Author Topic: AH Head to Head function.....amazing environment!  (Read 506 times)

Offline Badger

• Copper Member
      • Military Surplus Collectors Forums
AH Head to Head function.....amazing environment!
« on: October 09, 2000, 12:35:00 PM »
Hi all.....

I haven't been back here in a while, but I notice not much has changed except Pyro is now locking some of the more inappropriate discussions.  <S> Pyro....

At least you still haven't inherited Field Marshall -bobn-, or some other dysfunctional character called "avenger" who seems to be frequenting AGW and the WWIIOL BBS's lately.    Cross your fingers.  

Anyway, since I've been spending a lot more time enjoying Aces High as opposed to playing the BBS control game, I've discovered some real golden nuggets about Aces High, that some of you may not have tried as yet.  I never realized that the Head to Head function of AH was so powerful and designed as a menu driven system.  It's an excellent software design and I'd like to <salute> HT for the elegance and ease with which he implemented it.  Besides permitting a HOST to set up an arena for up to 8 players, it permits the hosting player to set all of the various field, plane and arena in-game parameters just as a CM (Community Manager) would do.  The really nice feature is that the HOST can use any custom terrain such as Luzon and if others join, it automatically downloads it to them in the same fashion as the main AH server would do.

If you choose Head to Head when you start up Aces High, you get the option to pick from a menu which displays ALL of the current on-line custom arenas that any players have set-up, or select HOST and set-up your own arena that will now display as being available for others to join.  All in all, a fabulous environment and a feature for Aces High that I've really been enjoying a lot.  I had always thought it was like the old WB Head to Head, but this is far superior to that capability.

I've been hosting some early war plan sets lately with just two sides and single planes.  For example, Spit 5 versus 109f and F4U-1D versus A6M5b.  These have made for some great 1vs1 up to 4vs4 engagements using RW.  I've also noticed that there are some really good virtual pilots who log on to these Head to Head servers, perhaps some old WB or AW vets.  So, if you find yourself on any day getting bored with quaking around the MA, choose the head to head menu option and select a game.

If most of you were already aware of this great Aces High feature, I apologize for this message, as I wasn't until I got my head out of here and into the actual game more.

A few caveats.  First, RW doesn't work via channel selection with Head to Head, but you can use it just like you used to with older versions of AH or WB.  Second, be careful with virus invasiveness if you HOST.  I've picked up two of them in the last few weeks and until using the AH Head to Head HOST, I'd never experienced any of them on our in-home four P3 systems, Linksys Router and a Cable modem network.  I used to turn off my Norton Symantec Antivirus 2001 and BlackIce Defender programs to increase FPS when I used AH on-line, but I now leave them turned ON when I HOST only, which seems to have blocked the Trojan planters.  Finally, there's no documentation that I can find on using the arena and field settings, so it's an OJT "on job training" learning curve.  I hope that there are DOCS out there somewhere that I've missed, or that someone is writing this stuff up.  If not, feel free to send me an email and I'll try to help you with the settings that I've become familiar with.

Hitech !  One feature that would be really helpful for this environment would be the ability to display a TEXT file as AH does when you enter the on-line training arena.  It would be real handy to be able to display for new people logging in, what the various planes in use are, fields being utilized and other important arena settings.  It would save a LOT of typing to every new guy who joins.  Thanks....and again, great job on this function.

Regards,
Badger

Looking for a different kind of environment to discuss your favorite on-line flight simulator?
 http://www.egroups.com/group/flightsimsonline

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2000, 12:43:00 PM »
 Thanks Badger. I'm completely, completely clue-less when it comes to H2H and yet I've told friends who want to try it when they can to look me up to see what AH is all about.  
 I'm starting a H2H folder now.

-Westy

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2000, 01:19:00 PM »
 Its different alright. Had a 17 kill sorti going yesterday, in a spit 5, before I ran out of gas. Still had 1000 rounds of ammo left  .

Offline Badger

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2000, 01:25:00 PM »
ahhhhh easymo..... <S>

You've got to stop picking on the newbies.....  

Look for an on-line flyer named SKurj on Head to Head.   Then come back and post your score.  

His ACM is amazing.....

Spit 5 .... yuchhh!   hehe

109f (Franz)  Horrido!!!!!!

