Author Topic: Video card memory bleed  (Read 1811 times)

Offline FBScud

• Copper Member
Video card memory bleed
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2004, 09:13:30 PM »
This is by no means a flame at all.  I respect the crew here who have done a great job with AHII.  But...when I watch my video memory bleed down over time...would that not be a memory leak?  I am in no way, shape or form an IT person.  I know just enough to get me in trouble.  But, again, when I watch the available vid memory on a 128 meg card disappear...that says video memory leak to me.  I have adjusted to the 256 texture loading as suggested.  But as someone else said, that merely slows the leak, it doesn't fix it.  Again, I hate to suggest that HiTech could be wrong here...his expertise far exceeds what little knowledge I have, but this sure looks like a memory leak.  My card?  ATI 9600XT (128 meg)...who'd have guessed its an ATI card....

Offline Kwan

• Nickel Member
Video card memory bleed
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2004, 09:53:56 PM »
Same problem here... Quick fix..Thx to my squaddie Edbert :)

Alt tab out and then back.... Video memory used resets completely.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2004, 07:16:47 AM by Kwan »

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
Video card memory bleed
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2004, 11:15:56 PM »
Hmmmmm....

My specs are in my sig block....

Since this latest patch my Vid mem is 251.9....used is 251.9....never EVER had anything this close...and this is while looking up in the air....perhaps there is a problem....all my squaddies are experiencing the same thing....

Any suggestions?

:confused:

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
Video card memory bleed
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2004, 11:17:41 PM »
Ok I tried the alt tab thing and for some reason it worked fine...will keep monitoring this.....seems very odd.....perhaps a bug with the way that the vidmem is being reported?

Regards

Offline MOSQ

• Silver Member
Video card memory bleed
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2004, 11:50:08 PM »
No leaks for me. I thought there might be one the other day, but since them it's been rock stable. I haven't even rebooted my PC in three days.

Asylum Nvidia FX-5200 128 MB Ultra o/clocked, Win 98 SE. 1024x768 res, High (16 bit) color. AA and AF Off.

Registers 130 MB, used is usually around 70.

The only change I've made was turnig AA off. Maybe some of ya'll should give that a shot. May just be a coincidence.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2004, 11:54:45 PM by MOSQ »

Offline Paxil

• Copper Member
      • http://marathontoathens.blogspot.com
Video card memory bleed
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2004, 12:21:12 AM »
I am certainly NOT running out of video memory... so that isn't what is causing my crash (which is pretty rare). It does seem to go up slightly at times, but I wouldn't necessarily say there is a leak. Crashes might not have anything to do with video... might be  sound thing... I haven't seen enough of a pattern yet.

Offline Rockport

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.survivorsport.com
Video card memory bleed
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2004, 12:25:48 AM »
Well I just updated my NVidia Drivers as well as my Monitor drivers and although I did not get a CTD I did see my VidMem still climbing after remaining on for an hour....

I play quite a few video and memory intensive online games and this is the first one where I have seen my Video Memory frame rate evaporate like this...  I never saw this performance on AH1....

I plan to hang in there through July and see if it improves but I can't justify paying a monthly fee for a PC game I can't play for more than an hour without a reboot...

Offline AKcurly

• Silver Member
Video card memory bleed
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2004, 02:04:30 AM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
I have found the exact same thing while flying last night.

Mem avail was like 91.3 and Mem used was 91. At this point, the text buffer went blank and my HUD gunsight was completely white. Shortly after that I CTDed.

My card also has 128 Meg onboard. I am not seeing the same Memory used now in AH II as I did in AH II Beta. Beta was using in the 120Meg range.

I had exactly the same thing happen, Slapshot, with one small difference.  I noticed my p51 skin had changed back to the default skin.  I reselected my skin, usage jumped from 71 meg to 91 meg and I CTEded shortly thereafter.

curly

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Video card memory bleed
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2004, 08:44:55 AM »
Logged in last night and noted that 117M was available and the used was much less.

Played for about an hour when I started to realize that framerates were declining and the video became very jerky at times. Especially around fields that had a lot of GVs on the airfield.

Not to long after that, I lost my text buffer display. At this point, the Vid Mem avail was 92.5 (down from 117 ... this I don't understand) and the used was 92.3. Rather than wait for the CTD, I quit and came back in. At this point, I would have thought that the avail mem would have bee 117 again, but instead, it was still 92.5

I am using an ATI Radeon 9500 128M onboard. My sound acceleration has always been turned down to 3/4.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline sickbird

• Zinc Member
Video card memory bleed
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2004, 10:38:48 AM »
I had a CTD last night that definitely wasn't related to memory bleed.  It just happened, no warning, no high video memory usage.

This was better than previous nights --- probably because I turned my graphics detail down to 256 as a work around.  The one bad result is that I cannot see the ACK Guns on the ACK Pad.  That and I crashed into the ground the first couple of flights until I got used to the terrain.  Other than that it seems OK.

It seems like AH2 is using an inordinate amount of video memory.  Even if this isn't a leak -- it still seems like it could be problematic.  What should be the expected behavior once video memory is exhausted.  Would older items be purged based on an LRU (least recently used) algorithm?

I had updated my driver when I first went into AH2 to fix the black radar icon problem, so I wouldn't think I have a driver issue.

Hopefully, this will all get sorted out soon.

Offline TalonX

• Silver Member
Video card memory bleed
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2004, 12:30:57 PM »
Sickbird,

You can tell you are a software person!

Hitech has explained this under another thread.    You are right, the system is trying to purge as you said....but somehow the text buffer gets the ax (among other things).

Anyway - according to Hitech's post, Patch 3 should fix this problemo.
-TalonX

Forgotten, but back in the game.  :)

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Re: Video card memory bleed
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2004, 02:00:02 AM »
Originally posted by TalonX
Several in my squad have noticed that the memory card useage increases slowly with time.   It starts around 50 Meg and increases slowly (over 1 hour or two) to something around 90 Megs.  (This is on 128 Meg cards).   Once the memory useage gets above 90, we have seen CTD's, loss of text buffer, gunsight turning to a white box, tower glitches, etc.

Skuzzy - worth a look?

Latest update.
Experianced my first CDT but not untill after some events too place.

First part of the night had trouble keeping framerate above 32 then gradualy is got better. hen one flight I upped and my gunsight was white. Alt tabbed out hoping this would fix it.
It did not. so I augered and grabbed a new plane Gunsight was ok.
 next few flights experianced alot of pauses & freezups but framerate climbed above 50.
then finaly after the first decent flight I had all night After my 3rd kill the entire gamescreen froze in midflight and someones voce on vox kept repeating like a boken record.
Eventually I went cdt.
Reloaded the game and was able to fly the rest of the night but still with alot of pauses  or momentary freezefrmes and saw alot of warping
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty