Author Topic: System Questionnaire  (Read 5475 times)

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
System Questionnaire
« on: July 04, 2004, 12:40:49 PM »
We'd appreciate it if some of you could take the time to fill out the following questionnaire, particularly if you're having problems.  We're trying to gather as much information as possible to narrow down why some people are having problems.  Please answer as much as you can or if you're not sure  how to check something in particular, ask and I can provide specific instructions.  Please keep your responses concise and to the questionnaire so we can process the information efficiently.  Thanks for your help.

If you live in the DFW area and are experiencing severe problems, we'd be very interested in taking a look at your system.  If you fit this profile and are interested in this, please contact us.

=================

System Questionnaire

1-   Are you having problems with stutters in Patch 5?  If yes, please describe the frequency, conditions, and severity with which they occur and specify when you began having the problem.  If no, please specify whether you had a problem in the past with AH2 and what version or change to your system alleviated it.

2-   Are you having CTD’s in Patch 5?  If yes, please describe the frequency and conditions of the CTD’s and whether this began or intensified with Patch 5.  If no, did you experience CTD’s before Patch 5?

3-   Are you having a problem with low frame-rate in Patch 5?  If yes, please describe your video settings and detail sliders along with your framerate from the tower in offline mode with your clipboard minimized.  If no, were you having framerate problems prior to Patch 5 or did you see an improvement in this area with Patch 5?

4-   What version of Windows are you using?

5-   What is your CPU brand and speed?

6-   What is your motherboard make and model if known?

7-   What is your video card make and model?  Please include amount of memory and whether it is AGP or PCI.

8-   How much RAM does your system have?

9-    What make and version are your video drivers?

10-   What level is your anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering set to in you video card setup?

11-   What make and model is your soundcard?

12-   What level is your sound hardware acceleration set to?

13-   What firewall program or router do you use if any?

14-   What antivirus software do you use if any?

15-    What is your Max Texture Size set to in AH?

16-   What resolution and color depth do you use in AH?  What resolution and color depth is your desktop set to?

17-    What is your Vid Mem Used and Available displaying in AH when you are having problems?

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
Re: System Questionnaire
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2004, 01:13:43 PM »
I played patch 5 only briefly, 10 mins according to log but found it too annoying to play much longer. Will try again tonight or tomorrow so that I can answer your questions more fully.

System Questionnaire

1-   Are you having problems with stutters in Patch 5?  If yes, please describe the frequency, conditions, and severity with which they occur and specify when you began having the problem.  If no, please specify whether you had a problem in the past with AH2 and what version or change to your system alleviated it.

Yes, stutter/freezing every few seconds. Happened in a previous patch but not in patch 4.

2-   Are you having CTD’s in Patch 5?  If yes, please describe the frequency and conditions of the CTD’s and whether this began or intensified with Patch 5.  If no, did you experience CTD’s before Patch 5?

Yes, twice in 10 minutes. Occasionally in patch 4 and before but infrequently and usually when exiting to tower.

3-   Are you having a problem with low frame-rate in Patch 5?  If yes, please describe your video settings and detail sliders along with your framerate from the tower in offline mode with your clipboard minimized.  If no, were you having framerate problems prior to Patch 5 or did you see an improvement in this area with Patch 5?

No problem with framerate in any of the patches.

Windows XP Pro

Intel 2.8Ghz Hyperthreading

ECS 848P-A

7-   What is your video card make and model?  Please include amount of memory and whether it is AGP or PCI.

ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AGP 128MB

512MB

ATI Download version 6.14.10.6451

10-   What level is your anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering set to in you video card setup?

AA - 4X
Ansiotropic - 16X

Audigy Gamer

3/4

Nothing at PC, WGT624 Netgear wireless router (am using imbedded nic wired to router)

Norton 2004, of course ;)

16-   What resolution and color depth do you use in AH?  What resolution and color depth is your desktop set to?

AH -1280x1024 100hz
Desktop - 1024x768 100hz

17-    What is your Vid Mem Used and Available displaying in AH when you are having problems?

Sorry, will have to provide this later

Regarding getting together, you are certainly welcome to come here and check it out. I'm also willing to bring my box there, when's a good time?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2004, 01:16:10 PM by AKIron »
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline detch01

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2004, 01:16:13 PM »
Originally posted by Pyro

System Questionnaire

EDIT: spoke too soon - stutters from hell last night and tonight
From beta build 38 thru patch 4 I had bad stutter problems, some CTD's and invisible GV's at mid ranges. Patch 5 cleared up a these problems for me. Stutters are completely gone now and I can see ground vehicles at ranges between 400 and 2800yds now. Overall a great improvement for me.

