Author Topic: Who we gonna lose to AH2?  (Read 3927 times)

Offline BigB717

• Copper Member
      • http://members.rogers.com/15jg52/
Who we gonna lose to AH2?
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2004, 09:12:56 PM »
ya i have tryed it out too it seems fun just as ah is, for me as long as its a flying game its all good :)

but untill full version comes out and more people start playing it we wont know how many or who will like it ;)

probably just the same as AH`1 thts my guess

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2004, 09:16:25 PM »
Originally posted by BigB717
ya i have tryed it out too it seems fun just as ah is, for me as long as its a flying game its all good :)

but untill full version comes out and more people start playing it we wont know how many or who will like it ;)

probably just the same as AH`1 thts my guess

Agreed :)  

Offline acetnt367th

• Copper Member
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2004, 09:53:37 PM »
Originally posted by Gixer
I'll make the tranistion but unless there are more improvements on the way (especially in regards to the graphics) I'll be looking else where.

Frankly I don't think AH2 is a significant step forward at all. It's not a step back as some have pointed out. But it's hardly the leap forward I was expecting. After what, almost 2 years of development? Cripes we still have pixel dust for explosions. :-(

...-Gixer

Hey Gixer,

It is very rare that I respond in this way but you've said it enough about your distaste for the graphics in Ah11. If you dont like the game - unsubscribe......real easy......enough already. You may find it this surprising but some may not miss you...

Acetnt

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2004, 09:56:35 PM »
ME!
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2004, 10:03:07 PM »
the computer ive been on last couple months barely plays THIS; with all the crap we doin to house right now, cant justify 5-6 bills fer new motherboard, chip, vid card and memory---ill have to cancel for extended period
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2004, 01:43:56 AM »
Originally posted by Zazen13
Keeping AH1 and AH2 running concurrently would ...

A) Divide the player base.

Like losing a large portion of the player base is not dividing?
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2004, 06:11:41 AM »
Originally posted by Jackal1
Like losing a large portion of the player base is not dividing?

No, actually, dividing is taking the current player base and partitioning it into two groups that will be unlikely to ever come back together again. Those that do not come to AH2 immediately will more than likely 'rejoin' the community once they have surmounted whatever obstacle that prevented them from doing so in the first place. Alot have described their intention to do exactly this on the BBS.

Obviously, there will be a few who will never buy another computer or upgrade?!?! so may never come to AH2, but those people probably have some other more important life issues to attend to anyways and will likely be better off devoting their free-time elsewhere, like getting an education or a job, or perhaps a second job. My contention is that in the final analysis, once those just naturally resistant to change decide to do whatever they require to try AH2, the vast majority in AH1 today will make the transition to AH2. This may take a while, but Aces High in whatever form is simply the best massively multiplayer combat flight simulator there is. Those hooked on this genre will be there, those that are not hooked, well, have fun playing card games online, we'll sure miss ya :aok

Zazen
« Last Edit: June 05, 2004, 06:51:30 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2004, 08:29:10 AM »
Originally posted by acetnt367th
Hey Gixer,

It is very rare that I respond in this way but you've said it enough about your distaste for the graphics in Ah11. If you dont like the game - unsubscribe......real easy......enough already. You may find it this surprising but some may not miss you...

Acetnt

see...Like that
Nice personal jab. And totally not necessary.

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2004, 09:00:50 AM »
Originally posted by Mugzeee
Glad your's does.
Mine sure wont.
Operating System: Windows XP Pro (5.1-,Build 2600)
CPU: AMD Athlon, MMX, 3D Now, ~ 1.0 GHz
SYS Mem: PC 2100, 512 Meg, DDR
Video: ST Labs ATI Radeon 9000LE, 128 Bit 128 DDR mem, 250MHz Engine Clock
Direct version, 9.0b 4.09.0000.0902
using the Omega drivers CAT 4.5.
I have reduced the Game video settings to bare minium detail. Or at least as much as im going to. :D
Anymore would be like a waste of time.
Video/ Graphic Detail Settings are as follows.

Level Of Detail:  Far Right...Max Performance.
Displayed Object Size: FAR Right...Max Performance.
Ground detail Range: Far Left to 0.5 mile.
Textures to load per frame: Far Left to 1 Tex Per frame.

Video/ Video Settings:
Res: 1280x1024
MAx texture Size: 128
Max Frame Rate: 45 fps

I wonder what the variable is? I put my system together for under $500 in Dec 2001, and it seems to play AH2 "ok" (not great mind you).

AMD XP1800
GeForce2 64
215 megs of ram
onboard sound

Here's something that I thought was in my head, but maybe it will work for you too...  when I changed the slider to "performance" I swear everything got worse for me. But when I restored the defaults, my FPS came back up.

I hope you get it worked out.

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline Zippatuh

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2004, 09:14:44 AM »
I will not be switching to AHII…

I fear change.

Change = bad!

Bad = change!

Why oh why can we not live when times were good.  Dirt floors, no refrigeration, foul drinking water, and old outdated graphic engines and flight models.

