Author Topic: Half the fun it used to be  (Read 4215 times)

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
Half the fun it used to be
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2004, 07:12:16 PM »
Originally posted by mars01
 "I'm not as great as I was, Whaaaaaaaa" lol.  Guess what, if you were you would adjust and keep kicking prettythang:D

And kickin and kickin  :)
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2004, 07:19:33 PM »
I'd like to try to adjust.  Unfortunately I get booted so much that I have a hard time getting enough time in to learn.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2004, 07:23:09 PM »
LOL Drea.

Yeah that's a decent whine Steve!  Sorry to hear your having CTD problems.  I have been getting them 2 three times a night and that sucks I could just imagine how pissed I'd be if it were worse.

Offline Cobra412

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2004, 07:31:23 PM »
There is a site out there that has old WWII training videos on it that you can buy or watch previews which last about 25 minutes.  It covers the Pony in it and from what I saw on it the Pony could depart abruptly but it was almost always recoverable depending on your alt whether it was power on or off stalls.  

Here's the site.Zenos Warbirds

Offline brendo

• Copper Member
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2004, 07:35:52 PM »
Hi Scramble . Give em hell :D hehehehehe

Offline FT_Animal

• Nickel Member
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2004, 09:12:02 PM »
I wonder how many RL pilots got kills at 800-1200 yds.

IMO gunnery in ALL sims is easier then RL. You had to be a lot closer then most think to make your weapons count.

And I have to tag along on this post a little. 50-60% of the players have no idea what SA or ACM is. And it's exactly has he put it. It's gamers gaming a game. I saw very little actual ACM when I flew AH.

The new model, as I understand it, because I read, has more surfaces to work off of, so yes it would be more precise as long as programmed accurately.

MANY, MANY players didn't fly it as a sim but flew it as a game and took advantages of every little flaw that would help their point mongering ars. In other words, don pee on my leg and tell me it's raining.

That's a simple basic fact of life, like it or not.

AH1 was FULL of game breakers, and the ones that say "NO NO NO" are prolly the ones who took the most advantage of flaws = game breaking.

One of THE biggest reasons I quit AH1, I love the game, but most fo the actual play made me ill.

While I don't agree 100% with the post it is in the ball park of accurate statements.

All you have to really do is look at the personas replying, the rest is common sense.

I hope AH2 weeds out most of the game breakers, because now it's more of a flight sim and they just might not be able to handle it. ;-)

The only equal advantage in a game is not ONLY the brain, it's what the brain KNOWS and how to take advantage of what it knows, like how a flaw can help your monger points.

The only difference is the brain is nonsense, it's also how deviate/dishonest the brain is as well.

Anim

Offline FT_Animal

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2004, 09:14:55 PM »
Originally posted by Waffle BAS
anyone got any sniper training?

I do, but what's that red dot on your nose?

Anim

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2004, 10:52:59 PM »
Well i'll be damned,  looks like the same new-aged furballers have transferred into AH2..

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2004, 10:57:23 PM »
Anim, I replied to this thread, just exactly how was I a gamebreaker?
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline MetaTron

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2004, 11:15:49 PM »
Originally posted by Steve
Ponytard, what is your in-game name?   The gunnery definitely favors slower planes as you must be closer and often have a longer gun solution to score a kill.  This is really playing havoc w/ me as I made a nice career out of high speed slashing style snapshots and short gun solutions on roped turnfighters. So in this factor I agree that AHII negatively impacts pony pilots and aids turnfighters.

I'm not trying to gang up on you Pony but I have made no mention of the pony's flight modeling in the form  of a complaint.
I'm still  formulating an opinion to be honest.  The other day I fought a very competent La7 pilot(he came in high) to a stalemate and was able to keep him from out turning me( he ended up augering after an extended turn fight).  I'm still deciding about its' very slow speed handling.

Steve, IMO the flight model changes favor the P51. I don't have a problem with gunnery, either, once I got used to it. It seems to me the pony has been 'freed up' a tad.