Yes. CTD's seem to happen as a result of my ride (airplane or gv) exploding or having shells hit very very close when I'm in a GV, however they don't happen every time these situations show up. When I do get CTDs I either get the bsod or a message box notifying of some "Dhelp error". The CTD's seem to have started with patch 5 for me.

Frame rates actually improved with patch 5 although they were never a problem after about beta 15. I can now run the game with the distance slider set to about 2 1/2 miles instead of the lowest setting.

Win98, Build 4.10, 1998
[/b]
Athlon 1600XP MMX, 3DNow, ~1.4GHz
[/b]
K7SEM
[/b]
Nvidia GeForce 4 MX440, AGPx8, 64MB onboard ram (running in an AGPx4 slot)
[/b]
256MB
[/b]
Omega 4.14.0010.4523 (28/07/03)
[/b]
AA set to none (0); AF set to "application"
[/b]
SiS Direct Sound (onboard), driver: 4.11.0001.3090(21/12/00)
[/b]
3/4's the way to the right
[/b]
Zone Alarm (free version), DI-604 Dlink router.
[/b]
Panda
[/b]
[/b]
1024x768x32 in AH, 1280x1024x32 on the desktop

used starts at 24.4 and rises to 37-ish after about an hour, shows 63.4 available.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2004, 09:07:03 PM by detch01 »
asw
Latrine Attendant, 1st class
semper in excretio, solum profundum variat

Offline quig

• Nickel Member
System Questionnaire
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2004, 01:31:55 PM »
1- Yes, stutters. Occurs when encountering other planes (800-0 away), every time I go to an airbase, when I get near a CV, etc. GV's don't seem to be a problem even though I can hear them fire/reload from a good distance away. Severity: 2-5 second freezes normally. Occasionally longer, depending on the ack/puffy ack conditions.

2- No CTD in patch 5. Had them in patch 4 with the newest ATI drivers, rolled them back to the next-newest version and problem was solved. Tried both sets to get rid of the currents stutters in patch 5, but neither helps.

3- No frame rate problems.

4- Windows XP, Home Edition

5- AMD 64 3000+ 2.0 GHz

6- MSI K8T Neo -FSR

7- ATI Radeon 9800Pro, 128MB, AGP

8- 2x512 PC3200 DDR400

9- Current driver: 6.14.10.6451 dated 6/9/04. Also tried 6.14.10.6444 dated 4/7/04.

10- anti-aliasing: 6x   anisotropic filtering: application preference

11- RealTek AC'97 (on board)

12- Have tried Full to None, same results

13- No firewall installed. Windows XP firewall disabled. Linksys router (BEFW11S4) (no firewall built into the router)

14- No anti-virus installed.

15- Currently 1024. Have tried 1024-256.

16- 1280x1024x32 in-game. Desktop is the same.

17- VidMem available: Normally 120-125. Used: 90-120.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: Re: System Questionnaire
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2004, 01:50:23 PM »
Originally posted by Pyro
System Questionnaire

1- Are you having problems with stutters in Patch 5? If yes, please describe the frequency, conditions, and severity with which they occur and specify when you began having the problem. If no, please specify whether you had a problem in the past with AH2 and what version or change to your system alleviated it.

very little studder problems, no studder or freeze problems before ( no freeze problems now)

2- Are you having CTD’s in Patch 5? If yes, please describe the frequency and conditions of the CTD’s and whether this began or intensified with Patch 5. If no, did you experience CTD’s before Patch 5?

NO, I have yet to have a CTD since around beta patch 31 or 36 time

3- Are you having a problem with low frame-rate in Patch 5? If yes, please describe your video settings and detail sliders along with your framerate from the tower in offline mode with your clipboard minimized. If no, were you having framerate problems prior to Patch 5 or did you see an improvement in this area with Patch 5?

Frame rates went up slightly when airborn by 8 to 10 , frame rates dropped horribly when under 3k alt and over bases , fr is lower also when engaged  or have more than about 4 planes around, was way much better in patch 4. Sliders set to full performance and 0.5 miles detail. download set to 1, all check boxes checked. Still getting the disappearing and redrawing of terrain

