Author Topic: WW2OL's new terrain: WOW  (Read 810 times)

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
WW2OL's new terrain: WOW
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2004, 02:54:07 PM »
Originally posted by CyranoAH

I'm playing in a squad (250 Hispana, 30+ members, good coordination).
I'm trying to get into it.
Daniel

How about telling your squad that official language in "Origin" is english. People are getting tired to listen Spaniards using origin as their chat ch.

Thank you.

1. 1.Panzerdivision, XIX Panzerkorps, 12.Armee, HGA
2. 1PD/kg1
3. 1PD/kg2
7. Kriegsmarine Channel
10. 10.Panzerdivision, XXIII Armeekorps, 12.Armee, HGA
11. 10PD/kg1
12. 10PD/kg2
13. 13.Infanteriedivision (mot), XIV Armeekorps, 18.Armee, HGB
14. 2.Infanteriedivision (mot), XXXIX Panzerkorps, 18.Armee, HGB
15. 2MID/kg1
16. 2MID/kg2
17. Kriegsmarine Channel
18. Luftflotte 1
19. 4.Armee, Heeresgruppe A (XV Panzerkorps, XLI Panzerkorps)
20. 2.Panzerdivision, XIX Panzerkorps, 12.Armee, HGA
21. 2PD/kg1
22. 2PD/kg2
23. 13MID/kg1
24. 29.Infanteriedivision (mot), XIV Armeekorps, 18.Armee, HGB
25. 29MID/kg1
26. 29MID/kg2
27. Kriegsmarine Channel
28. Luftflotte 2
29. 12.Armee, Heeresgruppe A (XIX Panzerkorps, XXIII Armeekorps)
30. 3.Panzerdivision, XVI Panzerkorps, 6.Armee, HGB
31. 3PD/kg1
32. 3PD/kg2
33. 13MID/kg2
34. Spanish community channel
37. Kriegsmarine Channel
38. Luftflotte 3
39. 18.Armee, Heeresgruppe B (XXXIX Panzerkorps, XIV Armeekorps)
40. 4.Panzerdivision, XVI Panzerkorps, 6.Armee, HGB
41. 4PD/kg1
42. 4PD/kg2
43. 5.Leichte Infanteriedivision, I Armeekorps, 6.Armee, HGB
47. Kriegsmarine Common
48. Luftflotte 4
49. 6.Armee, Heeresgruppe B (XVI Panzerkorps, I Armeekorps)
50. 5.Panzerdivision, XV Panzerkorps, 4.Armee, HGA
51. 5PD/kg1
52. 5PD/kg2
53. 5LID/kg1
54. 15.Infanteriedivision (mot), XXIII Armeekorps, 12.Armee, HGA
55. 15MID/kg1
56. 15MID/kg2
57. French community channel
60. 6.Panzerdivision, XV Panzerkorps, 4.Armee, HGA
61. 6PD/kg1
62. 6PD/kg2
63. 5LID/kg2
64. Finnish community channel
65. Luftwaffe Strategisches Luftwaffenkommando (SLWK)
66. Hungarian community channel
67. LW SLWK Kg53
68. LW SLWK Kg28
70. 7.Panzerdivision, XLI Panzerkorps, 4.Armee, HGA
71. 7.PD/kg1
72. 7.PD/kg2
73. 11.Infanteriedivision, I Armeekorps, 6.Armee, HGB
77. Kriegsmarine Channel
80. 8.Panzerdivision, XLI Panzerkorps, 4.Armee, HGA
81. 8.PD/kg1
82. 8.PD/kg2
83. 11ID/kg1
87. Luftflotte 2 Geschwader 1
90. 9.Panzerdivision, XXXIX Panzerkorps, 18.Armee, HGB
91. 9PD/kg1
92. 9PD/kg2
93. 11ID/kg2
97. RDP Factory Defense
99. OKW Training Channel... new players come here for help!

Offline icemaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2004, 02:57:18 PM »
Anyone else get the Welcome back soldier email? Giving us another 2 week free trial. Well my old password doesnt work any more so I email support stating I needed my password reset so I can take advantage of the trial. 13 days later I get a email back telling me that my password will be reset and emailed to me in 48 hours. Well there goes the the 2 week free trial.  Their customer support is a friggin JOKE.  Too bad too cause I really wanted to give it another try the ground terrian is really looking good.

Oh well screw um they still owe me 45 duckets for that piece of crud game they sold me.
Army of Das Muppets     
Member DFC Furballers INC. If you cant piss with big dogs go run with the pack

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2004, 03:14:11 PM »
Originally posted by GtoRA2
Does the flight model still blow goats?

Yes. But its the "battle" thats fun.

I don't know why CRS went for a terrain update, theres so much more they could work on.

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2004, 03:20:53 PM »
tere was this old miscosoft motocross game that came hidden on the win98 disc. the demo of that game had better textures, and better "curves" or whatever LOL

seriously, those patches of color look like they were done with a crayon tool in MS paint or something.

these posts come around every few months, and i truly feel sorry for the fanboys of those other games. they love it and are trying to promote it or something, and we stomp all over them. it is almost sad to see how evil the flurry of rips are, and how fast they come, and here i joined it lol. now i feel sad.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2004, 03:23:50 PM by JB73 »
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline Pooh21

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2004, 03:21:06 PM »
ye cods that terrian is craptacular. I can throw something better then that togeter with USGS dmas and Vue4 demo in less then 5 minutes
Bis endlich der Fiend am Boden liegt.
Bis Bishland bis Bishland bis Bishland wird besiegt!

Offline 1K0N

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2004, 03:30:11 PM »
I remember the WW2online days....
Sit down after walking all day.
Launch WW2online
Spend 30 minutes searching for some fun
Spend 2 hours walking to a destination only to be killed by an unseen enemy..
Of course I exagerated about 30 minutes of that.

Ohh yeah theres the planes that you can fly...?! except at 3FPS I have troubles not hitting the ground..

Though the pictures of the Sheep in the screen shot make WW2online more appealing now :O

IKON

Offline CyranoAH

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2004, 03:48:11 PM »
Originally posted by Staga
How about telling your squad that official language in "Origin" is english. People are getting tired to listen Spaniards using origin as their chat ch.

Thank you.

Sorry, not in there anymore.

Oh, and I also find the chat system cumbersome.

Daniel

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2004, 04:19:52 PM »
Originally posted by 1K0N
I remember the WW2online days....
Sit down after walking all day.
Launch WW2online
Spend 30 minutes searching for some fun
Spend 2 hours walking to a destination only to be killed by an

It's a hard place for noobs...
Once learns it, gets some kills before dies, or RTB's with kills.

Takes generally longer to get into the action, but at least not every corner is the same and you don't know whether theres enemy ambushing on the route or where they are in the objective
..or alternatively player can ambush others.

Thats what makes it exciting for me.. theres room to do different things.

Offline acepilot2

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2004, 05:41:09 PM »
still looks smoother and better than AHII terrain imo, plus it has way better foliage. Ignoring the textures, IMO its better terrain than ahII...

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2004, 06:06:25 PM »
i try hard to enjoy ww2ol but i just don't (i finally got it working now, no thanks to CRS).

Whenever i have come back to ww2ol the gameplay is still the same... and thats what i don't like about it.  When i come back i usually play it for several days, then i just get start getting annoyed by the game.  They could spend years making the game look pretty and i wouldn't like the game any better.

My gripes are mainly these-

The 32 limit (or is it 64?) and it's biasing.  For me this completely destroys the game.    
 I assumed this bug was squashed but on my 1st misison the bedford that i was riding in blinked out, so i fell to the floor, then it blinked back a couple of seconds later.... leaving me stranded in the middle of nowhere.

I'm also seeing the ID circles but no vehicle/plane.... how the bloody hell am i supposed to shoot them??  I also see warp in general with planes so that does't really matter anyway.

Not getting awarded kills.  This annoys me like crazy.  Half the time i don't get kills even tho i see blood on enemy infantry and they fall down and despawn.  But i manage to get a kill awarded on a panzer IV as a rifleman just taking pot shots at it. (the commander wasn't up, i was just trying to get it's attention away from a sapper).

