Author Topic: My Daughter Returned  (Read 2098 times)

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
      • http://www.redtail.org
My Daughter Returned
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2004, 10:15:00 AM »
Originally posted by deSelys
Mmmh better not go to Belgium. We might eat her you know... Some of us stopped to be antropophagi just 30 generations ago...

:aok

never been to Belgium officially, but I stopped there for several hours OTW to Prague in december. Wow, I needed a commuter flight to get to the other terminal, but the beer/food/chocolate was great, too bad I didn't have time to see the rest of the country .

Storch, I do believe you should try to get out more, and stop worrying about how superior one group is to the next, there are actually wonderful things about europe that we don't have the freedom to do here. Just like we have wonderful things here not availablein europe...oh well.

Who knows, maybe you have this thing against beautiful topless women, I don't, but hey, that's just me (guess that makes me a pino commie liberal...lol)...And for the record, I have yet to see any women in europe any harier than women here. Maybe you're just looking at men? :D

storch

My Daughter Returned
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2004, 10:16:43 AM »
Originally posted by deSelys
Mmmh better not go to Belgium. We might eat her you know... Some of us stopped to be antropophagi just 30 generations ago...

I tried to warn her about the whole of that continent but she wouldn't listen and subsequently had a nice time.  what am I to do?  But at least she thinks you guys are politically challenged. :)

Offline Hawklore

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
My Daughter Returned
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2004, 10:37:02 AM »
Hey, she looking for a young man? Pics? :rofl
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.
Trouble no one about their religion;
respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours.
Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life." - Chief Tecumseh

storch

My Daughter Returned
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2004, 10:38:44 AM »
Originally posted by Red Tail 444
:aok

never been to Belgium officially, but I stopped there for several hours OTW to Prague in december. Wow, I needed a commuter flight to get to the other terminal, but the beer/food/chocolate was great, too bad I didn't have time to see the rest of the country .

Storch, I do believe you should try to get out more, and stop worrying about how superior one group is to the next, there are actually wonderful things about europe that we don't have the freedom to do here. Just like we have wonderful things here not availablein europe...oh well.

Who knows, maybe you have this thing against beautiful topless women, I don't, but hey, that's just me (guess that makes me a pino commie liberal...lol)...And for the record, I have yet to see any women in europe any harier than women here. Maybe you're just looking at men? :D

Quick anecdote, we step off of our ship USS Bigelow (DD942) in Ville Franche, just got off of the 0400-0800 watch and it's Saturday morning.  For us it's lunch time.  We go to this bistro right on the beach on a small peninsula and are drinking beer.  One guy was just looking straight down by the railing and not participating in the conversation.  We go look over where he's at and two very fine ladies are sunbathing topless.  This is 1977, unheard of stuff for me.  Yes that was a fine weekend.  Also enjoyed Mallorca.  We were docked at the dique del oeste in Palma and there were many good clubs not too far away.  But far and away my favorite place in europe had to be San Remo, then Sicily followed by Venice.  I really liked Italy, lots of Swedish tourists there in the winter.

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
My Daughter Returned
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2004, 10:41:08 AM »
Originally posted by storch
Quick anecdote, we step off of our ship USS Bigelow (DD942) in Ville Franche, just got off of the 0400-0800 watch and it's Saturday morning.  For us it's lunch time.  We go to this bistro right on the beach on a small peninsula and are drinking beer.  One guy was just looking straight down by the railing and not participating in the conversation.  We go look over where he's at and two very fine ladies are sunbathing topless.  This is 1977, unheard of stuff for me.  Yes that was a fine weekend.  Also enjoyed Mallorca.  We were docked at the dique del oeste in Palma and there were many good clubs not too far away.  But far and away my favorite place in europe had to be San Remo, then Sicily followed by Venice.  I really liked Italy, lots of Swedish tourists there in the winter.

Try Iceland next time...probably my favorite place outside the US...

storch

My Daughter Returned
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2004, 10:44:16 AM »
Try Iceland next time...probably my favorite place outside the US...

Never been and have heard that from many people,  also heard that there were some springs where the water is almost boiling hot and people bathed there by mixing in snow or something.  Is that so?

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
My Daughter Returned
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2004, 11:03:11 AM »
NO thats a TOTAL PR stunt...

Truth is, you are bathing in a cooling pool for one of their larger powerplants, although the superheated water activates the healing / cleansing properties in the volcanic rock.

http://www.bluelagoon.is/english/.

Companies in the US would never get away with this, but there's much more freedom there from Govt intervention than here, you don't even see disclaimers around clearly life-threatening sotuations, like the geyser and several waterfalls..if you die, it's not their problem :)

Much more conservative than most other countries, and the fishing is amazing, but pretty expensive. if you can sneak onto the Salmon River, it's worth the risk.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2004, 11:05:23 AM by Red Tail 444 »

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
My Daughter Returned
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2004, 11:57:23 AM »
there are actually wonderful things about europe that we don't have the freedom to do here. Just like we have wonderful things here not availablein europe...oh well.

hmm....doubt there is anything you can do that we cant actually. Can you name a few?

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
My Daughter Returned
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2004, 12:15:19 PM »
funny hats? :D
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
My Daughter Returned
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2004, 12:22:48 PM »
Originally posted by Nilsen
hmm....doubt there is anything you can do that we cant actually. Can you name a few?

Well here, we have the option of a flat rate for internet service, that wasn't the case (in Czech Republic). I think here we have a wider selection of foods and beverages to select from, and although ths is a consumer based response, these are some of the things I think the US has over some european countries...not that more choices of bad food is a bonus...just my opinion.

I think we have far more bad cable tv shows...and stations. I haven't been to every country overseas, so my scope is a bit limited, and I concede that. I think it's a bit easier to travel here, especially if you have a car.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
My Daughter Returned
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2004, 12:32:10 PM »
Well here, we have the option of a flat rate for internet service, that wasn't the case (in Czech Republic). I think here we have a wider selection of foods and beverages to select from, and although ths is a consumer based response, these are some of the things I think the US has over some european countries...not that more choices of bad food is a bonus...just my opinion.

I think we have far more bad cable tv shows...and stations. I haven't been to every country overseas, so my scope is a bit limited, and I concede that. I think it's a bit easier to travel here, especially if you have a car.

By flat rate internet services i suppose you mean broadband with fixed monthly prices....we have had that for a long time.
More food/beverage brands...yes, prolly.
More TV channels...yes you do, by a good margin if you mean channels that "speak" your language (english).
Travelling by car is alot easyer than here in norway anyway because of the geography.

storch

My Daughter Returned
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2004, 01:00:53 PM »
Originally posted by Nilsen
By flat rate internet services i suppose you mean broadband with fixed monthly prices....we have had that for a long time.
More food/beverage brands...yes, prolly.
More TV channels...yes you do, by a good margin if you mean channels that "speak" your language (english).
Travelling by car is alot easyer than here in norway anyway because of the geography.

what about the funny hats??

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
My Daughter Returned
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2004, 01:23:31 PM »
Yes, we can wear funny hats :D

Offline stegor

• Nickel Member
My Daughter Returned
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2004, 05:25:08 PM »
....have had an impact on her world view that no amount of my explaining could have ever accomplished

That's for sure, no doubt

:D

About  all the other amenities ....well..... ohh....umpf...."our ways"....ohh...never mind,   masta ;)
Nibbio
4° Stormo C.T. "F. Baracca"

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
My Daughter Returned
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2004, 06:56:16 PM »
Originally posted by storch
We have travelled abroad frequently but not since our eldest daughter was 14 years of age.  She is now 24 and decided to take a european trip on her own.  With apprehension and misgiving I consented and granted my permission (helped out with some of her expenses).  She visited Madrid where we have friends and relatives and Sevilla where her Grandmother lives currently.

I am pleased to report that I have a true American for a daughter, Thank God.

She can now appreciate the superiority of our system and our ways.  I'm glad she took this trip as an adult, those two weeks in southern europe have had an impact on her world view that no amount of my explaining could have ever accomplished.

I think that I will send my other children on their own to europe as they reach 25 years of age.

What a great place for young Americans to learn what not to be like.  It really wouldn't have mattered much where she visited as you guys are pretty much the same politically speaking.

Storch, that post is very revealing about you unless this is a very clever troll. I don't know quite how to take it.  

First off you say YOU gave permission to your married daughter of 24 to travel to Spain.  You then said YOU will send your other children aged 25 to Europe. Are you kidding? At 24 she's a full grown adult and a married woman????????????????   :(  Has she moved out of your house yet??

This is not criticism, just an observation. You seem very controlling and patriarchal. LOL

Also to say the 'we' are pretty much the same politically is absurd. Spain is about as different politically and culturally from my country as is Mexico is from the USA. Europe is not all the same. Every country has it's peculiarities, good and bad.  The Spanish work different hours, eat at different times, eat different foods and see the world differently to most other countries. They are anything but typical.  The Spanish really know what life is about in my opinion and seem to live it to the full. I've been to Seville recently. I hope she saw it the way I did.

I think the USA is wonderful but not superior politically or whatever to my country, just different. You are entitled to think that though. Most of the countries of the world think they are the greatest country there is. It's called patriotism.

You say you travelled. If all it did was to confirm your prejudices then I suggest you stay home from now on. In your case travel, it seems, did not broaden the mind.

I think this is a troll because in later posts you admit liking Italy which in truth is probably the most chaotic country in Europe politically. It's full of Communists and every other 'ism' known to man.  But like the Spanish the Italians love life and food and their kids.