Win98se
Athlon XP 1700+ , 1.53GHz actual
ECS K7S5A Pro
Ati Radeon 9000, AGPx4, 64MB DDR
256MB PC2700
ATI 4.3 Cat drivers ( last update for win 98, ME )
AA set to 0; AF set to "application"
AC 97 sound (onboard)
3/4 sound setting in dx
Zone Alarm Pro & DI-604 Dlink router.
Norton's, also use spybot and Micro Trend ( Norton's turned off except when downloading stuff or checking email )
256 Max texture size ( default )
1024x768x32bit in AH ( default )
1024x768x32bit on the desktop  Refresh rate set to 120 mhz ( Vsync off  with Vsync on loss bout 5 fps)
VidMem available: 63.8/61.9. Used: 19/27 ( used more in patch 3, a little less than patch3 in patch 4, patch 5 is even lower)
Framerate in tower (clipboard closed ) usually runs around 32 to 48 ( depending on if clipboard is open or closed , is now running in patch 5, 23 to 36 )
[/B]
« Last Edit: July 04, 2004, 01:54:30 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
System Questionnaire
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2004, 01:59:11 PM »
AKIron, can you give us a call?  817-251-1540

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2004, 02:11:44 PM »
1: studders are hard do explain, sometimes get them  in large furballs (with 10 planes or more in the area) also get them whenever passing a plane in an head on trajectory.

2: havent had a CTD since patch 2 maybe, then it was mostly the whole clipboard dissapearing then.

3: FR are in the low teens (14-16) at a base whenre there are more then 10 planes in a patteren (capped by enemies and such)
FR in the 60's and higher flying at alt even with 5+ squaddies in formation.
FR in the 20's when alone attacking a formation of bombers

most other questions can be answered here:
http://home.wi.rr.com/jabostaffelhq/dxdiag.htm

it has my DX data and at the bottom it has the text form my AH files (video8 and world.cfg files).

i run a dlink router, model dl 704P
i don not run any antivirus while playing any games, i do not run a firewall while playing any games

my video card i have set to 2x antiailiasing, and antiroscopic filtering is off, performance set to "performance" not "quality". vsync is on and all other settings are off.

accelleration is set to full for both sound and graphics.

in AH i have max texture to 512, and all option boxes checked, usually when starting AHII up i have about 65-75mb vid memory used. it slowly creeps up to above 90 but i havent really spent alot of time watching that lately.

any other questions just let me know.
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline o0Stream140o

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2004, 02:33:22 PM »

It seems to have little freezes when the ground is in my front windscreen..  sometimes with many aircaft around.   It happens pretty frequently, patch 4 seemed to have the least of this.

No

Frame rate dropped a little... nothing really noticable just yet...

Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 1 (2600.xpsp2.030618-0119)

Dell Dimension XPS Gen 2,Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz (2 CPUs)

Don't know

ATI Technologies Inc RADEON 9800 XT, 256.0 MB,
Chip type: RADEON 9800 XT AGP (0x4E4A),
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4E4A&SUBSYS_10021002&REV_00

2046MB RAM

Driver Name: ati2dvag.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.6444

Anti-Aliasing 6x
Anisotropic Filtering 8x

Creative SB Audigy 2 Audio [CF00]

3/4

Macfee, but I shut it down while playing

Macfee, also shut this down

Desktop:1152 x 864 (32 bit) (100Hz)
AH: 1200x1000 (32 bit)

Have to get back to you on that...

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
System Questionnaire
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2004, 02:42:27 PM »
Pyro, I tried turning off the AA and the ansiotrophic filtering. Seems that that decreased the duration of the mini freezes and possibly the frequency though I'm not certain about the latter. They definitely become more pronounced when in a low furball.

To recap, here are my settings:

No sound (folder renamed)
1280x1024x32
No AA
No Ansiotropic filtering
Other video cards set to max performance
Vsync on

and the AH2 video prefs:

Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
System Questionnaire
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2004, 03:25:35 PM »
1- I’ve been having problems with stuttering and very poor frame rates in very busy furballs, but I think that it has gotten better with patches or my new RAM.

2- Are you having CTD’s in Patch 5? If yes, please describe the frequency and conditions of the CTD’s and whether this began or intensified with Patch 5. If no, did you experience CTD’s before Patch 5?

3- I just had my first AHII CTD, it came after installing patch 5.  (I’ve had a few lock ups from using Alt-Tab)

4- Windows ME

5- 1.40 gigahertz AMD Athlon

6- ECS K7AMA MOBO

7- NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 AGP 128 MB

8- 1024 Crucial

9- What make and version are your video drivers?
Not sure

10- What level is your anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering set to in you video card setup?
Not sure

11- MOBO default/attached for sound

12- What level is your sound hardware acceleration set to?  
No idea

13- What firewall program or router do you use if any?  
None

14- What antivirus software do you use if any?  
AVAST! (but I shut it down)

15- What is your Max Texture Size set to in AH?

16- What resolution and color depth do you use in AH? What resolution and color depth is your desktop set to?
True Color 32 bit 1024 x 768

17- What is your Vid Mem Used and Available displaying in AH when you are having problems?  
I’ll have to watch next time.

eskimo

Offline warhound

• Zinc Member
System Questionnaire
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2004, 04:20:58 PM »
1- Had stutters in patches 3 and 4 but patch 5 fixed all that.