The gameplay for me is just not to my taste either.  Far too much sitting around doing nothing.  For me it's an fun as watching Big Brother on TV.

When CRS starts to look to improve gameplay rather than graphics i'll guess i'll have another go.
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2004, 07:16:24 PM »
Originally posted by acepilot2
still looks smoother and better than AHII terrain imo, plus it has way better foliage. Ignoring the textures, IMO its better terrain than ahII...

Thats because its visibility is extremely limited, around 3 miles. Compared to the up to 17 miles AH2 does. So in WW2OL they're rendering a 9 mile square area around you, AH2 can render 289 square miles around you, thats 32 times as much terrain. And on my PC AH2 does it at 1.5x the resolution and double the framerate.

Of course from the ground it works well. But from the air its horrible. CRS are going to have immense problems with later war fighters, a 400mph fighter covers that 3 mile visibility limit in less than 30 seconds.

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2004, 07:18:13 PM »
Pretty much only smart thing is to fight there where isn't good part of the players killing each other and thereby avoid 32 limitation problems.
It seems to be really 32, not 64.. I bet 64 would make a difference of day and night.

IMO there shouldn't be scores at all, it was more fun without the scores and better yet, nobody complained back then about getting kills :D
scores just...  attracts... me.. into.. score .. whooring... dont want it anymore!
Had already more than my fair share of it back in the days :D

Vulcan,

Better FPS? must have something to do with far simplier ground detail requirements of AH enviroment ;)

I'd like to be able to see planes from longer distances though..
Currently it tops out at about 5km.. maybe 6km, where from you'll see them barely with good binocs.
Shouldn't be too hard to see a bomber up in the sky from +6km
« Last Edit: June 16, 2004, 07:25:32 PM by Fishu »

Offline Lizking

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2004, 07:53:09 PM »

Put this texture on that map(actually, this is old, the new tress look better), to imagine.

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2004, 08:15:32 PM »
Well regardless what you guess say I'm enjoying both games. To each their own. They both haves something to offer.

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2004, 09:30:56 PM »
Well, I have complained about the flight model alot. As a noob in the axis airforce you must fly 110's against hurcs, and it sux. But I will say this about it, you do have engine management, which I think is very nice, and your views are limited, making a dogfight quite a rush. I have become a Lieutenant in the airforce and have access to the good 109's, and those fair much better against spits and hurcs. Dive bombing with stukas can be a blast too. Went on a strategic bombing mission into England last night in 111's, had a blast. Didn't know how to bomb, but I crewed with a guy who didn't have rank to fly a bomber but knew how to bomb, worked out great. When you get rank, it becomes alot better. I think they have too many bombers to my liking, and I say that because there is no weather to impede them, they bomb at will unless you have aa around to help.

The naval part of the game really has my interest, but I can't gain any rank because there are never any missions posted. I have crewed with a destroyer a few times, and it is a blast, I can't wait to gain rank to spawn one. I really would like to see the day they bring in battleships and carriers. That will be very interesting, but seems to be a long way off, for carriers anyway.

I am a Colonel in the axis army and the one thing that I am not is bored. Getting the noobs organized is the most fun for me. They are really lost when they come into the game, and with all the prima donnas and lack of a good comms system, they don't get much help. You can't get anything done alone alone in ww2online, if you try to do that, you will just become frustrated. I suggest joining a squad as soon as you can to learn the game.That's the one thing I think Aces High has over everyone else, a built in voice comms, it doesn't get any better than that. Each side has it's own private teamspeak server, but if you are not in a squad, you do not have access to it. I have a teamspeak server I use to train noobs, if you want access, send me an email.

In aces high you can go out solo and have some fun, in ww2online you will find it to be quite the opposite. You cannot capture a city with 3-5 players, it takes a large effort and alot of teamwork.

Every game has it's pros and cons. I think ww2online is a good game, but I think it is going rather slow. I hope it isn't another 3 years before another front opens up, and don't forget, all other fronts have to open before the pacific will(my favorite one!). I thought I read that africa may come out this year, I hope so.
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)