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2004, 11:50:36 PM »
Ya know alot of people came here from a RR or relaxed realism enviornment.WW2ol  ewwwww The old favorite Air Warrior,Fighter ace where men were men in comfortable shoes,and Crimson Skies.The epitomy of ease.Now I could spout a plethora of reasons....wait a minute...did I just sucessfully use Plethora in a sent? But it all boils down to one thing.Some people are not only more resigned to a RR enviornment,but they like it more than something that AH2 has evolved into.A more realistic enviornment.Now I make no bonz,Im playing H2H for the time,but I flew beta and I like what its become.More pilot awareness involved.More Immersion.Some people arent going to like that.So be it.To each there own.Diffrent strokes for diffrent folks.Let em go.But let them go in PEACE for gods sake/Its not there thing.
Just my 2 cuervos
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2004, 11:58:45 PM »
I'm not sure I quite understand what everyone is arguing about.

AH2 is a definite improvement - at least, if our perception of reality, as lacking in experience as we all are, is to be based on what data we can collect from testimonies, anecdotes and logical analysis of numbers.

As far as the original, thread-starting post goes, I'm no pony expert but I have been constantly amazed by what they can do - as now the P-51s are more than a challenge to anything which flies against it. In those times I fly the P-51 I am sincerely in respect and understanding, that why it was considered such a supreme fighter in many ways - a feeling I did not have in AH1.

The gunnery does not favor slower planes at all, and to think so is a huge mistake. I am not suggesting I'm an authority when it comes to this issue, but I have observed very carefully which factors can effect gunnery in what ways, and where the key differences between real life and game environment lies at.

Getting directly to the point, AH2 is now a true-blue, 1945 game, because with the changes in various issues with gunnery, the slower and more maneuverable planes rarely ever have a chance of coming within 600 yards of their target. Accelerating away safely from a slower plane from 400 yards, in some cases even close as 200, is not a rare thing in AH2 now - as compared to AH1 where one would be so harassed by its long-range gunnery out to at least 600 yards.

It is true, that the shortened 'effective range' of gunnery effects some planes in more profound ways, and certainly a big minus to those who made it their style to take snapshots to quickly down planes. But overall it can be said that how it is now, is in so many ways much closer to what it may have been in real-life.

* The convergence issues, differences between wing armament and center-line armament, different effects between HMG armed planes and cannon armed planes are much more pronounced in AH2.

* The killing ranges are down to much more reasonable levels.

* Why "speed" was such an important factor, is also very perceivable than compared to AH1 - where as long as there was alt advantage, any slow plane can shoot a lower one by dropping down and getting inside 600~700 yards, and sniping them out of the sky.

(Also, it more or less closes the long debate concerning the " pilot experience factor" being a key issue in gunnery, when it comes to comparing real life and game enviroment - but this, is another story).

In very many ways the claimed 'neutering' of P-51 is simply false. Anything the P-51 has suffered in AH2, other planes have suffered at least more than two-fold. The impact of gunnery was much less felt to some planes, typically Luftwaffe type fighters, but this is because they were already limited to more or less historic ranges in AH1.

If such a change, ultimately beneficial in creating a more realistic, authentic, and heart-pounding game play experience, is so terrible in the fact that it is the only reason someone should quit playing the game, then I'm very sorry to say that perhaps that person should not be playing a game of the simulation genre in the first place.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 12:01:56 AM by Kweassa »

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2004, 12:09:26 AM »
I'm no pony expert but I have been constantly amazed by what they can do - as now the P-51s are more than a challenge to anything which flies against it. In those times I fly the P-51 I am sincerely in respect and understanding, that why it was considered such a supreme fighter in many ways - a feeling I did not have in AH1.

Yep, the Pony is greatness now.

But I have flown a 109...

I rode in a 109.

Offline twitchy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2004, 12:21:55 AM »
Originally posted by Cobra412
There is a site out there that has old WWII training videos on it that you can buy or watch previews which last about 25 minutes.  It covers the Pony in it and from what I saw on it the Pony could depart abruptly but it was almost always recoverable depending on your alt whether it was power on or off stalls.  

Here's the site.Zenos Warbirds

http://WWW.Pigsonthewing.org used to have a link to some of those training films on our site, the one on the F4U1D was really cool!
Founder & CO
Pigs on the Wing
Oinking Bases since 2000 AD

Offline _Schadenfreude_

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Re: Half the fun it used to be
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2004, 12:35:26 AM »
Originally posted by PonyTard
the P51D YOU WOULD BE ALL BE BUTT HURT CRYING.  

okokok I need another translation what exactly does this mean?