2- none so far

3- saw an improvement in patch 5

4- Windows XP pro

5- Intel Celeron 1.2Ghz

6- don't know

7- Nvidia GeForce 3 Ti 200 64mb AGP.

8- 256mb

9- Omega 6.14.0010.5303

10- AA 2xQ , AF Aplication-controlled

11- SoundMax Digital Audio (i think)

12- Full

13- Windows XP firewall on

14- AVG Free Edition

15- 512

16- 1024x768 in both

17- no problems so far

Offline Panthor

• Zinc Member
System Questionnaire
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2004, 04:24:32 PM »
1- Are you having problems with stutters in Patch 5? If yes, please describe the frequency, conditions, and severity with which they occur and specify when you began having the problem. If no, please specify whether you had a problem in the past with AH2 and what version or change to your system alleviated it.

Pretty continuous at start-up.  I do a full scan within the cockpit - as the vid mem usage increases the studders decrease.  I get them whenever engaging a new plane type. In furballs and near the ground.  I have always had them but Patch 5 made it impossible to fly.  I tried all the ingame options to make the video performance faster "performance" and none of them helped.

Never had a CTD

3- Are you having a problem with low frame-rate in Patch 5? If yes, please describe your video settings and detail sliders along with your framerate from the tower in offline mode with your clipboard minimized. If no, were you having framerate problems prior to Patch 5 or did you see an improvement in this area with Patch 5?

My fps degraded with every patch.  I finally set all sliders to the right to "performance" - didn't help a bit.

4- What version of Windows are you using?

Win XP Home ed

5- What is your CPU brand and speed?

PIV-1.7

6- What is your motherboard make and model if known?

Unknown - DELL Dimension 8200

7- What is your video card make and model? Please include amount of memory and whether it is AGP or PCI.

ATI 9600 SE AGP 128 MB

8- How much RAM does your system have?

512 MB Dual Channel DDR 800 Mz

9- What make and version are your video drivers?

ATI 6.14.10.6414

10- What level is your anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering set to in you video card setup?

AA and AF set to "Application Preference"

11- What make and model is your soundcard?

SB Live

12- What level is your sound hardware acceleration set to?

3/4 within dxdiag - I tried others with no change

13- What firewall program or router do you use if any?

No firewall - Linsys router

14- What antivirus software do you use if any?

Norton - but disabled during game play

15- What is your Max Texture Size set to in AH?

16- What resolution and color depth do you use in AH? What resolution and color depth is your desktop set to?

both - 1280 x 1024 - 32

17- What is your Vid Mem Used and Available displaying in AH when you are having problems?

problems are continuous.  vid mem usage went DOWN with patch 5.  Im using between 30 MB and 50 MB.  Vid mem usage was up to 90 MB before when the problem was not as severe.

AKPanther

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
System Questionnaire
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2004, 05:11:25 PM »
1- no

2- no

3- no

4- XP Home

5- Intel 3.06 P4

6- Epox INTEL865 EP-4PDA2+

7- AGP Chaintech FX5900XT Nvidia 128meg card

8-  2 x 512MB PC 3200 Ram

9- Nvidia oem drivers ( no problems, didn't mess with'um )

10- 4X for both

11- Soundblaster 512 XP configured it.

12- 3/4

13- none

14- eTrust EZ Virus ( snooze mode for play )

15- 1024

16- 1024x768 True Color for both

17- No problems
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline TweetyBird

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
System Questionnaire
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2004, 05:15:01 PM »
System Questionnaire

I am having stutter problems with patch 5. The stutters seem to occur when I encounter a new object or new view of an object for the first time,( e.g., a muzzle flash, a new plane, 400 yards from the new plane, a new skin etc.).

I am not having nor have ever had problems with CTD's in AH2

I am not haveing problems with framerates in patch 5, and haven't had problems since arround patch 33 or so (whenever they optimized the video).

Windows xp home

athlon XP 2800+   ~2.1 ghz
 Asus A7N8X-LA

NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X

512Mb

Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
   Driver Version: 6.14.0010.4523 (English)

10\
anisotropic- off, anti - aliasing - app cotrolled/off (tried both settings, and stutters for both)

11-
Integrated AC97 audio, realtek alc650 6 channel audio codec subsystem.

12-
  3/4

13-
Zonealarm

14-
Norton

15-
default 256

16-
AH 800x600x32, Desktop 1024x768x32

17-
Varies but from 16.5 - 18mb of 63 available

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
System Questionnaire
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2004, 05:36:45 PM »
Etch take the stutter test that HiTech posted.
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..