Keep holding on to the past!  That only means there’s more room in the future for everyone else ;).

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2004, 09:24:01 AM »
Originally posted by Zazen13
Keeping AH1 and AH2 running concurrently would ...

A) Divide the player base.
B) Almost certainly make the time HTC invested in AH2 development wasted.
C) Cost HTC about twice as much in overheard for servers, support staff, and internet connectivity providers.

In short, from a business standpoint unless keeping both running concurrently meant an immediate doubling in either the number of subscribers or the fee the existing subscribers pay, it would be financial suicide.
Interesting post, Zazen13. The above scenario is exactly what happened with WB2.77/WB3 when the player base split up. Let's hope HTC will avoid some of the traps that iEN fell into.

Originally posted by SlapShot - with a picture of him saying it
Our buddy Beet1e has a bad habit of EMBELLSHING when trying to make a point ... :D

Come on, Slapshot - in this thread, what embellishments have I made about the original plans for TOD/1.11, hmmm?
Cat got your tongue?
:rofl
« Last Edit: June 05, 2004, 09:37:42 AM by beet1e »

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2004, 09:46:43 AM »
I will continue my support for HTC with my $ every month no matter how little I play lately, because they made the best online flightsim ever, and I trust them to continue to do so. I don’t think my $15/ month bones make a real big difference, but I’d like to think it helps in some way to allow them to sit at an office in Grapevine and continue to provide my favorite online game.

I wasn’t initially impressed with AH2 at all, but in one patch (the last one), I’m justified not getting all huffy and prejudging what it will pan out to be, and just trust them. As soon as I doubt, or want to quit, I’m wrong. Pry because player input has been listened too, and the community has made some suggestions that have made AH2 go from something I just hated and not worked for my system, to look very promising. Compare that to IL-2 which we have to just live with the flamethrowers and view system which could be changed, but they won’t. I don’t like that.

Anyway, yup, I’m staying, and if you don’t, 90% will pry be back, with a “2” next to your callsign. I think it’s just sh*tty to abandon a company that has provided so much good stuff for so long, when they are taking a risk and making an effort to progress.

Course I never hated the gameplay like you guys argue about all the time, so if you leave for that reason, it’s valid, AH1 or Ah2. I just wanted to get in massive arena and shoot at planes with real people, not AI, something that is only available in Aces High.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2004, 09:48:45 AM by Creamo »

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2004, 09:50:13 AM »
Anyway, yup, I’m staying, and if you don’t, 90% will pry be back, with a “2” next to your callsign. I think it’s just sh*tty to abandon a company that has provided so much good stuff for so long, when they are taking a risk and making an effort to progress.

Well said
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2004, 10:04:37 AM »
Originally posted by Sikboy
I wonder what the variable is? I put my system together for under $500 in Dec 2001, and it seems to play AH2 "ok" (not great mind you).

AMD XP1800
GeForce2 64
215 megs of ram
onboard sound

Here's something that I thought was in my head, but maybe it will work for you too...  when I changed the slider to "performance" I swear everything got worse for me. But when I restored the defaults, my FPS came back up.

I hope you get it worked out.

-Sik

Sikboy I know your trying to help. And i am most thankfull for that.
As for the Slider settings.. I have had them set at default and have returned them to default a number of times. In short.. I have had the all over the frickin spectrum. LOL
I have accepted the fact that i wont be able to play AH2 like i did AH1 and im ok with that. No i dont like it...but thats tuff cookies. I can survive it.  As CO of the 444th Air Mafia (Mafia Wizeguys and Enforcers) I have a commitment and a duty to fullfill. I will be at my post in AH2. I will run squad ops from the tower.  As for me personally doing the JABO and Dogfighting? Im simply NOT going to be able to participate effectively. Oh sure i will try from time to time and im going to lose the edge in any dogfight i may have had and finally git shot down (A LOT!) Yes...even more than i do now, like dat's possible. :rofl   Everytime i git d400 from a bogey's Six in AH2, I git that sickening 1 to 2.5 seond screen freeze. This is whats is most suspect from my view. Its like theres some modeling/setting/texture or something signifigant about the closing on an NME plane. And NO its not the first time my PC had loaded the Skin.  As for the time i spend on non squad nights in AH2. Well...i have noticed that i have already lost intrest in AH1 knowing AH2 is all but here :( Nope...i guess i dont like change for the most part. Otherwise i would have left AH for something else a long time ago, changes or no changes. Frankly i tend to agree with Beetle about the changes, they are just not powerfull enough for me to rave over. Im sure id feel somewhat differently if everything ran smoothly on my machine. But it doesnt and i dont. Still the new look is not what i expected either. I will continue to tinker around with settings 5,000 times. As its just my nature and im a stubborn coot. :D
Thanks for the effort sir :aok
« Last Edit: June 05, 2004, 10:12:24 AM by Mugzeee »

Offline Glasses

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2004, 02:11:52 PM »
I hope they lose those flying midgets that kept stealing my flying juice away!  :mad: