, 01:57:52 PM »
I memory serves me correct, doesn't cable service share bandwidth locally, between you and your neighbors (like on a local network). With that, if the kid next door starts downloading large pron files, your bandwidth will drop accordingly. If you get two of the neighbors kids doing the same thing, then it will get worse.

Just a thought Morph ... there are those that know more about it than me, but that is a 50,000 ft view of this.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
Cable Modem otw out?
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2004, 02:15:43 PM »
lil suckers are all home from school now too! grrr I have to spend my day off pulling my hair out!?

THis is horrible. Get on line, no sooner do I roll in my 38 and "HOST CONNETION LOST!" grrrrrrrrrr

Offline SLO

• Gold Member
Cable Modem otw out?
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2004, 03:38:23 PM »
actually slap your right on the money.....

It could be that...but it could be something else too....thats something you should watch for Jeff.....

usually if you monitor your pings...and there's alot of traffic on your bandwidth you;ll notice your pings increasing.....meaning your getting slower connection

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Cable Modem otw out?
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2004, 04:49:48 PM »
Cable networks will take it on the shin right now.  School is out, and as it happens every year, at this time, the Internet will be a mess for a while.
I think if you search you will find I made a similar statement about this time last year as well.  It is very predictable.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Sled

• Gold Member
      • Friday Squad Operations
Shared Bandwidth
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2004, 12:18:25 AM »
Slap is, on the money. I used to have a cable modem, in fact it was a 1Meg connection. but when everyone in my Hub area got online, my connection speed would drop to the 225K area, or less! That's a big drop! I suspect the same with you. Especially with it happening at the same times of day. I have switched to a DSL connection, and it is only 360K. But it is always 360K, and runs AHI and II very well, at all times of the day.
~Sled~                 Aces High Special Events
USMC/71sqn
      XO               What Aces High is really all about.

Offline Sled

• Gold Member
      • Friday Squad Operations
one solution
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2004, 12:50:57 AM »
Morph have you thought about going around your neighborhood, after dark of course, and cutting the cable drops to houses in the area?;)
~Sled~                 Aces High Special Events
USMC/71sqn
      XO               What Aces High is really all about.

Offline Paul33

• Copper Member
Cable Modem otw out?
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2004, 10:29:37 AM »
One time I had the same problem that you had... Kept disconnecting like that. Tried everything to find out what it was... Ended up being the electricity in my house! The outlet that my Modem was hooked up to was bad. Kept loosing electricity there, on and off, then on again...

So just keep in mind that it could be something irrelevant to the internet itself!

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
Cable Modem otw out?
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2004, 09:01:54 PM »
My cable modem was out for over a week  before they finally noticed the 13dB drop in signal from the outside of the house to where our main system sits. Turns out it was a bad splitter where they ran the cable to the other rooms in the downstairs portion of the house. That just plain old sucked till I raised enough hell this afternoon to have someone come out 10 minutes ago and search for the problem instead of just saying "Yep thats a problem."

Now they decided to credit me with two months service since I threatened to go back to the ADSL ISP here in town.

BTW via the toast.net performance test I am pulling in 3857Kb download speed.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"