Regards,
Badger

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2000, 01:34:00 PM »
 Thanks for the tip. Ill keep an eye out for him  

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2000, 02:20:00 PM »
hehe I think my record is about 13 or 14 kills in H2H before my wife called me away and my poor, unmanned plane smacked a mountain.

-- Todd/DMF

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2000, 03:50:00 PM »
so if I go to head to head I'll see all the current host's automatically?

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Badger

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2000, 04:21:00 PM »

Originally posted by humble:
so if I go to head to head I'll see all the current host's automatically?

Yes....an excellent design...

No need to know IP addresses and all of that other nonsense....

Just select Head to Head at Main Menu, then pick any available game you wish to join.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2000, 07:53:00 PM »

Originally posted by Badger:
ahhhhh easymo..... <S>

You've got to stop picking on the newbies.....  

Look for an on-line flyer named SKurj on Head to Head.   Then come back and post your score.  

His ACM is amazing.....

Spit 5 .... yuchhh!   hehe

109f (Franz)  Horrido!!!!!!

Regards,
Badger

Hmm <$> Badger, dunno whether to say thanx or not +)

Either way I SHOULD be in MA as soon as billing gets around to processing my payment which the RECEIVED LAST WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!

SKurj

Offline rosco-

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2000, 08:18:00 PM »
 Was just wondering. A new person signing up for H2H has to open an account, or sign up for his free 2 week trial? or how does that work? I have a buddy I am trying to get to  try AH out but he has never flown a flight sim before, so I wanted to play around with him in H2H for a while before he starts his 2 week trial, otherwise I fear he may find it too difficult and quit before he realises how much fun it is.

Offline By-Tor

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2000, 08:56:00 PM »
 Could'nt agree more Badger.Now with the Luzon terrain H2H has become VERY cool!
As the endless FFA can become a drag,some hosts such as Badger and Snoopi have set up great historical/team conflicts.
 Also agree that there are some VERY fine sticks lurking!EZ and DMF,Cobraj,the Wildcards squad and MANY other fierce competitors make H2H extremely challenging.
 Highly recommend a good H2H session to all.

Cya up,
     By-Tor

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2000, 06:00:00 PM »
Signed off on my AH account for 90 days...wife,kids,horses,dogs,rats (yes rats),fish,chicken and all other life forms within 100 yds of me and puter were in a life threatening enviornment . Anyway would love to keep my hand in at least a little while I decompress. Can you still play H2H on net or do I need to wait till I re-up?

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Snoopi

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2000, 07:11:00 PM »
Badger:
Any commands you wanna know just ask...
Hmmm....A doc file sounds good.... maybe when I get some time.  
The Text file on entry into the H2H host would be great. Either Pyro or HT said that this was gonna be a feature in future versions..mind you this was stated a couple versions ago.  

Rosco:
Unless things have changed....
When you sign up and get your password, the 2 week trial starts then. It's best that he fly the 2 week trial then fly "always free" H2H. If he misses the 2 weeks without entering the Main Arena then he'll get stuck with a NewU### "generated" ID that is awful.

Yeah..would be nice for some to try H2H first. The best thing for him to do is seek out a Trainer right away. Then fly with friends in the MA that can help out and protect his butt.
2 week trial during 2 week holiday is the best !   (Lock the door, order pizza, make LOTS of coffee and fly for 336 Hours straight)

Regards,
Snoopi

eye

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2000, 10:46:00 PM »
I fought a tiffie pilot in h2h a new user was that you hmble? I was in a 38.

Was a great fight. I was about to ask you when i got dumped.

Fought in a fish bowl of mountains.

EYE

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2000, 03:51:00 AM »

Well, it's not really amazing, but i did try HTH this week.

I like the new maps, and constant dogfights. Kinda like Quake, a real frag O'rama. You kill, they launched pissed, off a cliff, and kill you etc.. Fast and fun for a bit definatley.

Its no doubt a real good gunnery training format, as the MA models real strat, time,distance and position TOO well for a fast learning experience, as it should.

Still, I hope the freebee crowd likes the results, as it's my $30/month to HTC that helps in developing the sim. Sure wish ya all would pay though, I see 3 more guys on payroll developing the sim,not answering questions like "Hey, in free HTH, could you add this...?etc.."